OT: Andre Dixon | The Boneyard

OT: Andre Dixon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Driving through West Hartford today, stopped at a stop light, and happened to see Andre Dixon doing landscaping out of a pickup truck with one other guy. The light turned green unfortunately before I could say anything. Does anyone know when his last stint as a FB player was or at least his last opportunity to play somewhere?

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
He was in the UFL (now defunct) with the Hartford Colonials and then a team out in Sacramento through 2011. I'm a senior at UConn and when we got hammered with snow this past year Dixon was at UConn plowing snow on a Bobcat. I wanted to say hi to him, but was unsure whether he'd feel embarrassed or happy to be recognized. Kind of felt bad for the guy. He was super talented and it's a shame he didn't catch on like Brown and Todman.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Surprised he couldn't catch on in the CFL. I loved watching him run.

Reaction Score
He was in the UFL (now defunct) with the Hartford Colonials and then a team out in Sacramento through 2011. I'm a senior at UConn and when we got hammered with snow this past year Dixon was at UConn plowing snow on a Bobcat. I wanted to say hi to him, but was unsure whether he'd feel embarrassed or happy to be recognized. Kind of felt bad for the guy. He was super talented and it's a shame he didn't catch on like Brown and Todman.
Couldn't have said it better, maybe he can jump on board as a grad assistant or coach somewhere.

Reaction Score
BNich said:
According to his Facebook posts he also spends time doing personal training with athletes and others.
Last I knew he did some personal training at a gym in Bloomfield called "Iron for Zion". Conveniently it's very close to Hooker Brewery. I want to go myself!

Reaction Score
Last I knew he did some personal training at a gym in Bloomfield called "Iron for Zion". Conveniently it's very close to Hooker Brewery. I want to go myself!
He has posted videos of DeLorenzo training with him and other CT athletes working out with him.

Reaction Score
Could certainly understand not wanting to embarrass him on your part, but I doubt he would take it that way. He isn't in the NFL and like most young college grads he is out earning an honest living while figuring out what he is going to do with the rest of his adult life. Plowing snow and landscaping are great interim jobs that don't require committing past that particular season or sometimes that particular job.

Reaction Score
If he is working for himself he might be making good money. Commercial landscaping is one the most under appreciated ways to get wealthy that I've seen. Big money in it when you establish good accounts.

He has the background and connections within the state to make a very lucrative career in that field. Connecticut and its residents are very good to ex UConn athletes.

Reaction Score
I remember watching him during that one year the Hartford Colonials existed.

The UFL was a fun league. You could go to a game for $15 and see players like dante culpepper, jeff garcia, josh mccown (hartford's qb), and a bunch of other former NFL players mixed with the college players that didn't quite make the cut for the NFL.

Shame that it folded so quickly. Didn't help that it was run very poorly.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Years ago, my wife did one of those kickboxing workout classes at a place in Cromwell (maybe Middletown???) and she said that the Colonial players, including Dixon, were frequently there.

I don't know much about his coaching experience or whether or not he wants to coach...but he would be an EXCELLENT addition to our coaching staff, if/when there's room. Very hard to find a guy who played with more heart and passion than old number 2.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Honestly he's probably making more training people and doing landscaping/snow removal than in the UFL... and even the CFL.. the average salary is only $80,000. The league minimum is $50,000. It's hard to argue that $50k per yer is worth a catastrophic injury.

Coaching when you start out is even less. Outside of the major pro sports and big time college sports it's very hard to survive in the industry.

Reaction Score
Andre is a very good guy and he's been present in the stands at quite a few Husky games. I love his loyalty and continued interest.
IMG_2205 (2).jpg

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
LOVE Andre! Last I heard, he was sharing an apartment with Dougie Wiggins in the Hartford area.

Reaction Score
The Boneyard creates another offseason story idea for the local media. Good for him to seek out Andre and get a story. Hopefully, Andre is self employed and this will give him a boost.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
The segment on NBC Connecticut tonight focused on his training at Iron for Zion, and his work training a high school footballer from Berlin.

Reaction Score
CTMike said:
The segment on NBC Connecticut tonight focused on his training at Iron for Zion, and his work training a high school footballer from Berlin.
The clips were of his TD's at ND.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate