OT: And the award for Best Picture goes to: | The Boneyard

OT: And the award for Best Picture goes to:

Which picture wins the biggest award of the night?

• Moonlight

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Fences

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hacksaw Ridge

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Manchester by the Sea

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Hidden Figures

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • La La Land

Votes: 13 39.4%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
The Oscar race is upon us and unfortunately I cannot get within a mile of Hollywood (my first year living here and I thought I'd get a front row glimpse of Hollywood's best!)

Which film wins best picture tonight? I could not include all the nominees (there's a limit) so if your choice is not listed there's an "other" option avalable (I know such a shame). I did list (IMO) the front runners.

I voted for Hidden Figures. If you haven't seen it then you really need to head to the cinema and treat yourself. Fantastic film.

Anyway, thought this could be a fun poll in between the Husky mania that is yet upon us once again this year :p

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Well as usual the winner isn't going to be the best picture (Hidden Figures), but which picture will the Hollywood voters choose. Most of these people have never seen the movie(s) nominated, so they usually vote for the one their friends said was the best. Even though these people are sent the video of these films through the mail. Hollywood loves romantic heart tuggers that glorify hollywood, so the winner this year will be Moonlight.

Reaction Score
I'll take a flyer here: Best Pic award to "La La La," a musical starring two actors who neither sing nor dance. Among a not very good group of movies, I liked "Hell or High Water," but not that much. Must be a cowboy thing left over from my happy childhood.

Reaction Score
La La Land will win, despite being, IMHO, mediocre, because Hollywood loves films about itself.

But truly, Manchester by the Sea was one of the best movies I've seen in many years. I carried it around in my heart for several days afterwards.

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
I didn't see any of the nominated movies but I hope Hacksaw Ridge wins because I like Mel Gibson. I know that Meryl Streep is an ah-tist and that she has proclaimed "football and mixed-martial-arts" not to be real entertainment. Sigh. (I wonder if UConnWBB falls into that category as well?) But as one of those little people that she denigrates I would like to recommend 2 movies for viewing: they are Two Lovers and Blue is the Warmest Color.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I'm still partial to "In Harm's Way." But it didn't nominated this year. Piffle.

Reaction Score
I didn't see any of the nominated movies but I hope Hacksaw Ridge wins because I like Mel Gibson. I know that Meryl Streep is an ah-tist and that she has proclaimed "football and mixed-martial-arts" not to be real entertainment. Sigh. (I wonder if UConnWBB falls into that category as well?) But as one of those little people that she denigrates I would like to recommend 2 movies for viewing: they are Two Lovers and Blue is the Warmest Color.
And a "sigh" right back at you. You attribute to Streep something she didn't say. This is what she said:
“Hollywood is crawling with outsiders and foreigners. And if you kick ’em all out, you’ll have nothing to watch but football and mixed martial arts, which are not the arts.”
Not the arts, not "not real entertainment." I think the greatest actress of her time (perhaps of any time) has a right to say what she thinks compose "the arts." As to the football that you don't think she thinks is entertainment, she followed up that statement with this:
"First of all, I do like football. Let me just make that clear. I gave seven years, seven of my youngest, prettiest years to being a cheerleader for football, basketball and wrestling." Streep also acknowledged that she was watching the Super Bowl this past Sunday. "I have watched more Pee Wee league football, Pop Warner football, JV and varsity high school football, JV and varsity college level and professional football for over 60 years, more than probably anyone in this room, and, yes, I thought the Falcons/Patriots game was the most exciting football game in history, but in my honest opinion, it is totally crazy that the winning advantage in a Super Bowl tie is determined by means of a coin toss! Sad."

Last edited:

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I was very glad to see Casey Affleck win for Best Actor. An incredibly rich role , beautifully played.

Also, though I really enjoyed Hidden Figures, I, too thought MBTS was an amazing film. I have not seen La La Land but may have to :)

Reaction Score
Somehow Beatty gets the wrong envelope (hello Price Waterhouse, where were you???). Opens same and confusion ensues. Seems to me he or Faye would have/should have recognized that the actress named on the card couldn't win an Oscar for best pic???? I guess they have multiple "red envelopes" for each award as the actress winner said afterward she still had her "the winner is" card. So someone (P/W presumably) must have handed Beatty a duplicate of the Best Actress envelope, but man, Beatty should have caught it. Clearly he was confused by what he saw. And where, pray tell, was P/W LOL? Someone should get demoted to tax returns for this fiasco! Best part of the show IMO was Jimmy Kimmel; hope he gets a return engagement.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I voted for Moonlight and was disappointed when La La was announced as the winner. Then I wasn't. Thought Manchester was equally worthy of winning.

Didn't see Moonlight or La La Land yet, but was really wowed by Manchester. Stunningly great film that shows how "small" movies can still be the best.

Reaction Score
To me this goof is totally on Price Waterhouse. It's hard to believe no one is adequately keeping track of which cards are being given to the presenters ...especially in respect to the problem involving one of the top awards-"Best Picture!' Kind of a straight forward assignment!! Would a younger Beatty possibly reacted differently and helped save the day--possibly--- but in the heat of the moment, a rather tough call. ( Alos, if you look closely,at the rebroadcast , it appears as thought he may have been looking beyond Faye Dunaaway at someone back state, before handing the card to Faye).

Reaction Score
But of course, despite the screw-up, actually BECAUSE of the screw-up, the Academy Awards gets more and better publicity. It humanizes the folks of tinseltown, so that they seem just like you and me (ha!!) and we're talking about it a day later....

Reaction Score
gabby.jpg

This has my vote for "Picture of the Year"

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I've never liked or disliked Beatty but I sure felt for him last night. He got absolutely clobbered on social media last night. Today some clown from New York writes an opinion piece and calls him "brain dead"! This really ticks me off even if he did do write it as a joke. Could he have recognized it was the wrong card? Sure, but people forget the guy is 79 years old. I'm only 60 and I feel my mental abilities diminishing already, nevermind 79. There's a reason that elderly people are scammed more than anyone else. Now throw in the pressure of the occasion and the fact that it's never happened before. I don't blame him for being confused. I wish the producer who showed up on stage had taken the mic and apologized on the spot saying that the wrong card was in the envelope. Instead he let the presenters twist in the wind. Bad job.

Reaction Score
Moonlight was the best movie this year, absolutely deserving.

*some spoilers ahead*

Unlike la la land, it is REAL. Not that it's non-fiction, but it's speaks to a truth that is all too common and devastating for young black men, especially gay ones, in this country. There are poignant moments in that movie which make you want to rip your own heart out. When the neighborhood drug dealer takes him in and defends him, teaches him to swim. When pre-adolescent young Chiron silently realizes his mentor is the one giving mom drugs... when he asks what a f-$g&0t is. When he comes back with tattoos, grills, and becomes a drug dealer.. he's steeled himself and disguised himself as that e that drug dealer to protect himself from the pain he'd been dealt because of who he naturally is.

It's heartbreaking and funny, contemplative and breathtaking. It's the kind of movie that's hard to watch, but that's precisely the reason why you need to watch it.

La la land was cute, and had a great soundtrack, but didn't go much farther than that for me.

People tend to disregard moonlight (similar to boyhood) because they are too attached to a traditional "plot." A real reflection of human life doesn't have a plot, IMO which makes this movie great (but not every great movie does this!).

Manchester by the sea was a close second

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And a "sigh" right back at you. You attribute to Streep something she didn't say. This is what she said:
“Hollywood is crawling with outsiders and foreigners. And if you kick ’em all out, you’ll have nothing to watch but football and mixed martial arts, which are not the arts.”
Not the arts, not "not real entertainment." I think the greatest actress of her time (perhaps of any time) has a right to say what she thinks compose "the arts." As to the football that you don't think she thinks is entertainment, she followed up that statement with this:
"First of all, I do like football. Let me just make that clear. I gave seven years, seven of my youngest, prettiest years to being a cheerleader for football, basketball and wrestling." Streep also acknowledged that she was watching the Super Bowl this past Sunday. "I have watched more Pee Wee league football, Pop Warner football, JV and varsity high school football, JV and varsity college level and professional football for over 60 years, more than probably anyone in this room, and, yes, I thought the Falcons/Patriots game was the most exciting football game in history, but in my honest opinion, it is totally crazy that the winning advantage in a Super Bowl tie is determined by means of a coin toss! Sad."
Thanks Bags.

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
Recently watched a rerun of Shampoo. The women were terrific (especially Goldie). Beatty's hairstyle was awful beyond belief and the other women had "hooker hair." Oh well, it was 1975 I believe.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
To me this goof is totally on Price Waterhouse. It's hard to believe no one is adequately keeping track of which cards are being given to the presenters ...especially in respect to the problem involving one of the top awards-"Best Picture!' Kind of a straight forward assignment!! Would a younger Beatty possibly reacted differently and helped save the day--possibly--- but in the heat of the moment, a rather tough call. ( Alos, if you look closely,at the rebroadcast , it appears as thought he may have been looking beyond Faye Dunaaway at someone back state, before handing the card to Faye).

Why don't they print "BEST PICTURE" in big letters on the outside of the envelope? It would help avoid confusion.

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
I will concede that Meryl Streep was really, really, really good in THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA.

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
Recently watched a rerun of Shampoo. The women were terrific (especially Goldie). Beatty's hairstyle was awful beyond belief and the other women had "hooker hair." Oh well, it was 1975 I believe.
What. You can't be serious. In 1975 I would have "swooned" if I had come within 10 ft. of Warren Beatty. And if he was styling my hair my eyes would have never left the mirror I was watching him in. And I would have given him a big tip and my telephone #.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom