OT: An Open Letter to the Athlete We Must Stop Recruiting | The Boneyard

OT: An Open Letter to the Athlete We Must Stop Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ouch!

This sounds to me like the letter Geno Auriemma wrote 25 years ago, never had to mail or publish, but has been using privately ever since.

upload_2016-5-18_8-28-47.png

I received your introductory two-line email and read through it. I must say your first sentence was painfully familiar as you introduced yourself by first name only. I assumed if you were trying to make an impression that you would have paid more attention to punctuation but my assumption appears incorrect. While your opening email failed to identify your last name, what year in school you are, where you are from, or what position you play, you managed to include your most pressing question as to whether our team is "giving out scholarships".

Despite my reservations, I made the trip to watch your game live so I could determine if your resume matched your talent. After observing only a few minutes of the team warm-up, I noted that you were clearly the most gifted on your squad. However, your talent was unfortunately overshadowed by the lack of energy and effort you displayed.

Since you have been a star in your sport for quite a while with coaches and parents who have clearly allowed these details to slip through the cracks also, you are not entirely to blame. However, please bear in mind, none of this makes you a bad person only potentially, a bad teammate. The attributes I am judging you on happen to be far more important than any of your trophies, all-star selections or travel team accolades.

There is no doubt you are talented. However, from my experience, here are the 10 things I know about athletes like you.

1. Your incredible talent is the same talent that in your sophomore year of college will suddenly suffer an ego blow when a new freshman arrives with equal or greater talent. Battling your feeling of ownership over your position and feeling threatened is inevitable.

Today I crossed you off my list as a potential recruit despite your obvious talent. Over the thousands of hours I have spent away from my family recruiting, answering emails, calls, official visits, watching game film and logging contacts and evaluations, I have learned from my mistakes. As a result, although the athlete playing right next to you has half the stats and three quarters of your speed, they are supportive, determined and selfless. This kind of athlete, will be our next signee.

Complete letter and "Note to our Fearless Coaches" HERE...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sum[s up nearly everything we believed about what and who Geno recruits: Energy, teammate, intelligent, a bit educated.
This should be sent to every WBB player in her HS Freshman year. Talent is great, but if not coachable or respectful--who needs the aggravation?? Seems a lot of coaches like the kids Geno likes --at least the best coaches do!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't see how this is off topic at all. This is one of the most pointed topics posted here since the conclusion of the season.
;) I contemplated this when I posted. My reason for adding the OT was 1) it was written by a non-WBB coach, and 2) the whole matter is a non-issue for UConn WBB (fortunately, for us). :D :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Every athlete should read this, especially those that have lost their sense of smell when using the bathroom. Post of the day, I love it. Thanks JavaMan.

I like what you said. I finally got it: they believe that their defecation is not odorous; there are more of them today (rightly or wrongly) than ever were allow to flaunt it

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I like what you said. I finally got it: they believe that their defecation is not odorous; there are more of them today (rightly or wrongly) than ever were allow to flaunt it

Ding ding ding ding ding!!! :p

Reaction Score
;) I contemplated this when I posted. My reason for adding the OT was 1) it was written by a non-WBB coach, and 2) the whole matter is a non-issue for UConn WBB (fortunately, for us). :D :rolleyes:
And (2) I hope it stays that way!! thanks for posting this, it is a classic and belongs as part of the character of the Boneyard

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Very good, and I enjoyed reading the comments as well.
And the section about how a recruit or two can destroy what you have built as a coach is really true and something to remember when looking at programs that seem to be imploding - it isn't always within the control of a coach once they have made the mistake of recruiting the wrong athlete (s.) I have seen it happen within a business as well.

Reaction Score
During my daughter's freshman/sophmore year, she began being more of a team supporter, cheering her team on when she was on the bench, helping the girls off the floor. I told her not to stop. These are things coaches notice, not just how many points you score. She hasn't stopped.

There was a girl on her team being recruited by a D2 school. In a summer league game, during a time out, the girl was paying no attention to the coach while he was talking. The D2 coach observed this and made it very clear to her AAU coach (that was at the game) that she wouldn't not be recruiting her for that specific reason.

Reaction Score
Very good, and I enjoyed reading the comments as well.
And the section about how a recruit or two can destroy what you have built as a coach is really true and something to remember when looking at programs that seem to be imploding - it isn't always within the control of a coach once they have made the mistake of recruiting the wrong athlete (s.) I have seen it happen within a business as well.
In business typically it depend on the "level" of the hire. Upper/mid management the wrong people for too long can be a disaster. However, those are usually caught somewhat early--when money is a factor things can move quicker. Recruits and assistants take a time to evolve and bad ones can really hurt the program. .

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Remember, if you're criticizing someone's grammar and syntax, yours has to be 100% accurate. Coach Carlson's was not. It was actually hard to read at points. (Also, folks, the serial comma is your friend. It adds clarity.)

Further, if you're making a point to say you know 10 things after criticizing for lack of effort, fill in the list all the way, even if you do it 10 times with the same fact (which would drive home the point more than leaving 2 through 9 blank).

Criticizing a 16- or 17-year-old based on an informal email is crappy. Her name will be in the header of the email (other items such as year and school, yes, obviously, should be included). Further, I don't see it it as a failing of the potential recruit but rather it indicates what and who is around the potential recruit. Does the recruit have any around her who can tell her that some adults want more formal emails?

Reaction Score
Terrific letter (Makes me proud to know Quinnipiac is hiring such great people to coach their teams) - Go Braves!

Reaction Score
Remember, if you're criticizing someone's grammar and syntax, yours has to be 100% accurate. Coach Carlson's was not. It was actually hard to read at points. (Also, folks, the serial comma is your friend. It adds clarity.)
Wally, point taken. To be fair, however, I would propose that top notch coaches need not be top notch grammarians. Also, regarding serial commas, I'm in agreement with you. Frankly, EVERY list in sentence form that I write includes the serial comma. However, it is not grammatically incorrect to omit it, though many choose to.
if you're making a point to say you know 10 things after criticizing for lack of effort, fill in the list all the way, even if you do it 10 times with the same fact (which would drive home the point more than leaving 2 through 9 blank).
I'm guessing here that you read only the snipets from the article that were included in the OP and not the entire article that was linked at the bottom of the post, which does includes the entire list.
Further, I don't see it it as a failing of the potential recruit but rather it indicates what and who is around the potential recruit. Does the recruit have any around her who can tell her that some adults want more formal emails?
At some point, we all must choose to be responsible for ourselves, or suffer the consequences. The alternative you propose here indicates to me that personal responsibility would not very high on the targeted athlete's personal priority list. I'm in agreement that parents and adults could be helpful in this regard. However, to think that high school kids do not, and cannot, create their own character credentials, is not correct. My daughter is a high school librarian at a large high school and has let me know on many occasions just how much high school kids are exposed to regarding information available and where to find it pertaining to personal initiative and responsibility issues ...especially regarding written communication.

Last edited:

Wally East

Reaction Score
Ah, okay. I'm glad the article includes the entire list. I'm at work and didn't want to click through to LinkedIn :)

Yes, at some point, we're all responsible for ourselves. Usually, that's after we turn 18 or maybe even 21. It's usually not when we're 16 :) Additionally, in the same way that, "top notch coaches need not be top notch grammarians," top notch high school athletes might also not be top notch grammarians :)

Coach Carlson should've had this checked by a friend in the sports information department or a friend who is an English professor or someone with more writing experience, because, you know, personal responsibility :p

In the same way, if you're a student contacting a college looking for a scholarship, ask your coach about the best way to do that. If your coach doesn't know, ask someone who does. But, I'm more willing to give the student the benefit of the doubt for not knowing to do this than the coach.

Oh, and agreed that not using the serial comma isn't wrong; it's just dumb. (No smiley here. I'm deadly serious about this. Deadly.) :)p)

Reaction Score
...Oh, and agreed that not using the serial comma isn't wrong; it's just dumb...
When I taught grammar workshops, one of the little stories I would tell was about the three offspring whom were to inherit their father's assets that were to be dispersed equally to his offspring Peter, Paul and Mary. (not their actual names, of course) There can be a very BIG difference between "Peter, Paul and Mary" and "Peter, Paul, and Mary." You might be able to see where this is going!

In a lawsuit, Peter argued (successfully by the way) that what the will intended was actually 50% to Peter and the other 50% to Paul and Mary. Like the modern day baseball and football challenge, without conclusive evidence to the contrary, the original stood. Everyone that cares about being clearly understood while writing will always use the serial comma, whether necessary or not.

It might even be wise to ensure that one's benefactors use it as well. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I don't see how this is off topic at all. This is one of the most pointed topics posted here since the conclusion of the season.
I'll go one further. This is one of the best post's I've ever read on the BY. Carlson's open letter delineates point for point why coaching, particularly this generation of players, is a special challenge. I wouldn't do it and I respect most of those who do. I have less respect for those coaches who hoard "#1's" sacrificing character for talent and then behave like the over expectant players they've recruited. Or are puzzled by, make excuses for, and shrug their shoulders at their collective failures. Worse these coaches then side eye and snipe at those coaches who consistently win with driven, character rich teams. Yes I cringed at some of her fractured phrasing. Without reading most of the comments here I'm sure some of the grammar police will start putting out their orange copy editor cones. So what? The thrust of her letter is clear and concise. I'm a new fan of Becky Carlson of Quinnipiac College.

Wally East

Reaction Score
Worse these coaches then side eye and snipe at those coaches who consistently win with driven, character rich teams.

Do you have a particular coach in mind as being on the receiving end?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Ah, okay. I'm glad the article includes the entire list. I'm at work and didn't want to click through to LinkedIn :)

Yes, at some point, we're all responsible for ourselves. Usually, that's after we turn 18 or maybe even 21. It's usually not when we're 16 :) Additionally, in the same way that, "top notch coaches need not be top notch grammarians," top notch high school athletes might also not be top notch grammarians :)

Coach Carlson should've had this checked by a friend in the sports information department or a friend who is an English professor or someone with more writing experience, because, you know, personal responsibility :p

In the same way, if you're a student contacting a college looking for a scholarship, ask your coach about the best way to do that. If your coach doesn't know, ask someone who does. But, I'm more willing to give the student the benefit of the doubt for not knowing to do this than the coach.

Oh, and agreed that not using the serial comma isn't wrong; it's just dumb. (No smiley here. I'm deadly serious about this. Deadly.) :)p)
Yea, you really need to read the whole article.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom