OT: any teachers/school administrators here? | The Boneyard

OT: any teachers/school administrators here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sorry team, this has nothing to do with basketball and is pretty much the same thread as the "just graduated" one.

Anyways, just graduated from UConn with a masters in education with a concentration in social studies. Was wondering if anyone is a teacher, administrator or has any kinds of connections to public schools in CT?...it's rough out there.

Anyways, I'm a history nerd and UConn die-hard. If that's what you're looking for in a candidate, I'm your man.

Worth a shot, right?

Reaction Score
Got my bachelors in History/Social Studies and my 7-12 Cert...

Two years and no Social Studies jobs later I got my Master's in Spec. Ed. and am finishing my first year as a special ed teacher.

Social Studies jobs are TOUGH to come by. Getting an interview is a miracle and most of the time districts already have a person with connections they know they're going to hire before the interview process even starts and the interviews are a formality.

That said, don't get frustrated. You literally graduated on what, Sunday? A lot districts haven't even posted their jobs yet. If you don't get a job this year it doesn't mean you suck. Get an in with a district anyway possible. Substitute/para/afterschool program/lunchlady/whatever it takes. Do that for a year and next year YOU'LL be the person with the "in"that the district already knows they want to hire.

I took a job as an assistant teacher and did that for a year. The district said they like me and wanted me to go back and get my special ed cert and they'll hire me in a second. I did and they did. That's how these things happen.

And no sorry no real connections here. Just check ctreap.net indeed.com and k12jobspot like THAT's your job until you find one.

Reaction Score
Finishing up my 11th year in education... It is very tough out there and as was previously said, often times districts already have their candidate prior to the interviews. My advice is to follow what Boatshow said. The easiest way to get an "in," is to get out there and start building connections. Teaching is an amazing job; tough as hell and much more difficult than the Average Joe thinks, but amazing all the same. If you have the passion for it, you will find your spot.

Reaction Score
I'm no teacher but I do know that inner city schools are always looking for qualified and willing teachers, especially male. Just because you start there (gain experience) doesn't mean you end there. Who knows you may be able to make an impact.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Substitute.
You will get on a list and get called a lot.
Then you have to get a little lucky. Teachers go on maternity leave, get ill, burn out.
The principle needs a live body. He knows you. He doesn't have to go through a lengthy interview process so he hires you as a full time temp. Now, you gain experience and if you do a good job, the head of he department and principle feel like they owe you and that you can do the job. The teacher decides not to come back. You get the job.
Gotta get your foot in the door.
This works. Back in the day, the head of the department offered me a job after three weeks substituting for a Spanish class. at Hillhouse. Her reason was that the kids seem to like me.
Spanish was not my major and I had other plans at the time.
You have to get into a school system and then you will be the guy who already has the job.

Reaction Score
and plus 1,000,000 on ctreap... Just a quick search shows 26 open Social Studies positions. Assuming you have an 026, you should get busy filling out some apps!

Oh yeah, as someone who sits on interview committees quite often, I will tell you that your letters of rec are very important. Get as many as you can so you have "good" ones to present in your application. It's amazing how many applicants submit totally mediocre letters that actually hurt their candidacy.

Lastly, when you do interview, try to be a "real" person and not some textbook rehearsed, edubabble spouting robot. We know all the "buzzwords" and terminology, we are looking for someone who can think on their own and apply these concepts into their teaching. Not someone who is going to hide behind the terms they just learned in their "methods" class.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
UConnTrumbull said:
Sorry team, this has nothing to do with basketball and is pretty much the same thread as the "just graduated" one. Anyways, just graduated from UConn with a masters in education with a concentration in social studies. Was wondering if anyone is a teacher, administrator or has any kinds of connections to public schools in CT?...it's rough out there. Anyways, I'm a history nerd and UConn die-hard. If that's what you're looking for in a candidate, I'm your man. Worth a shot, right?
my wife is an elementary teacher in New Canaan. she suggests sending a letter and info to Gary Kass the assistant superintendent.

Reaction Score
I've been and administrator in rural, suburban and urban schools. I would recommend looking into urban settings. Jobs are more plentiful and if you are a good teacher and a caring person I think you'll surprise youself at how much like working in the urban centers because of the positive difference you can make. That being said, your area of certification is a difficult one in which to find a career but not impossible. Take subbing jobs, tutoring jobs and start building connections with administrators. Things open up at all different times throughout the year so keep positive and GOOD LUCK!

Reaction Score
I did all of what Boatshow said and it got me my first job. It may be difficult and yes they get somewhere near 100 apps for attractive teaching jobs in CT but if you network, are seen in the community often, constantly doing extra things and giving back to the students in the community, you will find something soon. All of that stuff puts you ahead of 90% of the applicants who are from different areas of the state and have no connections. Another site to peruse is schoolspring.com

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm no teacher but I do know that inner city schools are always looking for qualified and willing teachers, especially male. Just because you start there (gain experience) doesn't mean you end there. Who knows you may be able to make an impact.
Exactly, try Windham.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
My wife has also interviewed many people for openings in her department. Although the applicant pool is large remember this...half of them, if not more, are inept mo mos. Just do your best to be professional. Be on time for every interview. If the interviewers are late, do not leave the premises to get a bit to eat.

Do not refer to the Boneyard.

Reaction Score
My wife has also interviewed many people for openings in her department. Although the applicant pool is large remember this...half of them, if not more, are inept mo mos. Just do your best to be professional. Be on time for every interview. If the interviewers are late, do not leave the premises to get a bit to eat.

Do not refer to the Boneyard.

Also, and one would think it goes without saying, but make sure you dress the part! We had a woman in the other day who was dressed so inappropriately for the interview that we knew we wouldn't hire her before she even said a word. My first principal made it a habit to check out your shoes. If they were not polished and fresh looking, he believed it spoke to your professionalism, commitment, and preparation.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
All I know is that the worst teachers I ever had, had the shinest shoes.

Reaction Score
I hear social studies and history teachers are a flooded market. try looking into special education, or learning Spanish.. i hear that's where the money is at.

Reaction Score

Just make sure you get the names right.

Reaction Score
Sorry team, this has nothing to do with basketball and is pretty much the same thread as the "just graduated" one.

Anyways, just graduated from UConn with a masters in education with a concentration in social studies. Was wondering if anyone is a teacher, administrator or has any kinds of connections to public schools in CT?...it's rough out there.

Anyways, I'm a history nerd and UConn die-hard. If that's what you're looking for in a candidate, I'm your man.

Worth a shot, right?

Try CREC...high turnover in many buildings and frequently expanding and opening new programs. PM me if you want to talk.

Reaction Score
I got my English BA from UConn in '08, Secondary English Education from Bridgeport in '09 and I've been a math teacher since 2011. Go figure.

Getting my teaching license in 2009 was bad timing. Very few of CT schools were hiring for English and after about 100 applications, I had about 6 responses and 2 demo lessons but no job. I was lucky to get a floater position at a private school that eventually turned into a full-time Math teaching gig. The pay isn't as good as public, but the stress is less, more vacation time, the kids are all pretty good and I get to coach three seasons, which is fun. I met my fiancé at my school too, so it's all good.

Wish you the best of luck for the teaching job find...it's a tough process.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I got my English BA from UConn in '08, Secondary English Education from Bridgeport in '09 and I've been a math teacher since 2011. Go figure.

Getting my teaching license in 2009 was bad timing. Very few of CT schools were hiring for English and after about 100 applications, I had about 6 responses and 2 demo lessons but no job. I was lucky to get a floater position at a private school that eventually turned into a full-time Math teaching gig. The pay isn't as good as public, but the stress is less, more vacation time, the kids are all pretty good and I get to coach three seasons, which is fun. I met my fiancé at my school too, so it's all good.

Wish you the best of luck for the teaching job find...it's a tough process.

I was in the same time frame, except I got my degree in Music Ed. Didn't get any calls back for any of the positions I applied for, and didn't want to take a 0.2 job or something inner-city. Wish I could go back and start college over; would've never gone into teaching.

Reaction Score
My wife is a teacher in Hartford. They are always looking for teachers, especially male teachers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom