OT - Anyone else a droner? | The Boneyard

OT - Anyone else a droner?

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
I have just taken up a new hobby, sort of. I acquired a drone primarily to do video & stills from the air. It's really just an extension of my photography obsession. However I never realized how much fun it was (and how much there is to learn)!

First you have to learn to fly the aircraft. Then you have to learn how to effectively use the camera. Of course when you have all this video 'in the can' you have to learn a new software package to edit it.

Is anyone else here flying one?

Here is one of my amateurish 1st attempts at video - went to Kent Falls yesterday:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I have just taken up a new hobby, sort of. I acquired a drone primarily to do video & stills from the air. It's really just an extension of my photography obsession. However I never realized how much fun it was (and how much there is to learn)!

First you have to learn to fly the aircraft. Then you have to learn how to effectively use the camera. Of course when you have all this video 'in the can' you have to learn a new software package to edit it.

Is anyone else here flying one?

Here is one of my amateurish 1st attempts at video - went to Kent Falls yesterday:

Fascinating I am sure. very great photography. Effective tool for many jobs. My only concern is the possible intrusion into others privacy by unscrupulous users. Not in any way suggesting that you are such a user. In the hands of the right people they are a godsend. I have never seen Kent Falls , until now! :)

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
We have had a DJI Phantom since they first came out. We also got it due to my wife's photography. As far as invading the privacy of others, we live on a 40 acre farm in the NC boonies and it doesn't have the range to leave our property. That's also the reason why we don't use it as often as we thought we would use it, it freaks out our farm critters.

Reaction Score
I think that the use of the drone for photography on public lands is A-OK. However, you better make sure you do not violate any privacy issues. I recently saw the use of a drone in Utah at Canyonlands National Park. I am also aware for a fact that drones have been blown out of the sky over private ranch lands here in Northeaster New Mexico.

Reaction Score
I just bought a DJI Mavic Pro 2 and am learning to fly it. The technology is incredible. And veryolddog- it's funny, I'm headed to New Mexico next month on a photo trip ( I do a lot of nature and wildlife photography) - I'm planning on bringing the drone and doing some aerial photography in a few "out of the way" places - I guess I had better be careful...!

Reaction Score
I just bought a DJI Mavic Pro 2 and am learning to fly it. The technology is incredible. And veryolddog- it's funny, I'm headed to New Mexico next month on a photo trip ( I do a lot of nature and wildlife photography) - I'm planning on bringing the drone and doing some aerial photography in a few "out of the way" places - I guess I had better be careful...!

85 to 90 per cent of the lands in NM are public lands. Be very careful about flying that drone over private lands. Some of those folks are very grumpy and do not want to tolerate a violation of their privacy. This occurs usually on private property where a popular river or stream runs through private lands and folks want to sneak on that land to fly fish for trout. It also occurs on land like mine where poachers are trying to see if the mule deer or elk start to migrate from the mountains to meadow land for winter nesting. I have had a few head of cattle killed by poachers for fun and I have found dead elk on my property without its head leaving the carcass of meat to rot. It is very tough to patrol 5000 acres and if I could get motion detectable sensors, I would consider sending a drone up to take pictures of the trespassers to send to the Sheriff.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Why drone on and on about it, when you can just drone it!

And these will help keep you firmly on the ground.
1538226752207.png

Do you see what I did there. If you don't your droning license should be suspended.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
85 to 90 per cent of the lands in NM are public lands. Be very careful about flying that drone over private lands. Some of those folks are very grumpy and do not want to tolerate a violation of their privacy. This occurs usually on private property where a popular river or stream runs through private lands and folks want to sneak on that land to fly fish for trout. It also occurs on land like mine where poachers are trying to see if the mule deer or elk start to migrate from the mountains to meadow land for winter nesting. I have had a few head of cattle killed by poachers for fun and I have found dead elk on my property without its head leaving the carcass of meat to rot. It is very tough to patrol 5000 acres and if I could get motion detectable sensors, I would consider sending a drone up to take pictures of the trespassers to send to the Sheriff.

3 1/2 inch skeet loads ... maybe #8 .... no problem. ;)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Yes, I am an antodroner. Here's a taste of why: After being up on YouTube for 3 years this guy has 23 views including mine, but he scares me:

See his MENSA certificate over his left shoulder?

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
My wife saw this thread title and interpreted it a little differently. She said nearly all the old men on this thread, and she tolerates old men fairly well, are droners. :rolleyes:

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
Yes, I am an antodroner. Here's a taste of why: After being up on YouTube for 3 years this guy has 23 views including mine, but he scares me:
See his MENSA certificate over his left shoulder?

Really not sure why he would scare you Rocky. Most of the video is pointing out all the stupid stuff not to do. . .

Adressing a couple of his points -
My aircraft will not takeoff if I am too close to a commercial airfield. The first time I used it I took it to a ball field behind one of our local schools. As soon as I started it, I was warned that there was a 'recreational airfield' within 5 mi. To be honest I did not realize that it was that close. Because of the type of airfield and my proximity I could takeoff and I limited my elevation to under 100'. Not much chance of interferring with an aircraft since the trees were 60-70 ft tall.

National Parks, The White House, The Statue of Liberty are all No Fly Zones. My drone cannot even enter that airspace. If you are flying to the boundary of one of these areas the aircraft will just stop short of it and hover in place.

Can those things be done? I am sure some people can find a way. Its not any different than a hundred other activities that can be abused.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
I think that the use of the drone for photography on public lands is A-OK. However, you better make sure you do not violate any privacy issues. I recently saw the use of a drone in Utah at Canyonlands National Park. I am also aware for a fact that drones have been blown out of the sky over private ranch lands here in Northeaster New Mexico.

I'm with you doggy. As I mentioned in a previous post National Parks are No Fly Zones. You can, however, get permission to fly them. The government makes it financially very uncomfortable to do so as I understand a day's permission can run $1000's. If you are doing a commercial movie probably in the budget but an amateur like me. . .

I'm a big privacy person but as a photographer I have rights too. You may not like me taking pictures of you or your horse but if you are visible from a public area or in a public area with no expectation of privacy then you are fair game.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Maybe you saw the guy peeing into Old Faithful a week plus ago? That isn't allowed either. If only Old faithful had been a little bit early that afternoon. Steamed weiner. Can hardly wait until we have thousands of them in the sky delivery pizza and take out Oriental.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Designated Wilderness Areas within National Forests are also no fly zones. It's definitely becoming a topic being debated here in the NW. I've seen some amazing photography and video recorded by drones in mountainous terrain. They do make kind of an annoying buzzing sound. Does one person's desire to fly their drone around and take pictures trump everyone else's desire to not hear such noise? Also I've seen several accounts of drone pilots violating no fly zones. As of now they are fairly uncommon but if at some point in the future you get to look forward to having a dozen drones buzzing around every time you go hiking, I could see a huge backlash coming.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I'm with you doggy. As I mentioned in a previous post National Parks are No Fly Zones. You can, however, get permission to fly them. The government makes it financially very uncomfortable to do so as I understand a day's permission can run $1000's. If you are doing a commercial movie probably in the budget but an amateur like me. . .

I'm a big privacy person but as a photographer I have rights too. You may not like me taking pictures of you or your horse but if you are visible from a public area or in a public area with no expectation of privacy then you are fair game.

And if you spook the horse and maim the rider you will be fair game too. But you'll land the drone and accept being identified and being financially responsibe, right? Very apt choice of words: Fair Game.
Really not sure why he would scare you Rocky. Most of the video is pointing out all the stupid stuff not to do. . .

Adressing a couple of his points -
My aircraft will not takeoff if I am too close to a commercial airfield. The first time I used it I took it to a ball field behind one of our local schools. As soon as I started it, I was warned that there was a 'recreational airfield' within 5 mi. To be honest I did not realize that it was that close. Because of the type of airfield and my proximity I could takeoff and I limited my elevation to under 100'. Not much chance of interferring with an aircraft since the trees were 60-70 ft tall.

National Parks, The White House, The Statue of Liberty are all No Fly Zones. My drone cannot even enter that airspace. If you are flying to the boundary of one of these areas the aircraft will just stop short of it and hover in place.

Can those things be done? I am sure some people can find a way. Its not any different than a hundred other activities that can be abused.

It was a joke. Mensa guy with strangely alert look in his eyes.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Just bought a Mavic Air and its really easy to fly and you get great views.

If you have interest at all you can get into a Mavic Spark refurbed for about $275 and its a fun small drone. Registration with the FAA is $5.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
And if you spook the horse and maim the rider you will be fair game too. But you'll land the drone and accept being identified and being financially responsibe, right? Very apt choice of words: Fair Game.

My bad - I was referring to regular photography, should have made that clear :(

My drone is pretty much inaudible at 300 ft away. No responsible pilot would bring their drone anywhere near any animal - for just the reason you mentioned.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
My bad - I was referring to regular photography, should have made that clear :(

My drone is pretty much inaudible at 300 ft away. No responsible pilot would bring their drone anywhere near any animal - for just the reason you mentioned.

Still, you did say "responsible pilot". Another device to play with airline pilots and jet engines in the hands of irresponsible drone pilots. You are aware of the pilot near miss reports on these things as well as their use by ISIS in bomb attacks. I know, they use cars too; should we ban cars? I just don't like drones. Don't want to ban anything. Eventually water finds it's own level. I'm sure Pizza Hut will self report and do the right thing when one of their pies goes splat on someone's windshield and cause a 4 car pileup ... the forensics lab will match the sauceanyway and gotcha!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom