OT: Angel McCoughtry Taking Time Off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just look what DT has started! :(

Angel McCoughtry Taking Time Off During 2017 Season

January 4, 2017

Eight-year veteran plans to rest during WNBA season

ATLANTA (January 4, 2017)Atlanta Dream guard/forward Angel McCoughtry will take time to rest during the 2017 season, as announced through the eight-year veteran and two-time Olympic Gold Medalist’s agent Wednesday.

“After much thought and consideration, I have decided to take some time off,” McCoughtry said. “I know this decision will allow me to come back and play to the best of my ability.” Read full letter here

“Angel has decided to take the time she feel she needs for her long-term health. We respect her decision and look forward to her return,” Dream President Theresa Wenzel said. “Head Coach Michael Cooper and his staff are committed to bringing the best team to the court in 2017. We return some of the best young talent in the league along with several veterans, who will compete for the franchise’s first WNBA title.”

[MORE]

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Rest up, Angel! It's a tough, year-round grind for the players.

I look for Tiffany to pick up some of the slack. She may draw more defensive attention as well.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Didn't Angel's name come up in recent trade talks? Is this a negotiating ploy on her part?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
While no one wants to see this happen as it doesn't help the WNBA to have players taking time away, I think every WNBA player needs to do this once every 5-7 years. With a lot of them the reality is they are forced to do it because of an injury, but for those fortunate enough not to get injured, getting at least a four month breather from competition during their careers makes so much sense.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
She's one of the most high engine players in the sport and Geno now tolerates her jumping on his back and loving him. That's enough for me. Go for it Angel. DT blazed the trail.

Reaction Score
While no one wants to see this happen as it doesn't help the WNBA to have players taking time away, I think every WNBA player needs to do this once every 5-7 years. With a lot of them the reality is they are forced to do it because of an injury, but for those fortunate enough not to get injured, getting at least a four month breather from competition during their careers makes so much sense.

I would not be shocked to see them doing this every 3 or 4 years if they are playing overseas as well as WNBA and some USA/olympic too. That is just too much wear and tear on the human form---it was never designed to take that much punishment for that length of time---I know I've been speaking directly to the Designer!!

Reaction Score
She's one of the most high engine players in the sport and Geno now tolerates her jumping on his back and loving him. That's enough for me. Go for it Angel. DT blazed the trail.
\

She was the most selfish lone wolf with Collins --when Walz took over she (almost) saw the errors of her ways. After playing under Geno she praised him often about his coaching and changing her game in a positive way. She made me a fan.

Reaction Score
Didn't Angel's name come up in recent trade talks? Is this a negotiating ploy on her part?
My thought too - make herself uncertain and unattractive for a trade so she can stay home and not give up her ice cream stand. AND get a much- needed rest.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Tiff and Bria Holmes (New Haven, Hillhouse HS) will have some fun this season.

Reaction Score
Maybe it's a negotiating ploy; maybe not. Wouldn't be surprised if this issue came up on that ship in Rio. If these stars are only going to make so much in the WNBA, it's not just a cold cost-benefit analysis. It's for their long-term health. And those on the Olympic team are just the ones to start the trend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom