OT: Alzheimer's Awareness Month and Wellness | The Boneyard

OT: Alzheimer's Awareness Month and Wellness

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
June is Alzheimer's Awareness Month. During the course of this month I am presenting a "wellness pyramid" on my blog. I draw from the twenty or so articles I receive every day for the past few years in relation to Alzheimer's or brain health. Though my doctorate's is not related specifically to brain chemistry or physiology, I have a research background in the field of biology and extensive, intimate experience with dementia, as a few of you know. As temery and Lurker could confirm, for a few years now I've maintained that oxidative stress, not amyloid plaques, is more the direct cause of dementia symptoms. The distinction matters for how people deal with the disease. Over time the research increasingly has backed me up.

This is not something I'm attempting to monetize. Dementia has smacked me around through five years of caring for my Mom under our roof at the beginning of our marriage, caring for my spouse for what will be the last 7+ years and caring for my father-in-law for a few months in the middle. The benefit I get from encouraging my friends on the Boneyard to check out the wellness pyramid on my blog this month is simply to smack dementia back.

Be well,
Kirk Sinclair
Norfolk, CT

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky