OT: Anyone familiar with the DFW area? | The Boneyard

OT: Anyone familiar with the DFW area?

Status
Not open for further replies.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I have never (outside of airports) been to Texas, but I have a business trip where I'll be staying in Grapevine between Dallas and Ft. Worth and I decided to bring the family, including a 2.5 yr old and a 6 month old. I have done some research on kid-friendly attractions, but I am looking for any insight from folks familiar with the area. Anyone have any must-see attractions or areas or any fun stuff for kids they can recommend? TIA

Reaction Score
There's a Six Flags near the stadiums in Arlington but yours may be young. I'm familiar with the area but not from a kid's perspective.

One thing you should definitely hit is Dealey Plaza in downtown Dallas. The Book Depository Museum is skippable. Just walk around the Grassy Knoll area and such. Pretty cool if you're into American history.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
I live in the Grapevine area. Grapevine Mills mall has a Sea Life aquarium and LegoLand inside of it which your young ones should enjoy. Great Wolf Lodge is also nearby and has an 80,000 sq ft water park for kids attached to it.

huskypantz

Reaction Score
My oldest will be 2 1/2, so we're looking for very basic stuff. So far I've found the Dallas Arboretum/children's adventure garden and the Dallas Zoo (looks like it has a decent children's zoo area). My wife will have the kids during the day when I'm at the convention so I am thinking that the grapevine mills mall will be her first stop, sounds great. We went to the sea life aquarium at the mall of america, it was very nice and I'm sure my daughter will love it. Are there any areas in DFW similar to a faneuil hall in Boston?

cttxus

Reaction Score
Nothing quite like Faneuil Hall that I know of but Main Street in Grapevine is pretty close. 1/2 mile long historic district with lots of unique shops, restaurants, bakeries, etc. And at one end you can even catch a Victorian era train ride with a real steam engine (the Tarantula) 21 miles from Grapevine to the Ft. Worth Stockyards and back. That's a pretty cool ride. The Stockyards are a must see if you appreciate the old west (real cowboys, longhorns, stock show, general store, saloons, Cattleman's restaurant). Billy Bob's is also there but not the kind of place you take toddlers ;-). Back in Grapevine there's also the Gaylord Texan hotel which has 3 acres of hotel, shops, restaurants all along a mini River Walk (like the one in San Antonio) under one roof.
http://www.grapevinetexasusa.com/grapevine-vintage-railroad/?gclid=CLaegPjii70CFUtp7AodXX0ACw
http://www.fortworthstockyards.org/

huskypantz

Reaction Score
Nothing quite like Faneuil Hall that I know of but Main Street in Grapevine is pretty close. 1/2 mile long historic district with lots of unique shops, restaurants, bakeries, etc. And at one end you can even catch a Victorian era train ride with a real steam engine (the Tarantula) 21 miles from Grapevine to the Ft. Worth Stockyards and back. That's a pretty cool ride. The Stockyards are a must see if you appreciate the old west (real cowboys, longhorns, stock show, general store, saloons, Cattleman's restaurant). Billy Bob's is also there but not the kind of place you take toddlers ;-). Back in Grapevine there's also the Gaylord Texan hotel which has 3 acres of hotel, shops, restaurants all along a mini River Walk (like the one in San Antonio) under one roof.
http://www.grapevinetexasusa.com/grapevine-vintage-railroad/?gclid=CLaegPjii70CFUtp7AodXX0ACw
http://www.fortworthstockyards.org/
That sounds fun, I think we'll definitely do the train to the stockyards. We're staying at the Gaylord Texan, sounds like there's enough there for the family to hang out for a couple of days while I'm busy.

Is sundance square in Ft Worth something we could do as an evening trip?

Reaction Score
Been living in North Dallas for a year now. Dallas Zoo and Dallas Aquarium should be fun for the little ones. Beware the rush hour traffic, and thick southern accents though.

cttxus

Reaction Score
That sounds fun, I think we'll definitely do the train to the stockyards. We're staying at the Gaylord Texan, sounds like there's enough there for the family to hang out for a couple of days while I'm busy.

Is sundance square in Ft Worth something we could do as an evening trip?
Yes. Sundance Square is basically the entertainment & restaurant district in downtown Ft. Worth. It's about a 30 minutes drive from the Gaylord except during rush hour when it would be more like 45 minutes. I know you have toddlers but Bass Hall is a real gem if you like off-Broadway shows and one is in town. I Love Lucy is this week/weekend which my wife and I plan to attend on Thursday. If you want to sample the local foods, there's a very good Tex-Mex restaurant nearby called Mi Cocina.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
If you don't know anyone in the area, its doubtful you can pawn off the tikes anywhere. A 2 1/2 year or 6 month old probably wouldn't understand it, but for any adolescent or older, the 6th Floor Museum and Daley Plaza is a must. My uncle used to live in Dallas. He said we could get through it in under a couple hours. I think my wife and I were there for four or five.

Last edited:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
For kids, the Dallas World Aquarium.

huskypantz

Reaction Score
@cttxus or others in the DFW area - any restaurant recommendations for downtown grapevine? Needs to be family-friendly. We will definitely check out Mi Cocina in Sundance Square.

cttxus

Reaction Score
@cttxus or others in the DFW area - any restaurant recommendations for downtown grapevine? Needs to be family-friendly. We will definitely check out Mi Cocina in Sundance Square.

There's a Rainforest Cafe right inside one of the main entrances to Grapevine Mills Mall that should work.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
What I have gathered from this thread is that they key things to see in TX are malls, legos and hostage animals. Thank god for New England :cool:

Husky25

Reaction Score
What I have gathered from this thread is that they key things to see in TX are malls, legos and hostage animals. Thank god for New England :cool:
And the 6th Floor Museum.

Reaction Score
And the 6th Floor Museum.

I enjoyed walking around the grounds a lot more than the actual museum itself. I heard that they recently paved over the "X"'s where Kennedy was shot. There's also a bullet hole in the pavement by one of the sewer drains by the road.

The museum was ok, but it's been so commericialized that you don't really get the feel that you're in a historical landmark. Even though the window has been blocked off and "preserved", it didn't WOW me.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I enjoyed walking around the grounds a lot more than the actual museum itself. I heard that they recently paved over the "X"'s where Kennedy was shot. There's also a bullet hole in the pavement by one of the sewer drains by the road.

The museum was ok, but it's been so commericialized that you don't really get the feel that you're in a historical landmark. Even though the window has been blocked off and "preserved", it didn't WOW me.

We have differing opinions then, which is fine. My uncle, who at the time had lived in Dallas for 25 years, said we would probably spend a couple hours in the museum. He had been there about a dozen times showing friends and family (including my immediate family) around Dallas. My wife and I spend 4. then another hour on the grounds of Dealey Plaza. Of course the Kennedy Assassination is a real interest of mine, so we read almost every placard, word by word, and visited every known (in)famous spot. I really didn't appreciate the vendors on the grassy knoll, but at the same time, I do not begrudge some one trying to make him/herself a living. It is what it is.

Reaction Score
I've stayed at that Gaylord. It has an almost amusement park atmosphere. The pool becomes a go to alternative if you want to stay closer to the hotel. All kids love a hotel pool.

Reaction Score
I have never (outside of airports) been to Texas, but I have a business trip where I'll be staying in Grapevine between Dallas and Ft. Worth and I decided to bring the family, including a 2.5 yr old and a 6 month old. I have done some research on kid-friendly attractions, but I am looking for any insight from folks familiar with the area. Anyone have any must-see attractions or areas or any fun stuff for kids they can recommend? TIA
Haven't visited him for years but my brother lives in Grapevine and has for about 25 years. It's a lovely community and it's proximity to Dallas and to Fort Worth along with Arlington means there's bunches of things going on. I happened to like Fort Worth but again, I don't know how much has changed in the 12 years since I've been there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom