OT- all-time favorite wrestlers

I was obessed with wrestling as a kid and was lucky to grow up during the golden age and meet several of these dudes. Jake the Snake Roberts, Rowdy Roddy Piper and the Junkyard Dog were my three favorites. My older brother was obsessed with the Von Erichs and would practice all their moves on me.

tzznandrew

Most Posts in Greatest Boneyard Thread of All-Time
I was a big fan of the obvious for my age (Hogan, Savage when young, later: Austin).

Then there was a phase in high school where I was so into it that I started to feel like I understood the craft. I sought out and bought tapes on eBay of Steamboat, Foley, etc. Loved Jericho, Benoit, Angle (to name just a few who I thought were especially good in the ring).

I remember the moment I gave up watching it regularly, too. I was still watching into freshmen year of college, and Shawn Michaels jumped up out of a wheelchair. I had been moving away from it subtly for a little while, but that, for some reason, just did it. I was out.

I was always partial to Rocky Johnson. He executed the sunset flip like no other. I was also a fan of Bob Backlund (whom I see quite often in Glastonbury) and Jimmy Snuka for his high flying style.

Watching wrestling is one of the favorite memories of my childhood. I remember how they used to put a big red X across the screen if the match turned bloody. Mean Gene Okerlund and Lord Alfred Hayes.good times!!

RichZ

Methuselah's older brother
Uhm, let's see -- the last time I watched wrestling was, uhm oh yeah -- Haystacks Calhoun. All 600# of him. There was also an even bigger guy who went by the name Happy Humphrey, who in addition to being about 800 pounds, had an uncanny facial resemblance to the cartoon character Humphrey Pennyworth from the Joe Palooka comic strip, and wanted to use that name, but couldn't come to terms with Ham Fisher or the newspaper syndicate that owned the rights to the strip.

Calhoun and Humphrey wrestled each other about once a week. Or that's what it seemed like, as my grandfather sat there yelling at the TV every time wrestling was on in the '50s/early '60s.

And that is every single thing I know about wrestling.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Andre The Giant
Jimmy Superfly Snuka
Von Erichs
Road Warriors
Steiner Brothers
Dusty Rhodes
Tony Atlas
Sgt Slaughter

I was faing away by the time Hogan, Piper and Hart hit the scene.

When WCW had the NWO in the mid-90's I had a slight resurgence and then it died.

Andre The Giant
Jimmy Superfly Snuka
Von Erichs
Road Warriors
Steiner Brothers
Dusty Rhodes
Tony Atlas
Sgt Slaughter

I was faing away by the time Hogan, Piper and Hart hit the scene.

When WCW had the NWO in the mid-90's I had a slight resurgence and then it died.
Dusty Rhodes was the man

Dove

I am currently in migrant caravan #2.
Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka
Adrian Adonis (not Adorable Adrian)
Randy "Macho Man" Savage
Rowdy Roddy Piper
Ultimate Warrior
Austin 3:10
The Rock

Val Venus cracked me up.

Loved Freddie Blassie

August_West

Choose wisely.
The 16x world champ. Stylin' and profilin'. The Nature Boy, Ric Flair.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

He's the top for me. By far

And then
Don Muraco
Barry Windham
Tully Blanchard
Nikita Koloff
Magnum TA
Bob Backlund
EARLY Road Warriors
Ricky Steamboat
Roddy Piper
Dusty Rhodes
Shawn Michaels
Scott Hall
Harley Race
Genricho Tenryu
Bruiser Brody
Abdullah the Butcher
Terry Funk
Ricky Morton
Kurt Angle
Brock lesnar

Last edited:
Ultimate Warrior! 80's/90's wrestling was the best! Warriors return at WM8 is still the greatest return in wrestling history! Before the internet, before the hype, he was known to be gone from the WWF (will never be WWE to me) and returned a year later out of nowhere at WM8 to save Hogan. The man!

Indian Chief Jay Strongbow
Moondogs Rex and King
Wild Samoans Afa and Seka
Tony Atlas
Lex Luger
Ravishing Rick Rude
Rick and Scott Stiener (Big Papa Pump)
Paul Orndorf
The Grand Wizard of Wrestling
Taru Tanaka and Mr. Fugi

Some great names listed here. I always loved Ric Flair and Macho Man Savage. What really made wrestling back then were the interviews and bits these guys would record. I saw someone list Don Muraco, which made me think of this one.