OT: A new animal to be afraid of.... | The Boneyard

OT: A new animal to be afraid of....

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Giraffes

You'd figure they'd stomp on you, or kick you right? Nope, their weapon of choice is the head butt.

Giraffes, the soccer hooligan of the animal kingdom. Who knew?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I worked with a bunch of animals in South Africa when I was in Veterinary school- we relocated rhinos, sable, wildebeast and and one giraffe, and by far the scariest was the giraffe. The Rhinos, after being drugged, kinda just did what we wanted but the giraffe was kicking wildly (think of a horse kick with legs multiple times as long).

Actually all of the animals are potentially terrifying just due to their strength compared to us. Me and another 200lb guy where holding each cotrolling a horn on an anesthetized sable who decided to lift its head and easily picked us both off the ground. We are lucky that most of us have these big brains to compensate for our physical limitations. Brock lesner may be able to physically compete with the animals

Reaction Score
We may be at the top of the food chain but....I’m not getting close to a 15 foot tall and 2,500 lbs beast.

Reaction Score
I fed a bunch of Giraffe's at a zoo last year. I'm still disturbed by their tongues. I recognize this adds next to nothing to the thread, but holy crap, those tongues...

giraffe-tongue.png

Reaction Score
I fed a bunch of Giraffe's at a zoo last year. I'm still disturbed by their tongues. I recognize this adds next to nothing to the thread, but holy crap, those tongues...

giraffe-tongue.png

It looks like a snake coming out of its mouth

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
We may be at the top of the food chain but....I’m not getting close to a 15 foot tall and 2,500 lbs beast.

We're only at the top of the food chain when we have a large caliber gun or rifle in hand. Otherwise we fall somewhere in the mid range or perhaps even below that, depending upon the size and type of creature we're confronted with.

Reaction Score
We're only at the top of the food chain when we have a large caliber gun or rifle in hand. Otherwise we fall somewhere in the mid range or perhaps even below that, depending upon the size and type of creature we're confronted with.

Yeah, a great white shark, croc, lion, tiger, or bear (oh my!) would say hello........as well as many, many others.

Reaction Score

Yeah no snow. That’s why we are on top and put these dumb animals in zoos. I don’t get your point.

Reaction Score
And I thought this was going to be a bigfoot / dogman thread

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
To add to this thread,

Human decides to take selfie with injured bear, bear kills human.
Florida driver hits alligator crossing I-95 in South Carolina, car spins out of control off road killing mother and two children.
Leopard snatches a ranger's 3-year kid at a national park in Uganda. Dinner served.
And in Zimbabwe a bride to be has arm bitten off by crocodile a few days before the big ceremony.

Yeah, without a gun or weapon we are way down in to the fat part of the bell curve of animal dominance.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
To add to this thread,

Human decides to take selfie with injured bear, bear kills human.
Florida driver hits alligator crossing I-95 in South Carolina, car spins out of control off road killing mother and two children.
Leopard snatches a ranger's 3-year kid at a national park in Uganda. Dinner served.
And in Zimbabwe a bride to be has arm bitten off by crocodile a few days before the big ceremony.
Yeah, without a gun or weapon we are way down in to the fat part of the bell curve of animal dominance.

Hell, a hoard of rats or even ants can make relatively quick work of a human.

CL82

Reaction Score

Or pack hunting, which is what gave rise to human ascension to the top of the food chain. Not that the bulk of us really have those those skills anymore.

I've told the story here before, I think, about my interaction with bear in the Adirondacks. Long story short, their were six of us and on of him and he wasn't the least bit intimidated. Us on the other hand...

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Or pack hunting, which is what gave rise to human ascension to the top of the food chain. Not that the bulk of us really have those those skills anymore.

I've told the story here before, I think, about my interaction with bear in the Adirondacks. Long story short, their were six of us and on of him and he wasn't the least bit intimidated. Us on the other hand...

Just remember, you don't have to be faster than the bear. Just can't be slowest human.
#alwaysnaturewalkwithafatty

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score

giraffe-tongue.png
Wait is this Ja Ja Binks' family member?

CL82

Reaction Score
Just remember, you don't have to be faster than the bear. Just can't be slowest human.
#alwaysnaturewalkwithafatty
In this particular group I wasn't 100% I wouldn't be the slowest, so I had decide which of them I was going to shove to the ground.

#beprepared

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

That's really it. It's tool use and brainpower. We rose to the top of the food chain long before gunpowder. Fire, clubs, bows and arrows, swords, and the ability to construct shelters. The average medieval castle as pretty much safe from most animals. But our skillset and awareness are so low now. 150 years ago, the six of you wouldn't venture into the Adirondacks unless you were prepared to meet and deal with a bear. Now people think going into nature is like going to the mall.

The ocean is where we're still further down, except when in a boat or submarine. No use of fire, melee weapons useless, we can't breathe underwater and are weak swimmers. Even a 4 foot sandshark is more than a match for most humans.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom