OT - A-Rod/Dempster | The Boneyard

OT - A-Rod/Dempster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm far from the biggest baseball fan, or A-Rod fan for that matter, but what Dempster did was cowardly to put it modestly. If you're self-important enough to feel like you have to send some sort of "message" fine, but it's pretty universally accepted that you don't throw at a guys knee, which he did.

Also, the umpire's decision to issue a warning after the fourth pitch directed at A-Rod was disgraceful. Honestly, pitchers trying to prove their manhood by jeopardizing another man's health, in addition to the guy on their team who is going to be pinned as the sacrificial lamb, really rubs me the wrong way. These bean-ball wars have been going on in baseball for as long as I've been watching the sport, and probably much longer, and the fact that Selig hasn't put an end to it is a real stain on his legacy, IMO. Let's not wait for somebody to be seriously injured in one of these to put a s top to it. It's cowardly in every sense of the word, especially in the American League when somebody else on the team is going to have to take the bullet for you, not to mention putting a free runner on in the thick of a pennant race is never a good idea. Ryan Dempster, grow a pair, and try to get your ERA below 4.5 before you get too brave next time.

Reaction Score
Its part of the game ..been around forever and its one of the few unique aspects it offers vs other sports...u think banning fights in hockey would b the right thing to do? Hell no...btw selig not banning throwing at hitters is tarnishing his rep? His rep is already jacked but him and all other commishes never do anything about it,because taking that part of the game away would make a lot of fans pissed...arod deserves to be ruined for life he cheated and will have records over others he doesnt deserve and if he was never caught then he would never admit to it ..kinda like lance armstrong...wanting all the glory even tho he cheated while pulling the wool over everyones eyes

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Hitting batters has been in the game since it began. So be it.

But, it doesn't matter if the batter is Pol Pot, you have to toss the pitcher if he needs four pitches to nail a guy.

It was awfully self-aggrandizing as well - or at least the idea was. The execution was a tad embarrassing.

Reaction Score
Its part of the game ..been around forever and its one of the few unique aspects it offers vs other sports...u think banning fights in hockey would b the right thing to do? Hell no...btw selig not banning throwing at hitters is tarnishing his rep? His rep is already jacked but him and all other commishes never do anything about it,because taking that part of the game away would make a lot of fans pissed...arod deserves to be ruined for life he cheated and will have records over others he doesnt deserve and if he was never caught then he would never admit to it ..kinda like lance armstrong...wanting all the glory even tho he cheated while pulling the wool over everyones eyes

You're kidding right? That's a joke..........I'm all for part of the game. But throwing behind him on the first one, in tight on the 2nd one and 3rd and then hitting him on the 4th is like stalking a guy.......even the biggest a**wipe in red Sox history the Schill thought he should have been ejected..........it's a baseball game not a "let's get ARod" game. Thats was BUSH period.........

As a Yankee fan I know they need to win the game but Papi needs to go down if the timing allows because that's "part of the game"!;)

Reaction Score

If grown men acting like children on the mound and throwing a dangerous object 95+ MPH at another person is "unique", then I'm not so sure baseball is unique in a good way. Maybe I over-exaggerated saying it tarnishes his rep, but it's certainly something I believe needs to be addressed, regardless of how much the traditionalists like the good ole bean-ball wars. Fighting in hockey is a different animal - it actually involves some element of courage, and both guys are on a level playing field. Targeting a defenseless batter, when there is no way he can retaliate, isn't courageous, or cool, or entertaining. It's gutless.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Hitting batters has been in the game since it began. So be it.

But, it doesn't matter if the batter is Pol Pot, you have to toss the pitcher if he needs four pitches to nail a guy.

It was awfully self-aggrandizing as well - or at least the idea was. The execution was a tad embarrassing.
If that was Pol Pot you're ejected if you chucking anything but grenades.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Sweet win tonight. Let's hope it matters in a month and a half.

Dempster should have been run out. That was pathetic.

Reaction Score
If you're going to throw at a guy, fine. If it's A-Rod, terrific. But hit him the first time. Taking 4 pitches to do it is bush.

You can blame Selig for a lot of things, but the fact that guys still throw at guys isn't going to "stain" his legacy. That's silly.

Reaction Score
Dempster is a squid. You want to take a shot at a guy, fine. But if you miss, then it's on you. That should be it. Taking 4 shots at a guy is bush league. I don't care who you're throwing at. And for full disclosure, I despise A-Rod.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Interesting what is accepted as "part of the game" in sports. Hit batters are def part of the game. But hitting someone on purpose in any other setting sets people up for legal problems. And he threw at ARod for reasons unrelated to playing tonight's game. If he threw at him in the parking lot he'd be arrested. Dempster wasn't even tossed, let alone face criminal prosecution. The rules say ARod is allowed to play. Dempster, who doesn't have to bat, decides to be Charles Bronson. That is not part of the game. The 3 other Yankees who were plunked was part of the game.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what point you're making. If JJ Watt tackled Frank Gore on the street he'd get arrested, too.

Reaction Score
the redsox. half their team roided in the last decade just like everyone else. especially that lackey as if he hasnt played with a hundred users himself. didnt seem to care when glaus won him the world series in 02

Reaction Score
Red Sox fans see it one way, Yankee fans another, then you have your Aroid fans and non Aroid fans entering in the mix.

It was supposed to be a dramatized and executed event but the pitcher couldn't throw straight, in fact Giradi had the most dramatic play. It was comical how ESPN treated the at bat as if it was Tyson vs Mayweather for 12 rounds.

Reaction Score
Dempster said he had a beef; ump knew it and let it go. Garbage. If Dempster really wanted a piece if ARod; he would have told his team mates to stay out of it and invited ARod out to the mound.

Instead, he takes 4 pitches to hit the guy(Strasburg got tossed for 2) and coughs up the lead in a pennant race. You really showed everyone.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I'm not sure what point you're making. If JJ Watt tackled Frank Gore on the street he'd get arrested, too.

The point is, things are accepted in sports as being okay as if sports creates an excuse for assault. If a pitcher has a grudge against someone, it is not part of the game to throw a missile at him. The ":throwing at someone" as part of the game is to keep a batter off stride. Not only that, but why did the whole Sux pen come running in? The whole thing was planned and they expected a fight. If a LB hates Tom Brady and hits him from the blindside 5 seconds after the whistle blows, what happens to the LB? One guess. It didn't happen to the chickens** Dempster. And I am not a fan of ARods conduct.

Reaction Score
Red Sox fans see it one way, Yankee fans another, then you have your Aroid fans and non Aroid fans entering in the mix.

It was supposed to be a dramatized and executed event but the pitcher couldn't throw straight, in fact Giradi had the most dramatic play. It was comical how ESPN treated the at bat as if it was Tyson vs Mayweather for 12 rounds.

Have to say while it's Yanks/Sox we need to throw that out although it makes for good TV. The fact he missed and was allowed to keep trying is joke......ARod is part of his and Lackey's union and they have rights. If you want to be a vigilante then leave the union......otherwise stick to the rules.......Lackey's a pu**y for yapping and not throwing at him, Dempster for missing him and still trying is a bigger one!!!! And the Sox got what they deserved in turn for allowing the show..........

Reaction Score
I have no dog in this fight (Met's fan), but I think it's a joke that the Red Sox pitchers (Lackey/Dempster) feel it's okay to take matters in their own hands because arod is a cheat... Name me a team in baseball that hasn't had a steroid user... What is their opinion of Big Papi? Haven't heard them call him out? Weasels...

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score

If it takes your pitcher 4 pitches to hit the batter, you need to send him down to Pawtucket.

Reaction Score
1st pitch he went after him, pitches 2-3 were just inside and then I think he figured he was putting him on so why not hit him. It motivated the Yanks. But it was like Dempster purposely didn't try and get him out at any point.

As a Sox fan I can't stand Dempster, $12mil for 6-9 and 4.77 on a team 20 games over .500.

If it takes your pircher 4 pitches to hit the batter, you need to send him down to Pawtucket.

Reaction Score
Baseball players are prissy jackasses by nature. We take it for granted but men have died on the field after being hit by a pitch. Not to mention guys who weren't killed, but were never quite the same. American League pitchers are a special brand of coward because they never have to stand in the batter's box. A-rod is a jackass, but if he would have let his bat "slip" in Dempster's direction in his next at bat...I would gave applauded him.

The ump last night handled the situation horribly.

Reaction Score
Maybe, but hockey fighting is beyond stupid. There is no fighting in college or International leagues and it doesn't affect the quality of play. It's a US created thing like people enjoying NASCAR crashes.

Baseball players are prissy jackasses by nature. We take it for granted but men have died on the field after being hit by a pitch. Not to mention guys who weren't killed, but were never quite the same. American League pitchers are a special brand of coward because they never have to stand in the batter's box. A-rod is a jackass, but if he would have let his bat "slip" in Dempster's direction in his next at bat...I would gave applauded him.

The ump last night handled the situation horribly.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Part of the game.

I remember when I played Legion/HS ball we threw at kids who were having a good game. That might be a little extreme, but that's why I didn't pitch!

Reaction Score
I have no dog in this fight (Met's fan), but I think it's a joke that the Red Sox pitchers (Lackey/Dempster) feel it's okay to take matters in their own hands because arod is a cheat... Name me a team in baseball that hasn't had a steroid user... What is their opinion of Big Papi? Haven't heard them call him out? Weasels...

Totally agree(Mets fan too). Don't care one way or another for Red Sox/Yankees(but it is great theatre when they play).

Why does Papi get a pass? Wonder if there were "AROID Sign Holders" that were wearing Big Papi shirts?

Reaction Score
Totally agree(Mets fan too). Don't care one way or another for Red Sox/Yankees(but it is great theatre when they play).

Why does Papi get a pass? Wonder if there were "AROID Sign Holders" that were wearing Big Papi shirts?

It makes me laugh when I see the people holding signs up when the camera stares them down........do they actually know how lame they look if they're not a 10 year old?:rolleyes:

"ARod = A-Cheat".....holy you stay up all night thinking about that one you 30 year old lame looking piece of crap? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom