OT: anyone listen to Mike and Mike on the radio? | The Boneyard

OT: anyone listen to Mike and Mike on the radio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I am regular listener to the show on ESPN radio on morning constitutionals and really enjoy the show.
[Mike Greenberg...Mike Golic]

Matt Buckler of the JI...their media analyst...reported that despite good ratings ESPN is considering developing
a morning TV show with Mike Greenberg as host....kind of a Good Morning America with a sports theme.
If that happens he suggests they may replace him with Mike Golic Jr.

Greenie presents himself as a huge sports fan combo nerd....but he drives the bus on the current show.
He is the one who brings up topics and leads the conversational flow. IMO....it's easier to replace Golic when he is off than it is Greenie. Mike Jr. takes that role? Not sure if that works...though when he is on as a guest he is more glib than Dad....more easily presents his views.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Well, you may prefer Greenie, but I prefer Golic. he is a rational, mature human being (although he does like his donuts..). He also really understand sports and how players and coaches work.
Greenie has never met a hyperbole he could not overblow, nor has he ever failed to over-react to anything that offends his metro-sexual sensibilities. He is SO quick to disparage anyone who does not meet his behavior standards, but is WAY too quick to think it's funny to call Golic stupid. Which he is not. If Greenie's kids acted like Greenie, Mrs. Greenie would have given them a good talking to. Does he drive the bus, yes, because he seriously needs all the attention he can get, to prove he is no longer a nerd. But, in fact he still is a nerd.

That said, I have been listening to them every morning since day one, and in fact listened to Golic with his previous broadcast partners before that.

I infinitely prefer them to any other morning show. And I would rather do just about anything than listen to the show that follows with Dan LeBatard and "Stugatz."

Reaction Score
I watch them as I am getting ready for work. I too, prefer Golic, but i think they balance each other well.

Are you saing replace Mike Golic with Jr?? That would be horrible! Sorry but Jr can't hold a candle to his dad.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
No...Buckler was suggesting ESPN is considering replacing Greenie with Golic Jr.

Reaction Score
Don't agree with that either. I like Greenie and Golic together. Why mess with a good thing?

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Don't agree with that either. I like Greenie and Golic together. Why mess with a good thing?

Here's why: ESPN has shown long term profits below corporate expectations. The gigantic amounts paid for broadcast rights has caused that, in part. They have down-sized and cut production costs as a result. Talking heads are generally cheaper to produce than on-field coverage of actual sports events. Talking about such programming shake-ups is also Disney's way to gain leverage, especially if the performers' contracts are up for renewal.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Golic is from ND. Do you really need another reason to get rid of him?

Reaction Score
I listen for a minute if I'm in my car and the radio was already tuned to ESPN when I turn it on that time of day. Greenie does nothing for me. IMO their classic, "You take this side, I'll take that side, and we'll argue this point to death" schtick is tired, and they have become caricatures of themselves, especially Greenie (They have attempted to make Golic a caricature too, with the "donuts" routine, etc., but since he lost 50 pounds that doesn't really work). I think Golic has reasonable and realistic points of view from his actual experience, when allowed. But mostly nowadays they're trying to make the show about themselves, not about sports. They do get great guests, and I listen to some of them, then switch back to Dan Patrick.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I enjoy watching/listening to live sports talk shows. I've been a fan of the show for years. I'm comfortable with the two co-hosts. I don't really need them to entertain me, just talk about what's trending in the sports world. They've been together for 16 years, so they must be doing something right as far as the company is concerned. They've outlasted every other show that started when they did.

The fact that Greenie is a bit "soft", does not bother me. He carries the show. If they were a play-by play team, Greenie would call the action, and Golic would be the color man. You may or may not not like their show, but they did receive an Emmy Award, and they've both made millions being on the show over the duration. A 4 hour a day show on TV for 5 days a week pays very very well.

To me, it's the best sports program in the morning. It's not perfect, but it's OK. I also enjoy ESPN's The NFL Insiders and Pardon the Interruption with Tony Kornheiser and Mike Wilbon. Two shows that I can't watch/stomach any more is First take, and The Dan LeBatard Show.

First was OK when Jay was still the host, and they had rotating guests. Once Steven A became a regular, I began to lose interest. I never did like Skip. When the show was hosted by Jay Crawford and Dana Jacobson, and they featured a round table of in studio guests, I enjoyed it.

I've watched Skip & Shannon undisputed on Fox Sports 1 a couple of times. I like to hear Shannon, but I still can't take Skip. He still comes off as a know it all, who is never wrong, and you're never right if you don't agree with him.

A guy who never play one second of professional sports, and will argue tirelessly with those that have, insisting that they are wrong. Now, the best First Take shows are when the regular cast is off, and they bring in 3-4 new reporters or analysts to set at the debate desk.

After Ship went out of his way to make a very unnecessary and uncalled for sarcastic and disrespectful remark under his breath that went out over the air, to Eric Mangini who was a semi-regular analyst on the show, I lost what little respect I had for Skip. Skip is a squirrel.

He comes off as the only person on the show that knows anything. Everybody else is wrong, no matter who you are, no matter what your opinion is. If you don't agree with him, you're wrong.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I enjoy watching/listening to live sports talk shows. I've been a fan of the show for years. I'm comfortable with the two co-hosts. I don't really need them to entertain me, just talk about what's trending in the sports world. They've been together for 16 years, so they must be doing something right as far as the company is concerned. They've outlasted every other show that started when they did.

The fact that Greenie is a bit "soft", does not bother me. He carries the show. If they were a play-by play team, Greenie would call the action, and Golic would be the color man. You may or may not not like their show, but they did receive an Emmy Award, and they've both made millions being on the show over the duration. A 4 hour a day show on TV for 5 days a week pays very very well.

To me, it's the best sports program in the morning. It's not perfect, but it's OK. I also enjoy ESPN's The NFL Insiders and Pardon the Interruption with Tony Kornheiser and Mike Wilbon. Two shows that I can't watch/stomach any more is First take, and The Dan LeBatard Show.

First was OK when Jay was still the host, and they had rotating guests. Once Steven A became a regular, I began to lose interest. I never did like Skip. When the show was hosted by Jay Crawford and Dana Jacobson, and they featured a round table of in studio guests, I enjoyed it.

I've watched Skip & Shannon undisputed on Fox Sports 1 a couple of times. I like to hear Shannon, but I still can't take Skip. He still comes off as a know it all, who is never wrong, and you're never right if you don't agree with him.

A guy who never play one second of professional sports, and will argue tirelessly with those that have, insisting that they are wrong. Now, the best First Take shows are when the regular cast is off, and they bring in 3-4 new reporters or analysts to set at the debate desk.

After Ship went out of his way to make a very unnecessary and uncalled for sarcastic and disrespectful remark under his breath that went out over the air, to Eric Mangini who was a semi-regular analyst on the show, I lost what little respect I had for Skip. Skip is a squirrel.

He comes off as the only person on the show that knows anything. Everybody else is wrong, no matter who you are, no matter what your opinion is. If you don't agree with him, you're wrong.
Always thought of Skip as MR never right.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I listened to probably around 15 min of Greenburg trying to convince Herm Edwards, Golic, and Ryan Clark he'd make a good Robin today. The show's good when they stick to sports talk, but they wander into strange territory far to often.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I listened to probably around 15 min of Greenburg trying to convince Herm Edwards, Golic, and Ryan Clark he'd make a good Robin today. The show's good when they stick to sports talk, but they wander into strange territory far to often.

I agree. They've got four hours to kill each morning. This leaves a lot of "filler" time that they can go off on tangents, personal agendas (issues), and wagers on upcoming games, etc. I really enjoy it when Ryan Clark and Louis Riddick visit the desk. They are two no non-sense former football players that know what they are talking about, and are entertaining at the same time.

Anybody know what happened to Chris Carter? ESPN dropped him without a word, and he has not surfaced anywhere else since.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I enjoyed Chris Carter...his sense of humor and his football insights.
Just a guess as to why they may have not renewed him: He spoke to NFL rookies a couple of years ago....and told them that they had to find someone in their insider-group to take the blame for any misdeeds the player committed....including any criminal activity. The 'posse' guy should confess that he did it....absolving the football star. That comment was up on an NFL site for a long time....and eventually CC apologized for it. I doubt the comment itself and his late apology went over well with ESPN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom