OT - Any one else have an ASUS Transformer? | The Boneyard

OT - Any one else have an ASUS Transformer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If so, do you have problems moving your insertion point to the end of your thread when the text gets close to the bottom of the box? (I'm not sure if this is a problem subject to the Transformer or to Android Pads running Gingerbread in general.)

I've tried to use both the virtual and physical keyboard and have had problems, especially with the attached physical keyboard. It's like impossible to not touch the scroll pad which places the cursor elsewhere creating a whole host of problems.

I want to pull my hair out of my head...not much left to pull...when these problems start happening.

Anyone who knows how to resolve some of these problems...other than go buy an IPad...please chime in.

Reaction Score
I discovered a few things that fixed both my issues. One is, there is a button where I can disable the touchpad preventing the insertion point from moving all over the place since I couldn't seem to avoid touching the pad.

The second problem where I couldn't get the cursor to go down to the bottom of the box was corrected by my changing the browser font size from Large to Normal.

The combination of these two things have corrected my problems, but there is no way I can get those precious hairs back on my head. :)

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I got one too, but no keyboard. Have not tried to post on the Boneyard yet with it. I guess that you can get the tapatalk app for it, but not sure how it would help with a bigger screen than a cell phone--please educate me, someone, if it would make some significant difference on a 10" tablet. I'm experimenting with it streaming from my computer...inconsistent with that. DM, maybe we should compare notes in learning to use it.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I discovered a few things that fixed both my issues. One is, there is a button where I can disable the touchpad preventing the insertion point from moving all over the place since I couldn't seem to avoid touching the pad.

The second problem where I couldn't get the cursor to go down to the bottom of the box was corrected by my changing the browser font size from Large to Normal.

The combination of these two things have corrected my problems, but there is no way I can get those precious hairs back on my head. :)
okay...not easy to do more than hunt and peck. I'll have to practice to type with this thing, but I mostly want to just touch stuff without typing.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
What are you trying to stream from your computer?

Tapatalk is not really optimized for Honeycomb or the larger screen sized - it's basically the phone app blown up. I find it easier to stick to the browser for whatever it's worth.

Reaction Score
I downloaded tapatalk and didn't like it for the tablet. It doesn't let you do much formatting but the biggest problem is it doesn't let you zoom the size of the font in and out. My eyes aren't what the used to be and I like big letters.

Plus once loaded on my tablet I'd get an annoying popup every time when selecting anything from the BY via the browser telling me the site had this tapatalk app.

Fishy, what advantage does it give you on an android phone. Since I have the Bionic and I bought the app, maybe I'll load there.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I was able to get it to stream music and photos and play them on/through TV system. I'm hoping to get it to play hbo go through the browser. I was disappointed to find the hbo go app does not work with this tablet.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Websites, especially interactive ones such as this, were just not designed to be read on a 4" touchscreen. Tapatalk strips away the nonsense and formats the boards for that form factor. There are some flaws in it that make me crazy with both the iPhone and Android Tapatalk apps, but it is so, so, so much easier than trying to read the board in the browser - I would call it a 'must-own' app.

On HBO Go...it's a problem. It's really nice to be able to use the iPad as a mobile television in the house. Android tablets are largely shut out of that right now and that might be some time in changing. Do check out Amazon Prime, though - I'm a big fan.

Reaction Score
I got one too, but no keyboard. Have not tried to post on the Boneyard yet with it. I guess that you can get the tapatalk app for it, but not sure how it would help with a bigger screen than a cell phone--please educate me, someone, if it would make some significant difference on a 10" tablet. I'm experimenting with it streaming from my computer...inconsistent with that. DM, maybe we should compare notes in learning to use it.
Damn I just had that same problem with a reply where I couldn't get my cursor to the last line of the post. I just completely lost it and now have to retype.

Anyhow, I'd love to share notes DB. If you plan on posting via the Transformer I recommend the keyboard. I can't 10 finger type on the virtual keyboard like I can on this physical one. I find myself retyping due to missed key strokes taking 10 times as long to post something. I got a great deal on the tablet the day after Christmas at Best Buy. It was the last one they had and was cheaper than any online deal I saw. As for the keyboard I got a great deal from an Amazon vendor just $115, much cheaper than I've seen it anywhere. I've only had it a few days and still learning things such as the touchpad enable and disable button.

I also bought a case, but it doesn't fit when I attach the keyboad. I ordered it before I purchased the keyboard and wondered at the time if I should have canceled the case. I also bought a screen protector. Although it has Gorilla glass, it smudges a ton and has a lot of glare. I'll let you know how the non-smudge and non-glare screen protector works after I apply it to the tablet. I hear it's no easy task to execute. I can't remember the brand off the top of my head but I got it through Amazon and it seemed to get good reviews and was reasonably priced. If it works well for my Asus, I might buy one for my droid since the screen protector for that does not cut down any of the glare.

Reaction Score
I brought tapatalk for my tablet, can I transfer it to my Android phone especially if its designed for smaller screens?

temery

What?
Reaction Score
You've gotten amazon prime to work on an iPad?

Websites, especially interactive ones such as this, were just not designed to be read on a 4" touchscreen. Tapatalk strips away the nonsense and formats the boards for that form factor. There are some flaws in it that make me crazy with both the iPhone and Android Tapatalk apps, but it is so, so, so much easier than trying to read the board in the browser - I would call it a 'must-own' app.

On HBO Go...it's a problem. It's really nice to be able to use the iPad as a mobile television in the house. Android tablets are largely shut out of that right now and that might be some time in changing. Do check out Amazon Prime, though - I'm a big fan.

Reaction Score

Tapatalk is acceptable on my IPhone, but on my "big 10-inch" standard browser pages are better, IMO.
I bought the Acer Iconia based that someone here posted about a few weeks ago. I like it, but tbas take getting used to. Definately better for reading than typing.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
You've gotten amazon prime to work on an iPad?

I have - there are a few ways. The two easiest are by downloading browsers from the app store that convert the Flash content and stream it to the iPad.

One is Skyfire and the other is iSwifter. Both are essentially $4.99.

iSwifter might be the better pick for you - it ties in with a bunch of Facebook and Google Flash games. It's free to download from the app store, but you'll be prompted to upgrade to the premium version after about 20 minutes or so. That allows unlimited access to whatever you might want to do with it. (Don't buy any of the games...the premium version gets you access to all of 'em.)

Reaction Score
I brought tapatalk for my tablet, can I transfer it to my Android phone especially if its designed for smaller screens?
Yes. If you're using the same google acount on both the tablet and your phone, you should see the app listed as purhased on your phone. Just download it. If not, you can probably change the gmail address temporarily and download it. I'm not sure what that might do to your other stuff on your phone. Probably nothing. I don't know if you'll then be able to update the app when it's updated.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Once you buy the app, it's yours to download to however many devices you want on that platform, updates and all.

Reaction Score
I'm a big fan.[/quote]

Fishy, would you reccomend Prime over Netflix? I have Netflix, but I'm getting tired of the content, I like the option to pay for current cable shows ala cart, it seems as though it would work for me, thanks.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't know if I would recommend one over the other, but I do like Prime. (To be clear, I'm referring to the annual subscription plan from Amazon that includes free internet streaming packaged with free and discounted shipping for items bought through Amazon.)

I think it's pretty good - it's a nice compliment to Netflix and it's getting better.

Reaction Score
I don't know if I would recommend one over the other, but I do like Prime. (To be clear, I'm referring to the annual subscription plan from Amazon that includes free internet streaming packaged with free and discounted shipping for items bought through Amazon.)

I think it's pretty good - it's a nice compliment to Netflix and it's getting better.

fair enough, didn't want to subscribe to both as I though it would be a bit redundant, but if they are complimentary the cost would not inhibit both, I'll probably add hulu plus, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom