OT: Any chance the Mayans got it wrong? | The Boneyard

OT: Any chance the Mayans got it wrong?

Reaction Score
They thought the world would December 2012. But maybe they got the numbers transposed and it's going to happen in 2021. See what I mean? I'm definitely going to keep an eye out for the end of the world. Remember when Rutgers was ranked ahead of us? If that's not a sign of Armageddon, what is?

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
They thought the world would December 2012. But maybe they got the numbers transposed and it's going to happen in 2021. See what I mean? I'm definitely going to keep an eye out for the end of the world. Remember when Rutgers was ranked ahead of us? If that's not a sign of Armageddon, what is?
If UConn football is undefeated in mid-November, start working that bucket list ferverishly.

Reaction Score
One of the flaws of this theory is, I don't think mayans used a base 10 numerical system. So fat fingering 2012 to 2021 would make a bit less sense. I believe they used base 20.

For example, using our symbols (0 through J) 2012 would convert to 50C. 2021 would convert to 511. Obviously a typo can still occur, but it would not be as simple as swapping 12 for 21.

Furthermore, mayans used completely different symbols. I'm not sure what they are, but swapping 2021 for 2012 probably makes less sense for that reason as well.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
One of the flaws of this theory is, I don't think mayans used a base 10 numerical system. So fat fingering 2012 to 2021 would make a bit less sense. I believe they used base 20.

For example, using our symbols (0 through J) 2012 would be convert to 50C. 2021 would convert to 511. Obviously a typo can still occur, but it would not be as simple as swapping 12 for 21.

Furthermore, mayans used completely different symbols. I'm not sure what they are, but swapping 2021 for 2012 probably makes less sense for that reason as well.

I was going to say the same thing.

Reaction Score

For example, using our symbols (0 through J) 2012 would convert to 50C. 2021 would convert to 511. Obviously a typo can still occur, but it would not be as simple as swapping 12 for 21.

I am shocked you found a flaw in my theory. But what about the Rutgers, explain that!!!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Ah, the @Palatine theory of precolumbian dyslexism.

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
Wouldn’t you have to know what those symbols are and how they were processed by Mayans in order to be able to state that with any certainty?

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
wrong take on that mayan stuff. the better view is that their calender 'ran out,' and that after whatever year that was, the whole metric simply started over. now, aboot that 'mystical island' offa the west coast of south murica, well it kinda does have a unique viewing angle for jupiter, at times.

Reaction Score
Wouldn’t you have to know what those symbols are and how they were processed by Mayans in order to be able to state that with any certainty?
Sure. Just a lot of changes between our two numerical systems. Seems unlikely the same two numbers could be easily swapped. I've already shown it would not easily happen using zero through J. I don't think adding a completely different set of numerical symbols and methods to represent higher numbers would reintroduce the same potential issue.

Reaction Score
I wasn’t so concerned about the Mayans. I’m most concerned with astrology and asteroids.

Apophis is swinging close by in 2029. of all days, it’s on Friday the 13th. Oof!

CL82

Reaction Score
I wasn’t so concerned about the Mayans. I’m most concerned with astrology and asteroids.

Apophis is swinging close by in 2029. of all days, it’s on Friday the 13th. Oof!
Death by a pop zit? That would be a pretty ignominious way to go. Very Doug Adams though.

Last edited:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
If UConn football is undefeated in mid-November, start working that bucket list ferverishly.
Football not only didn’t lose a game this year, it was unscored upon. Next year will have a tough time coming close to that.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score

hmmm, 8 years. will that be enuf time for some here, in their rush to get the powerwasher commode? and, oh, thanks for starting a likely 8 year thread, better captioned 'we're doomed in 2029!' can't wait- it should be a classic. lol.

Reaction Score
The real question, of course, is why does February have 28 days when January and March each have 31? Why didn't they just take one day from January and one day from March, and make them all 30 days? You could end January on the 30th. Oh, I see -- you can't start March on the 2nd.

Reaction Score
hmmm, 8 years. will that be enuf time for some here, in their rush to get the powerwasher commode? and, oh, thanks for starting a likely 8 year thread, better captioned 'we're doomed in 2029!' can't wait- it should be a classic. lol.

its unlikely to happen if it makes u feel better. Will be a wonderful sky spectacle as it floats in between earth and the moon. Scientists say we are safe! :)

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
The real question, of course, is why does February have 28 days when January and March each have 31? Why didn't they just take one day from January and one day from March, and make them all 30 days? You could end January on the 30th. Oh, I see -- you can't start March on the 2nd.
in the northern hemisphere, february is the time when cardiovascular productivity is at it's nadir. the doc's have labeled it 'heart health month,' and then there's that good heart/bad heart holiday. ya know, you can present for a heart test with exactly the same appearance in feb and august, yet the feb one can display a 70% blockage while the august one can display a 20% blockage.
many don't like february. i sez that it's a reliably good time to hit the slopes. vitamin d ('d-fense! d-fense! d-fense!') an' all that, i suppose.

'The original Roman calendar only had ten months, because, curiously, the Romans didn’t demarcate winter.
In the 700s b.c., the second king of Rome, Numa Pompilius, changed that, adding January and February to the end of the calendar in order to conform to how long it actually takes Earth to go around the sun. The two new months were both originally 28 days long.'
the word February comes from the Roman festival of purification called Februa, during which people were ritually washed. hmmm, not named for a god, unlike the others. heck, they even named a god after the holiday, and not the usual reverse for that custom.
february is just different. better living thru clean undershorts, i guess.

Last edited:

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

Don’t get my hopes up....

Reaction Score

The world is not going to end. But, for those who know ancient text - this may mean something —-> 1948+80-7=2021

CL82

Reaction Score
its unlikely to happen if it makes u feel better. Will be a wonderful sky spectacle as it floats in between earth and the moon. Scientists say we are safe! :)

Conspiracy Kitty says:
Of course, it were going to hit us, would you really expect them to say anything different? (Or did you really believe all that toilet paper hoarding was really about COVID?)

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom