OT Addazio makes excuses early | The Boneyard

OT Addazio makes excuses early

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Addazio is a punk, but he knows how to get wins.
Let's see how his in your face attitude goes this yr if they struggle....he's won with other guy's players. Spam sucked as a HC BUT BC always recruited pretty well. BC cleaned up in the Jersey Catholic he's..especially in Bergen Catholic and Don Bosco when Bill McGovern was lb coach there (he played at Bergen with one of my bosses...was also mentioned for the UCONN job after P left). He's in Phily now with Chip Kelly coaching LB's so let's see how long that pipeline stays open.

Reaction Score
Let's see how his in your face attitude goes this yr if they struggle....he's won with other guy's players. Spam sucked as a HC BUT BC always recruited pretty well. BC cleaned up in the Jersey Catholic he's..especially in Bergen Catholic and Don Bosco when Bill McGovern was lb coach there (he played at Bergen with one of my bosses...was also mentioned for the UCONN job after P left). He's in Phily now with Chip Kelly coaching LB's so let's see how long that pipeline stays open.

A little late on this but most of what you said is wrong. It is true that he won his first 2 years with players from the previous regime, but year 3 is where Spazianis players should be the upperclass leaders of their program, and theyre mostly gone. Soaziani was a terrible recruiter. UConn could never beat him for a recruit, but that doesn't cut it in a P5 league. The select few he was able to get to BC (and quite frankly it was more BC recruiting itself) who had other major offers are legitimate D-1 players, but he could never put together a strong class top to bottom, which is where the depth issues are coming from now. He was especially bad at recruiting lineman (who have mostly transferred or quit), which is what is catching up to Addazio now, the main argument in the attached article.

As for recruiting in New Jersey, BC never recruited Bergen Catholic well at all, not sure where you are getting your information from, in fact I cant think of the last meaningful kid to go to BC from Bergen. Bosco has served BC well and BC will always be in the mix for Bosco kids because of Toal. With much of the NJ powers being Catholic schools, BC will always resonate. Since McGovern left, BC has continued to be successful in NJ and has gotten kids specifically out of St. Peters Prep the last few years (including their starting RB Jon Hilliman who had offers from everywhere).

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
A little late on this but most of what you said is wrong. It is true that he won his first 2 years with players from the previous regime, but year 3 is where Spazianis players should be the upperclass leaders of their program, and theyre mostly gone. Soaziani was a terrible recruiter. UConn could never beat him for a recruit, but that doesn't cut it in a P5 league. The select few he was able to get to BC (and quite frankly it was more BC recruiting itself) who had other major offers are legitimate D-1 players, but he could never put together a strong class top to bottom, which is where the depth issues are coming from now. He was especially bad at recruiting lineman (who have mostly transferred or quit), which is what is catching up to Addazio now, the main argument in the attached article.

As for recruiting in New Jersey, BC never recruited Bergen Catholic well at all, not sure where you are getting your information from, in fact I cant think of the last meaningful kid to go to BC from Bergen. Bosco has served BC well and BC will always be in the mix for Bosco kids because of Toal. With much of the NJ powers being Catholic schools, BC will always resonate. Since McGovern left, BC has continued to be successful in NJ and has gotten kids specifically out of St. Peters Prep the last few years (including their starting RB Jon Hilliman who had offers from everywhere).

Why are you here?

Reaction Score
He also filled holes real fast. He lost Andre Williams and has a stable of FR, SO and RFR that I think any coach would like to have. He needed OL deparately so he went out 2 years in a row and filled them with 5th year grad students. He had a gap year to fill at QB so he grabs Murphy. He turned around a 2 win team in 1 year. Look at their 2 deep and tell me how many kids at skill positions, LB, DB are not his recruits. Not saying he wins with these but it was a 2 win team that appeared talentless when he took over. A lot of kids that are true SO and Jrs have logged some significant playing time since he started coaching at BC. Prior poster is right about Bergen Catholic and BC. Never a strong pipeline school. PSU and RU way more with Bergen players.

I think he has the D coordinator I would want back at Uconn. A guy that loves to attack and create turnovers. In terms of attitude, at least he tells you how he wants to win games and actually answers questions very directly as opposed to some other more local coaches.

Reaction Score
He also filled holes real fast. He lost Andre Williams and has a stable of FR, SO and RFR that I think any coach would like to have. He needed OL deparately so he went out 2 years in a row and filled them with 5th year grad students. He had a gap year to fill at QB so he grabs Murphy. He turned around a 2 win team in 1 year. Look at their 2 deep and tell me how many kids at skill positions, LB, DB are not his recruits. Not saying he wins with these but it was a 2 win team that appeared talentless when he took over. A lot of kids that are true SO and Jrs have logged some significant playing time since he started coaching at BC. Prior poster is right about Bergen Catholic and BC. Never a strong pipeline school. PSU and RU way more with Bergen players.

I think he has the D coordinator I would want back at Uconn. A guy that loves to attack and create turnovers. In terms of attitude, at least he tells you how he wants to win games and actually answers questions very directly as opposed to some other more local coaches.
I liked Brown and was not happy to see him leave BUT I would't want him back here over a guy like Orlando. I lumped Bergen in with Bosco...for that I'll admit my mistake. I'm not a Addazio fan at all...and I'm not sold on him as a head coach...as you can tell. Let's see what he can do when he owns it. I will say this...I follow the University of South Carolina as close as I follow UCONN...which in turn means I follow the SEC. Florida fans were doing cartwheels when he left for Temple.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
When you win, people write that stuff off as being candid. When you lose, you are throwing your players under the bus. I've seen worse frankly, but F BC

Reaction Score

I lumped Bergen and Bosco kids together...my bad...thanks for the BC recruiting lesson. So after 2 7-6 seasons with Spaz's kids you are saying this is his team? Good luck with him...all I can tell you is gator fans were doing cartwheels after he left for Temple..and while he was OC were longing for Dan Mullen to be cloned!

Reaction Score
I liked Brown and was not happy to see him leave BUT I would't want him back here over a guy like Orlando. I lumped Bergen in with Bosco...for that I'll admit my mistake. I'm not a Addazio fan at all...and I'm not sold on him as a head coach...as you can tell. Let's see what he can do when he owns it. I will say this...I follow the University of South Carolina as close as I follow UCONN...which in turn means I follow the SEC. Florida fans were doing cartwheels when he left for Temple.
Thats because he is a run first guy and UF fans have wet dreams over memories of Spurrier even tho it was a run first offense and an aggressive D that won them a national championship.

Reaction Score
Thats because he is a run first guy and UF fans have wet dreams over memories of Spurrier even tho it was a run first offense and an aggressive D that won them a national championship.
No it was because sucked so bad Gator fans wanted Dan Mullen to be cloned and come back...if you are gonna come here and stroke Addazio at least get your facts straight about him at Florida. You and I have had run-in's on here about Addazio before...ypu are related to him, played for him, are friends with him, or know him in some way. He doesn't coach here...I put the article up because of his comments about throwing in the towel and throwing his kids under the bus before the season even started. If you want to be an Addazio fan...go to a BC board and have your love fest. As far as I'm concerned I consider him a loud mouth in your face bully who pushes kids around to get what he needs done. I don't know him..never met him. He is also connected at the hip to the 2 guys who ruined this program! If I had a son who was being recruited by BC I would tell Steve Addazio he wasn't welcome in my home and to take his scholarship offer and shove it up his a s s!

Reaction Score
Daz was masterful in piecing together decent teams the last two season after the absolute * storm Spaz created. He's run the course with key transfers and a veteran OL, so now we'll see how he does developing younger talent. I like what the guy he did at Temple and would liked to have seen him at UCONN when Edsall left. Timing just didn't work out.

Reaction Score
No it was because sucked so bad Gator fans wanted Dan Mullen to be cloned and come back...if you are gonna come here and stroke Addazio at least get your facts straight about him at Florida. You and I have had run-in's on here about Addazio before...ypu are related to him, played for him, are friends with him, or know him in some way. He doesn't coach here...I put the article up because of his comments about throwing in the towel and throwing his kids under the bus before the season even started. If you want to be an Addazio fan...go to a BC board and have your love fest. As far as I'm concerned I consider him a loud mouth in your face bully who pushes kids around to get what he needs done. I don't know him..never met him. He is also connected at the hip to the 2 guys who ruined this program! If I had a son who was being recruited by BC I would tell Steve Addazio he wasn't welcome in my home and to take his scholarship offer and shove it up his a s s!
You would do that no matter the coach at BC if you are being honest.

All I know about Addazio is that he took a 2 win team and had them bowl eligible in 1 year. I know he had a team at Temple that was bowl eligible and I know that he can coherently string two sentences together that makes sense. I also know he beat out BD for that job. All I do in my mind is compare his rebuild, his philosophy and his words to the Uconn coach. You can not tell me that his rebuild job is/was any easier than BD's.

And looking at his OC time at UF, I can see why you hate him since he was 3-1 against the Game ocks and laid 51 and 56 points on them in 2007 and 2008. In 2009 it was only 24. In 2010 UF lost.

I have not posted anything critical about BD in quite a while since he is the coach and therefore he deserves the chance to do it his way. I don't think trying to be objective about other coaches and what they do is wrong. You feel differently. And you and I read words very differently.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You would do that no matter the coach at BC if you are being honest.

All I know about Addazio is that he took a 2 win team and had them bowl eligible in 1 year. I know he had a team at Temple that was bowl eligible and I know that he can coherently string two sentences together that makes sense. I also know he beat out BD for that job. All I do in my mind is compare his rebuild, his philosophy and his words to the Uconn coach. You can not tell me that his rebuild job is/was any easier than BD's.

And looking at his OC time at UF, I can see why you hate him since he was 3-1 against the and laid 51 and 56 points on them in 2007 and 2008. In 2009 it was only 24. In 2010 UF lost.

I have not posted anything critical about BD in quite a while since he is the coach and therefore he deserves the chance to do it his way. I don't think trying to be objective about other coaches and what they do is wrong. You feel differently. And you and I read words very differently.
No I would do that at any school Addazio represented.... I have disliked him LONG before he was at UF...I brought up UF because the fans there HATED him..worse than I do. He won at Temple with Al Golden's recruits..and that program was on the rebound before he got there. Time will tell at BC...

Reaction Score
Take two specific date points from coaches we KNOW:

Edsall would never have had that first year that PP had. He would not be playing Johnny McEntee and we would have had a far more robust running game that Lyle McCown. Edsall had a way of filling a roster with a construct that worked. PP was lost.

Steve Addazio, to his credit, both at Temple and BC figured out a way to make his roster work for how he wanted to play. Solid job in both places. They look like a team that can win a bunch of games.

Neither of them - I would say - are 2015 Champion coaches. If they rise, something happened to the other 11 teams in their league. They are a "bowl eligible" head above water program. And neither of them kill it in recruiting. They just don't.

Diaco now ... chose to energetically totally rebuild a Program. He did NOT take a short cut; and there were things he could have done for more wins last year. He says his rebuild is done (thank God). But, YES, it was attitude, weight training & fitness, RKG, and other things cultural. He took risks. We need to succeed this year. Hope he is as good as I aspire him to be.

Reaction Score
Addazio has brought BC back to mediocrity the past 2 years. He did a good job of patching his roster with transfers, and you have to give him credit for this, but we really haven't seen how his recruiting and player development will pan out. This year will probably be a down year, but they play 2 awful FCS teams this year which will help the record. Recruiting under Addazio has been so so relative to the 2000s when BC consistently had classes ranked low 30s to low 50s.

Personally, I think he would have done a decent job at UConn if he replaced Edsall as I think he would have done much better than PP/GDL as the program was in decent shape when Edsall left. I don't think he would have taken UConn (or BC) to the next level and I'm not sure if would have been a good choice to follow PP/GDL as a total rebuild was necessary.

Reaction Score
Addazio, the man who taught Aaron Hernandez how to break his word.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom