OT: Al McGuire | The Boneyard

OT: Al McGuire

Reaction Score
Just heard an old interview where he said that his 77 team didn’t take a bad shot in a year. He disciplined them. Also went to recruit kids he called “blue plate specials” in the city. One kid was playing pickup, got a gash over his eye and kept playing. Rick Majerus was one of the assistants. Didn’t want a kid with a grass lawn, wanted one with a “cracked sidewalk”. I loved him describing the kids who could shoot and said they were straight from CYO league, you could see the undershorts ( no jockstrap). I want That type of personality for a coach. (and Calhoun had plenty of that in a different way). Maybe we need some CYO and Police League kids?

Reaction Score
Loved Al McGuire. A class act and successful coach for sure! UConn could use someone like him now!

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Al McGuire disciplined very few - he had enough troubles with guys on his teams
Yeah he recruited junkyard dogs but quite a few of them bit him and the program
He was a colorful guy, could coach, knew the game and had some success but don't get caught up with all the hype and McGuire NYC BS
He recruited and took kids that very few coaches at that time would have dared and in this day most probably wouldn't have even qualified for admittance in nearly all schools

Reaction Score
Jerome Whitehead, Butch Lee & Bo Ellis made me fall in love with college hoops as a kid. Watching that Marquette team was the first lasting memory I ever had of any college hoops team. That team was so much fun.

Reaction Score
That was back when there was no real rules....UCLA had an infamous booster who regularly paid players and arranged things like "jobs" where they never actually worked.

Reaction Score
I was 4 back then. Al McGuire made me interested in basketball. He was such a genuine person and he was a great analyst later on. He’s right up there with Raftery as far as I’m concerned. Not quite as funny, but every bit as interesting.

Reaction Score
I was 4 back then. Al McGuire made me interested in basketball. He was such a genuine person and he was a great analyst later on. He’s right up there with Raftery as far as I’m concerned. Not quite as funny, but every bit as interesting.
How about McGuire crying in the final seconds of the title game on the bench vs UNC...while his players drained free throw after free throw to win it.

Man our free throw shooting in 2013-14 was incredible. Analogous to Marquette in that title game.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
How about McGuire crying in the final seconds of the title game on the bench vs UNC...while his players drained free throw after free throw to win it.

Man our free throw shooting in 2013-14 was incredible. Analogous to Marquette in that title game.
Our FT shooting flat out won us a championship. In the tourney, we were 61 for 66 in the last 5 minutes and OT.
92.4% when it mattered.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom