OT Anyone have a gym at home? | The Boneyard

OT Anyone have a gym at home?

Reaction Score
Curious to hear if any yarders are into working out at home...

Ive been exercising for about 10-12 years. I started at PF, moved to LAF, the Edge, then tried Crossfit for a while, now back to PF and I’m miserable (had to save$). Fell in love with Crossfit but the prices and open hours are a joke, so I left. Also the “team” mentality and “coaching” just wasn’t for me, but I learned a lot. Because I have a dog and soon to be dad I’m trying to save money in the long term by taking second hand equipment and purchasing the essentials for my unfinished basement.

Got a second hand piece of equipment from family for pull downs and seated row also purchased some cheap rubber mats. Now I’m looking at a buying a dual-use bench/squat rack, adjustable dumbell weights, a barbell, and rubber bumper weights totaling 200-250 lbs. I can pick get some of this off amazon totaling $500-$750 for brands I’ve never heard of but have good consumer ratings. I’m Not trying to turn into a buff bagwell, just want to stay in shape and invest about 5+ hrs/week to fitness like I used to on my own schedule, save gas and time at home.

Did anyone here build a home gym before?
Did you try amazon for anything?
Are there any local places around CT that sell cheap second hand equipment?
Any brands to stray away from?

thanks!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Sort of. Treadmill, stationary bike, bench, dumbbells, medicine ball, yoga mat, and a set of resistance bands. Plus a TV. I have combat ropes in the adjoining room. I was really good about it for awhile. Need to get back at it again.

Reaction Score
Sort of. Treadmill, stationary bike, bench, dumbbells, medicine ball, yoga mat, and a set of resistance bands. Plus a TV. I have combat ropes in the adjoining room. I was really good about it for awhile. Need to get back at it again.

Combat ropes, nice. Are they noisy in the house?

Reaction Score
Did anyone here build a home gym before?
A 35-lb kettlebell and an iron gym bar is my go-to. My favorite routine is 30 swings, then 10 push-ups, then 30 swings, then 9 push-ups, etc etc all the way down to one. End up doing 300 swings and 55 push-ups.

Absolutely destroys me, but it's worth it. And if you really feel like punishing yourself, do 10 Turkish get-ups for fun.

Reaction Score
Get yourself a landmine press. If you get a squat rack you can just attach it to your rack, if not get a portable one. You can do a million different back and shoulder exercises with just a landmine and a barbell. You can also hit your core, chest, and even legs with it.

Watch "Home Gym Equipment| The Landmine Trainer" on YouTube

Reaction Score
I had a Bowflex type machine last time I was seriously into working out. I loved it. If I had space for one in my condo i'd get another one.

If you're not a body builder or professional athlete, you don't really need anything else. I worked out on it all during HS and was top-3 in every category on my football team for bench, squat and deadlift even though I never did those free weights exercises outside of team testing.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Combat ropes, nice. Are they noisy in the house?

if I wasn’t in the basemen, yes. But I really love the intensity. If you are short on time, those are great.

Reaction Score
Do you have enough room for Trx bands or, similar, rings? So versatile

Good thinking. I like using them for upper body and core but haven’t been to a gym that has them in a while. Inexpensive addition, thanks!

Reaction Score
I had a Bowflex type machine last time I was seriously into working out. I loved it. If I had space for one in my condo i'd get another one.

If you're not a body builder or professional athlete, you don't really need anything else. I worked out on it all during HS and was top-3 in every category on my football team for bench, squat and deadlift even though I never did those free weights exercises outside of team testing.

Ive used the bow flex before. It’s a good machine. My only concern is price, obviously. Already got a hand-me-down similar which should help with a lot of upper body workouts

Reaction Score
Get yourself a landmine press. If you get a squat rack you can just attach it to your rack, if not get a portable one. You can do a million different back and shoulder exercises with just a landmine and a barbell. You can also hit your core, chest, and even legs with it.

Watch "Home Gym Equipment| The Landmine Trainer" on YouTube

I honestly didn’t even think of that and for the cost it’s not a bad idea! I took advantage of the landmine when I used to go to the edge, whenever it was open that is.

Thanks @superjohn

Reaction Score
If you are buying brands you’re not familiar with on Amazon, FakeSpot is your friend.

A lot of sellers use dummy accounts to post fake positive reviews and boost their Amazon ratings.

FakeSpot’s algorithm identifies suspicious review activity (same language in multiple reviews, etc) and lets you know if the reviews are legit as a whole or if there’s something weird going on. It’s saved me from a bad purchase decision more than a few times.

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
I have a garage gym with about ten thousand dollars worth of equipment that I’ve been buying since the mid 90’s. Top of the line , LAF level equipment. The majority of the stuff I bought before I had a family and purchased at Total Fitness In Milford. The actual weights and smaller stuff I got from Bargain News sellers. There’s always people that are moving and won’t to get rid of weight equipment for cheap. My advice is never buy cheap cardio equipment. Make the investment for gym level treadmills or gliders. My only problem is heat in my gym when winter comes but you can’t beat the convenience and flexibility.

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
I have an older bowflex sport, bowflex treadmill & elliptical. I got the 2 bowflex machines through a liguidation site that was auctioning off assorted goods by the pallet for $700 bucks at the time, sold the stuff I didn't want, ended up turning a profit & kept the stuff I wanted. The treadmill is really nice compared to the average ones out there. I inherited the elliptical

Reaction Score
Do you have enough room for Trx bands or, similar, rings? So versatile
Great advice. I take them when i travel if my hotel doesn’t have a good gym. They a nice complement to other work or can be a stand alone workout. Best core workout IMO

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom