OT: Although baseball season is over in NY and Boston. . . | The Boneyard

OT: Although baseball season is over in NY and Boston. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
. . . it continues in Kansas City!

Hey, after 29 years, the Royals get to play in October, and played a game that will light up the skies in KC for a very long time.

In case you missed it, they were behind 7-4 in the 7th, 7-6 when they came to bat in the bottom of the 9th (and they scored to send it to extra innings). Oakland scored in the top of the 12th inning, then -- miraculously! -- KC scored twice in the bottom of the 12th (final, 9-8) to stay alive to play some more.

Props to KC for winning one hell of a game!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Got the coldest shoulder ever when I posted the above after watching serious underdog KC win one of the most exciting games I ever saw.

Well, boys and girls, they are at it again! Beat the Angels, 3-2 in extra innings and their RF Aoki made catches reminiscent of the '69 Mets. Unbelievable!

I can't help but think a miracle may have begun, if not for KC, maybe Baltimore.

Jeez, it's at least as exciting as the Ryder Cup!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Don't particularly like the Royals. (said as a St. Louis Cardinals fan ;) - who are also in the playoffs. hmmm maybe 1985 again? As long as Denkinger isn't around. :mad:)

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
The beat goes on.

Kansas City won third consecutive extra-inning game! The Royals are now only one win away (at home) to win series vs. the Angels.

And St. Louis spots a big lead vs. the Dodgers (and Cy Young Kershaw), then scores 8 runs in one inning to win, 10-9. And Baltimore up two vs. Detroit after mighty heroics.

Cream rising to the top and KC looking like Cinderella.

Baseball season is now here:) (but not in Boston or NYC:().

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Too many other sports going on, especially football.

I enjoy baseball (after all, my wife and I are fanatical about its relative, Softball) and grew up in a Yankee household. Heck, Mom at 95 still watched almost every game this year (even if hi-tech broadcasts occasionally left her confused if the game was over and who won). Maternal grandparents were Mets fans (transferred allegiance from the Dodgers).

But I just can't sit through the games. Maybe come the world series. Depending on who's in it.

By the way, a sad moment of my life - when I realized that I had left a signed baseball from all the Dodgers greats (Snyder, Reese, Hodges, and who knows who else) in a damp basement until it rotted away and was worthless. My grandmother an husband went to the Dodgers spring training (then in Florida) and he had a ball signed by virtually the whole team. I wanted to cry, not only for the potential value, but for the family value. I also lost an American League (unsigned) ball from the 40's in the same way, although my Dad's 1920's glove is still hanging on.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Too many other sports going on, especially football. . . . But I just can't sit through the games. Maybe come the world series. Depending on who's in it.

I recently read that the average age of last year's World Series vewer was 54, which stimulated MLB to seriously focus on speeding up the interminably looooong games to reach out to younger (potential) fans. The committee is considering a number of rules changes to step up the pace. Among them:

Batters may not leave the batter's box (must keep one foot in throughout time at bat);

"Conferences" on the mound will be severely limited in length and frequency;

Relief pitchers will be permitted no warmups when inserted in mid-inning;

No more intentional walks as such; pitcher will simply hold up four fingers and the batter goes to first base; and,

(the one I like best because it's doable and enforceable) "Pitch clock"; pitcher must pitch to the batsman within 12 seconds of receiving the ball from the catcher. (Seems to me that 20 seconds is more reasonable, enforced by a clock just like the ones used for NFL quarterbacks.)
Knowing how conscientiously and relentlessly that MLB owners pursue TV viewers and the bucks they represent, I believe that something may come of this -- like consistent games of three hours or fewer.

We can hope.

P.S. [on edit] None of the above can alter the wild excitement generated by recent post-season games in KC, Baltimore, or Anaheim.

Last edited:

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
If one is a true baseball fan, then you have to love the is year's playoffs so far.

Games have been exciting. Upsets abound!! Go KC, go San Fran, go St. Louis!

And I m a Yankee fan who is married to a Red Sox fan.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
If one is a true baseball fan, then you have to love the is year's playoffs so far.

Games have been exciting. Upsets abound!! Go KC, go San Fran, go St. Louis!

And I m a Yankee fan who is married to a Red Sox fan.

As I read your post, it is 11:25 p.m. and Washington is locked into a 1-1 tie with San Francisco, and they just began the 17th inning!

This new iteration of a major league baseball team is faring better than its predecessors. They were so steadfastly bad that a staple one-liner on vaudeville stages was:

"Washington. First in war, first in peace, and last in the American League."

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I recently read that the average age of last year's World Series vewer was 54, which stimulated MLB to seriously focus on speeding up the interminably looooong games to reach out to younger (potential) fans. The committee is considering a number of rules changes to step up the pace. Among them:

Batters may not leave the batter's box (must keep one foot in throughout time at bat);

No more intentional walks as such; pitcher will simply hold up four fingers and the batter goes to first base; and,

(the one I like best because it's doable and enforceable) "Pitch clock"; pitcher must pitch to the batsman within 12 seconds of receiving the ball from the catcher. (Seems to me that 20 seconds is more reasonable, enforced by a clock just like the ones used for NFL quarterbacks.)

I'm not younger, alas.

College softball has a pitch clock, and I believe there is a rule about not leaving the batters box unless granted "time", but with the pitch clock it doesn't seem to be much of an issue.

I heard the 4 finger walk issue brought up (maybe done internationally?) but it isn't a rule. I could get behind that rule.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
The beat goes on. MLB playoffs defy all odds and generate unexpected drama.

Oakland had a big lead (7-3, 8th inning?) and Lester on the mound. KC pulls it out in extra innings.

San Francisco pins their hopes on Peavy (!) and they KO the Pirates. Then they beat Washington in 18 innings.

Pitching always wins, right? HAH! Detroit goes in with Scherzer, Verlander and Price and goes home to watch Baltimore play on.

And those Royals! They not only swept the MLB team with the most wins (LAA) but in one late inning, two runners on, CF Lorenzo Cain doffs his red cape to make two un.be.lieve.able catches. Now they go up against the Orioles to see whose foot fits the Cinderella glass slipper.

The beat goes on..............

Reaction Score

Knowing how conscientiously and relentlessly that MLB owners pursue TV viewers and the bucks they represent, I believe that something may come of this -- like consistent games of three hours or fewer.

We can hope.

P.S. [on edit] None of the above can alter the wild excitement generated by recent post-season games in KC, Baltimore, or Anaheim.

Not about to change the 2 mins 45 secs after each half inning are they? Agree on the pitch clock. Also batters have to stop taking a "walk around the block" between pitches. If they can't stay in the batter's box at least stay within a couple of feet of it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom