OT: All-Senior NBA Mock Draft | The Boneyard

OT: All-Senior NBA Mock Draft

Reaction Score
I gave this a try last year and I'm going to give it another go this year. What if only recently graduated NCAA seniors were the only players available in the draft? Here's my mock draft:

Mock Draft Part 1: Lottery Edition

#1 Boston: Alec Peters, PF, Valparaiso. He’s not the overall top senior on my board, but this is more of a fit pick. With Amir Johnson and Jerebko UFAs and Zeller not playing well this season Peters gives Boston a big man who can knock down threes and clean up the boards. Not a good defender or very athletic, but good basketball IQ.

#2 LA Lakers: Josh Hart, SG, Villanova. A perfect potential replacement for Jordan Clarkson if he gets traded, Hart brings a great shot, handle, toughness and heart to the Lakers. His A+ character and leadership is also an excellent fit and need for the Lakers.

#3 Philadelphia: Frank Mason III, Kansas. You could argue that he was the best player in the NCAAs last season. All of Philadelphia’s long-term pieces are in the front court, so Mason is a guy right away who could compete with Bayliss for playing time. Small, but tough and clutch.

#4 Phoenix: Wesley Iwundu, SG, Kansas State. Phoenix’s defense is terrible. Iwundu provides length in their lineup that can improve the defense at the wing position. His long 7’1 wingspan and good athleticism helped Iwundu get voted in the Big 12’s all-defensive team. Aggressive, 37.6% 3 won’t hurt their outside shooting. Good distributor too and create his own shot it needed. Might be the first senior drafted this season.

#5 Sacramento Kings: Monte Morris, PG, Iowa St. Perfect blend of BPA and need. Kings are in a dire need for point guards and Morris is a safe ball-handler (6.2/1.2 A/TO ratio) who doesn’t do too much. Doesn’t take stupid shots (50.3 FG%), good enough 3-point shooter (37.8%) and has good FT numbers (80.2%) despite the fact not getting to the line too much. Morris a guy who could seriously have a decade-long NBA career as a backup point guard.

#6 Orlando: Sindarius Thornwell, SG, South Carolina. Very few seniors raised his profile in March Madness more than Thornwell. In the tournament he showcased his outside shot, toughness, handle, ability to drive and draw the foul and his man defense. Orlando actually has a pretty decent starting five, but Thornwell gives them great wing depth right away. Only 6’4, but his 6’10 profiles well for Thornwell playing the 2 or 3.

# 7 Minnesota: Jason Blossomgame, SF, Clemson. Towns and Wiggins are excellent two long-term pieces and Blossomgame helps solidify Minnesota’s depth. At the beginning fo the season, Blossomgame had potential of being the top senior drafted, but his poor long-range shooting, average-at-best defense and so-so combine has dropped his stock. Blossomgame’s best asset is his versatility: at 6’7 (6’10 wingspan) and 220, he could play anywhere from the 2 to the 4.

# 8 New York: Derrick White, PG, Colorado. If New York is stubborn about running the triangle, Derrick White could jump right in as a good triangle PG who has good size (6’4, 6’7 wingspan) and is capable of making his own shot with a .570/.401/.805 ratios. Not the best player at this junction, but more of a need pick and I think he fits the Knicks perfectly.

#9 Dallas: Luke Kornet, PF, Vanderbilt. The next Dirk? Kornet profiles a lot like Dirk: 7’0 240, a smooth outside shot and also made the SEC all-defensive team.

#10 Sacramento: Marcus Marshall, PG, Nevada. Did I say that Sacramento have a dire need for point guards? They do. While Morris is a safe distributor, Marshall is more of a slashing, combo guard who can drive to the net and draw the foul (5.7 FT/g), shoot the 3 (38%) and dish without being too flashy (3.7/1.7 A/TO ratio).

#11 Charlotte: Davon Reed, SG, Miami. Charlotte’s 3-point shooting stunk last year (35.1) so Reed helps with a deep-shooting wing (39.7) while providing incredible seven-foot wingspan in his 6’6 frame helps give Charlotte lots of position versatility with Reed.

#12 Detroit: Damyean Dotson, wing, Houston. Detroit is in a weird crosshairs where they are in need of more talent, character and toughness. They also need guards with Jackson and Caldwell-Pope as question marks in the near future. Dotson helps with all of these facets. 6’5 and a 6’9 wingspan, Dotson is an aggressive player with an excellent 3 point shot (44.3%). Not classically a great defender, but his energy and grit will do a lot of good in Detroit.

#13 Denver: Chris Boucher, PF, Oregon. Denver could use a stretch four. Faried can’t hit a 3 and Arthur has injury issues. Boucher is scrawny, but his 6’10 frame and insane 7’4 wingspan has helped him swat shots last year (2.5 blocks/game) and he can hit the 3 (34.7%).

#14 Miami: Nigel Hayes, F, Wisconsin. One of my favorite NCAA players last season, this pick is a combination of BPA and need. Aside from James Johnson, there’s a lot of garbage at the 4 in Miami. Hayes is only 6’6, but his 7’3 wingspan is insane. He’s creative with the ball, has a good mid-range shot, hits the boards and handles the ball well. Hayes profiles as a versatile role player.

Part 2 to come later!

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I gave this a try last year and I'm going to give it another go this year. What if only recently graduated NCAA seniors were the only players available in the draft? Here's my mock draft:

Mock Draft Part 1: Lottery Edition

#1 Boston: Alec Peters, PF, Valparaiso. He’s not the overall top senior on my board, but this is more of a fit pick. With Amir Johnson and Jerebko UFAs and Zeller not playing well this season Peters gives Boston a big man who can knock down threes and clean up the boards. Not a good defender or very athletic, but good basketball IQ.

#2 LA Lakers: Josh Hart, SG, Villanova. A perfect potential replacement for Jordan Clarkson if he gets traded, Hart brings a great shot, handle, toughness and heart to the Lakers. His A+ character and leadership is also an excellent fit and need for the Lakers.

#3 Philadelphia: Frank Mason III, Kansas. You could argue that he was the best player in the NCAAs last season. All of Philadelphia’s long-term pieces are in the front court, so Mason is a guy right away who could compete with Bayliss for playing time. Small, but tough and clutch.

#4 Phoenix: Wesley Iwundu, SG, Kansas State. Phoenix’s defense is terrible. Iwundu provides length in their lineup that can improve the defense at the wing position. His long 7’1 wingspan and good athleticism helped Iwundu get voted in the Big 12’s all-defensive team. Aggressive, 37.6% 3 won’t hurt their outside shooting. Good distributor too and create his own shot it needed. Might be the first senior drafted this season.

#5 Sacramento Kings: Monte Morris, PG, Iowa St. Perfect blend of BPA and need. Kings are in a dire need for point guards and Morris is a safe ball-handler (6.2/1.2 A/TO ratio) who doesn’t do too much. Doesn’t take stupid shots (50.3 FG%), good enough 3-point shooter (37.8%) and has good FT numbers (80.2%) despite the fact not getting to the line too much. Morris a guy who could seriously have a decade-long NBA career as a backup point guard.

#6 Orlando: Sindarius Thornwell, SG, South Carolina. Very few seniors raised his profile in March Madness more than Thornwell. In the tournament he showcased his outside shot, toughness, handle, ability to drive and draw the foul and his man defense. Orlando actually has a pretty decent starting five, but Thornwell gives them great wing depth right away. Only 6’4, but his 6’10 profiles well for Thornwell playing the 2 or 3.

# 7 Minnesota: Jason Blossomgame, SF, Clemson. Towns and Wiggins are excellent two long-term pieces and Blossomgame helps solidify Minnesota’s depth. At the beginning fo the season, Blossomgame had potential of being the top senior drafted, but his poor long-range shooting, average-at-best defense and so-so combine has dropped his stock. Blossomgame’s best asset is his versatility: at 6’7 (6’10 wingspan) and 220, he could play anywhere from the 2 to the 4.

# 8 New York: Derrick White, PG, Colorado. If New York is stubborn about running the triangle, Derrick White could jump right in as a good triangle PG who has good size (6’4, 6’7 wingspan) and is capable of making his own shot with a .570/.401/.805 ratios. Not the best player at this junction, but more of a need pick and I think he fits the Knicks perfectly.

#9 Dallas: Luke Kornet, PF, Vanderbilt. The next Dirk? Kornet profiles a lot like Dirk: 7’0 240, a smooth outside shot and also made the SEC all-defensive team.

#10 Sacramento: Marcus Marshall, PG, Nevada. Did I say that Sacramento have a dire need for point guards? They do. While Morris is a safe distributor, Marshall is more of a slashing, combo guard who can drive to the net and draw the foul (5.7 FT/g), shoot the 3 (38%) and dish without being too flashy (3.7/1.7 A/TO ratio).

#11 Charlotte: Davon Reed, SG, Miami. Charlotte’s 3-point shooting stunk last year (35.1) so Reed helps with a deep-shooting wing (39.7) while providing incredible seven-foot wingspan in his 6’6 frame helps give Charlotte lots of position versatility with Reed.

#12 Detroit: Damyean Dotson, wing, Houston. Detroit is in a weird crosshairs where they are in need of more talent, character and toughness. They also need guards with Jackson and Caldwell-Pope as question marks in the near future. Dotson helps with all of these facets. 6’5 and a 6’9 wingspan, Dotson is an aggressive player with an excellent 3 point shot (44.3%). Not classically a great defender, but his energy and grit will do a lot of good in Detroit.

#13 Denver: Chris Boucher, PF, Oregon. Denver could use a stretch four. Faried can’t hit a 3 and Arthur has injury issues. Boucher is scrawny, but his 6’10 frame and insane 7’4 wingspan has helped him swat shots last year (2.5 blocks/game) and he can hit the 3 (34.7%).

#14 Miami: Nigel Hayes, F, Wisconsin. One of my favorite NCAA players last season, this pick is a combination of BPA and need. Aside from James Johnson, there’s a lot of garbage at the 4 in Miami. Hayes is only 6’6, but his 7’3 wingspan is insane. He’s creative with the ball, has a good mid-range shot, hits the boards and handles the ball well. Hayes profiles as a versatile role player.

Part 2 to come later!
Definitely not bummed to see Dotson go.

Reaction Score
I like Boucher as much as a lot of these guys. Not much in the senior class.

Reaction Score
Mock-Draft Part 2. The Remaining Picks.
Big props to DraftExpress.com for pretty much all of my scouting.

#15: Portland: Derrick Walton, PG, Michigan. We love Shabazz, but he’s the only real backup behind Lillard. Walton’s stock rises after a strong postseason and provides Portland with more PG depth.

#16: Chicago, Sterling Brown, SG, SMU. Chicago needs athletes and shooters. Isaiah Cannan and Anthony Morrow are so 1-dimensional and Sterling Brown is a deadly 3 point shooter (45%) and has great length (6’9 wingspan) at the SG position. He can make the big shot, and is well rounded in terms of his basketball game. He’s just not the best athlete.

#17: Milwaukee, Kennedy Meeks, C, UNC. Milwaukee could use some help at center. Monroe isn’t a fit, Maker isn’t a center. I can see Meeks getting 15 minutes/game providing Milwaukee much needed beef. He can swallow up offensive boards and give Milwaukee more possessions.

#18: Indiana, Moses Kingsley, C, Arkansas. Indiana is looking for a modern 4 and Kingsley could fit this role. Kingsley is 6’9 but his 7’2.5 wingspan helped him rip 7.6 boards and swat 2.5 blocks/game last season. In a limited role, he also shot 43.8% from 3, so a stretch-4 is a possibility for Kingsley.

#19: Atlanta, Peter Jok, SG, Iowa. Intriguing wing prospect at 6'6 with a 6'9 frame. A do-it-all wing for Iowa who was a volume shooter (14.6 shots/game) and showed a major ability to draw fouls by attacking the rim (5.3 FTA/game, 91.1%). Good on the boards too (5.5 boards/game), but needs to work on handle (2.6/2.5 A/TO ratio). Very athletic.

#20: Portland, Landen Lucas, PF/C, Kansas. Acquiring Nurkic was huge, but adding Lucas could provide Portland more center competition with Leonard not playing much and guys like Aminu and Harkless playing bigger than they should. Lucas is a no-nonsense player who can crash the boards and battle inside.

#21: Oklahoma City, Kadem Allen, PG, Arizona. NBA size at 6’2 with a 6’9 wingspan, Allen can be another attempt by OKC to find a PG to spell Westbrook, but he has enough length to play off-guard and guard the 2. Good 3-point % at 42.7%. I would have preferred a safer ballhandler with Allen’s sketchy 3.0/1.9 A/TO ratio, but he’s the best player available now.

#22: Brooklyn, Andrew White, SG, Syracuse. Brooklyn needs shooters and White shoots well (.506/.401/.837 ratios) and has the size (6’7 220) to be a good 3 and D player in the NBA.

#23: Toronto, Isaiah Hicks, PF, UNC. Ibaka and Patterson are both UFAs, so Hicks provides much-needed power and strength in the interior. Unfortunately, his shooting range is very limited.

#24: Utah, Deonte Burton, SF, Iowa State. I love Burton’s measurables: 6’4 266 with a 7’0 wingspan. Good shooting range and he can do a little bit of everything.

#25: Orlando, Jake Wiley, PF, Eastern Washington. Jake Wiley helps give Orlando another big guy for bench depth. Only 6’7, but a 7’0 wingspan. 21.1p/9.2r/2.8a/2.8b. 64.1fg/82.4fa shows an ability to develop a mid-range game too. Interesting under-the-radar prospect.

#26: Portland, Justin Tuoyo, PF, Chattanooga. Another stretch 4 to give Leonard competition. 6’9 with a 7’1 wingspan. Good 65.3/44.4/64.9 ratios and protected the rim with 2.7 blocks/game.

#27: Brooklyn, Sidy Djitte, C, Clemson. Brooklyn could use a back up center for Lopez and Djitte has the dimensions of a Lopez-lite with a 6’10 height, 7’3 wingspan and 235 pound frame. Good on the offensive glass and he can defend in the post. Quick enough on his feet to handle smaller, faster 5s.

#28: La Lakers, Jamal Artis, SF, Pittsburgh. Lakers have a need for interior defense and Arits’ 6’7 height and 6’10 length profiles him as a 3 and D guy. 39.2% from 3 and 54.5 FG% overall gives him some offensive potential as well.

#29: Spurs, Antonius Cleveland, SG, SE Missouri St. Spurs need to replace Lee, Parker, Ginobili. Cleveland is my Ginobili clone. 6’6 195 with a 58.7% from 2-point and 41.2% from 3. Not afraid to crash the boards (5.2/game) and drive to the net (4.9 FT/game).

#30: Utah Jazz, Malcolm Hill, SF, Illinois. Favors has been a major disappointment, but while Hill doesn’t have the pure size of Favors (6’6, 6’9 wing) he has enough beef (235) to be a modern 4. Very diverse profile with a .498/.358/.784 ratio, good handle (3 assists/game) and strong defense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom