OT: A Major Mystery At The Masters | The Boneyard

OT: A Major Mystery At The Masters

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
What happened last 2 years before the cell phone was invented and Mariah Carey was on the top of the charts? There was another little puzzler in this trinity of illustrations of long, long ago, but it slips my mind. Answer: Tiger donned the Green Jacket for the last time. I heard this unholy trinity maybe a dozen times in the course of watching a few hours of 2nd round coverage - okay, semi-watching. Could have hit the air 2 dozen times in that span. Meanwhile the camera's are following around this guy who was as low as 75th and as high as 40th; the guys the bookies had given the best odds to win the event about 10 days before said event.

The entire field had trouble with the course and wind, but Tiger was shaky in every aspect of his game and you could see him struggling to keep his cool and to find his game again. On 14, 15, 16 he went birdie, birdie, eagle to get back to +3 and he finished +4 . It wasn't Homeric, but I give him credit for hanging in.

Here's the thing though. The coverage of this Masters is being absolutely ruined by ESPN's shilling of the Tiger comeback story. The game gets no growth out of a myopic fascination with a 41 year old golfer when the leaders of the masters are getting coverage crumbs. I'm hoping for better over the weekend.

Oh yeah, I tuned into a review hour on ESPN this morning in time to see one of the talking heads intoning: "The last time this happened was 2 years before...." I moved on to a recorded NYPD Blue rerun.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
The leaderboard after two rounds is pretty remarkable. Chasing Reed are players like Speith, McIlroy, Thomas, Dustin Johnson, Bubba Watson, Rose, Fowler, Stenson. Looks like it is going to be quite a show.

Will they still focus on the guy who starts the day 13 strokes back and 4 over? Probably, because he drives the ratings way, way up when he is in the tournament, even more so if he is contending. The networks will try to pretend he is in contention even when he is not. Looks like he is still spraying it off the tee, amazing the amount of success he has had given his penchant for wayward tee balls. Unbelievable short game when he is on.

That`s how network coverage was for about ten years or so beginning around 1997 or 1998. I got tired of it then and am not looking forward to it now.

I wll say, though, that these young stars can thank Tiger for the size of the purses they are winning and in some cases for the fact that they are playing golf in the first place.

Last edited:

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
The good news is that Tiger is done for the day, before the leaders teed off. I'm enjoying watching the Masters (Tiger coverage nonexistent) and reading the BY. Life is good!!!!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The good news is that Tiger is done for the day, before the leaders teed off. I'm enjoying watching the Masters (Tiger coverage nonexistent) and reading the BY. Life is good!!!!

I frankly do not like the Masters course and even less what they do with it to inflate their feelings of self worth - the "Committee", which you may think off like the NCAA to get my drift about their old boy (and girl) superiority and distain. Then along come the rain to neutralize a substantial part of their BS and Rory says, what! rain!! I love it. Suddenly everyone is tearing it up, ridiculous pin placements notwithstanding. If it wasn't "the Masters" half the field would go make money somewhere else.

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
I frankly do not like the Masters course and even less what they do with it to inflate their feelings of self worth - the "Committee", which you may think off like the NCAA to get my drift about their old boy (and girl) superiority and distain. Then along come the rain to neutralize a substantial part of their BS and Rory says, what! rain!! I love it. Suddenly everyone is tearing it up, ridiculous pin placements notwithstanding. If it wasn't "the Masters" half the field would go make money somewhere else.
I agree with every word. The rain certainly put a DAMPER on committee snickering?

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
Suddenly it's the Bob Hope Desert Classic!
Rory just put an eagle in, from off the green. I typically root for U.S. players but Rory is one of my favorites from "off shore" because of his humble roots and even temper, regardless of bad - good play.

Reaction Score
What happened last 2 years before the cell phone was invented and Mariah Carey was on the top of the charts? There was another little puzzler in this trinity of illustrations of long, long ago, but it slips my mind. Answer: Tiger donned the Green Jacket for the last time. I heard this unholy trinity maybe a dozen times in the course of watching a few hours of 2nd round coverage - okay, semi-watching. Could have hit the air 2 dozen times in that span. Meanwhile the camera's are following around this guy who was as low as 75th and as high as 40th; the guys the bookies had given the best odds to win the event about 10 days before said event.

The entire field had trouble with the course and wind, but Tiger was shaky in every aspect of his game and you could see him struggling to keep his cool and to find his game again. On 14, 15, 16 he went birdie, birdie, eagle to get back to +3 and he finished +4 . It wasn't Homeric, but I give him credit for hanging in.

Here's the thing though. The coverage of this Masters is being absolutely ruined by ESPN's shilling of the Tiger comeback story. The game gets no growth out of a myopic fascination with a 41 year old golfer when the leaders of the masters are getting coverage crumbs. I'm hoping for better over the weekend.

Oh yeah, I tuned into a review hour on ESPN this morning in time to see one of the talking heads intoning: "The last time this happened was 2 years before...." I moved on to a recorded NYPD Blue rerun.

On 14, 15, 16 he went birdie, birdie, eagle to get back to +3 and he finished +4 .

Where did you see this? He went par, birdie, bogie. Augusta is a strange course and lots of top players have bad rounds. The defending champion, Garcia shot 81, 78 this year. As bad as Woods is playing Mickleson is several shots behind him.

Almost all the leaders (Spieth, McElroy, Johnson, Rahm, etc) played Friday in the morning, before ESPN's coverage started. I agree that Tiger got more attention than his score deserved but if you knew the difference in TV ratings between tournaments he is playing and those he isn't you would know why. The players freely admit that half the purse money they play for is a direct result of his career. Like it or not Woods is the show.

Today (Saturday) you would have thought McElroy led the tournament by the way they hung on him. True, he was second, several shots behind, but did they have to interview him while the actual leader was playing a hole. Star treatment is normal in golf.

There have always been stars getting extra coverage. Arnie, Jack, Norman, all were covered long after they had any shot at winning. At least Tiger can still hit the shots.

The thing that makes me laugh is that the same "expert commentators" who proclaimed Tiger was dead six months ago have now gone to the opposite extreme. He's basically been out of competitive golf for 3 years due to injury. I don't expect him to be sharp for several more months.

Reaction Score
Rory just put an eagle in, from off the green. I typically root for U.S. players but Rory is one of my favorites from "off shore" because of his humble roots and even temper, regardless of bad - good play.

Even temper? LOL Like when he tossed his 4 iron into the lake last year at Bay Hill? Wait till that putter's batteries wear out and he starts yipping 3 footers again. I lost respect for him when I learned that he broke his engagement over the phone several years ago. Yeah, a real class act.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
On 14, 15, 16 he went birdie, birdie, eagle to get back to +3 and he finished +4 .

Where did you see this? He went par, birdie, bogie. Augusta is a strange course and lots of top players have bad rounds. The defending champion, Garcia shot 81, 78 this year. As bad as Woods is playing Mickleson is several shots behind him.

Almost all the leaders (Spieth, McElroy, Johnson, Rahm, etc) played Friday in the morning, before ESPN's coverage started. I agree that Tiger got more attention than his score deserved but if you knew the difference in TV ratings between tournaments he is playing and those he isn't you would know why. The players freely admit that half the purse money they play for is a direct result of his career. Like it or not Woods is the show.

Today (Saturday) you would have thought McElroy led the tournament by the way they hung on him. True, he was second, several shots behind, but did they have to interview him while the actual leader was playing a hole. Star treatment is normal in golf.

There have always been stars getting extra coverage. Arnie, Jack, Norman, all were covered long after they had any shot at winning. At least Tiger can still hit the shots.

The thing that makes me laugh is that the same "expert commentators" who proclaimed Tiger was dead six months ago have now gone to the opposite extreme. He's basically been out of competitive golf for 3 years due to injury. I don't expect him to be sharp for several more months.

I saw it in a crawl and the commentator mentioned it too, but with my on and off again attention span maybe it was a memory minute! The commentator specifically mentioned it getting him back to =3. Strange. It sure did seem that they had picked McElroy as "the One" of the day. This morning they are still focusing on him.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Good points all. Speaking of "NYPD Blue," I was watching "Chicago Fire" the other night and who is a guest star? None other than Kim Delaney of "NYPD Blue" and it was very pleasant to see her. And, who plays her ex-husband? Treat Williams, from "Everwood."

Next thing you know Fuzzy Zoeller will show up on cable to hawk some golf-related product! :rolleyes:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
If it wasn't "the Masters" half the field would go make money somewhere else.

Yeah, instead they play by invitation in order to win an annuity of a lifetime. Go figure. What is wrong with them. Sheesh! :D:rolleyes:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
to win an annuity of a lifetime

Call me dense? Win a Masters and you're made for life? True - you can play another and another and another ...I get that. But ask Sergio about the annuity!

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Call me dense? Win a Masters and you're made for life? True - you can play another and another and another ...I get that. But ask Sergio about the annuity!
Annuity as in money, promotions, connections, business deals, etc.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Speith is incredible. Making a run with an incredible shot on 13 for an eagle try but missed the 7 footer to leave birdie Reed 14 under (1 under today) after 9 and Speith at 12 under after 13. Finau (the guy who dislocated his ankle celebrating on the Par 3 event) with 6 straight birdies from holes 12-17. Wow.

Edit: Oh poop. Finau missed the birdy attempt (very close) which would have tied the master's record of 7 consecutive birdies. :(

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Rory walked onto the first tee with the air of the conquering hero... still waiting. Meanwhile the stampede approaches.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Speith fizzled on the 18 with a bogie. Reed's only pressure left is Fowler but Reed has stabilized his game. I do not see him coughing it up

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
All Reed has to do is keep his wits. That's all!?? The man's stomach acids must be horrendous right about now. Knowing he hasn't really played that well and he still has a 2 stroke lead with 3 to go, has got to be encouraging.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
All Reed has to do is keep his wits. That's all!?? The man's stomach acids must be horrendous right about now. Knowing he hasn't really played that well and he still has a 2 stroke lead with 3 to go, has got to be encouraging.

One stroke now with Fowler's birdie, but Reed just avoided the trap on his tee shot.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Nice ending. I'm sure the TV people were unhappy with Reed's happy but calm demeanor. If he keeps putting like that more hardware is headed his way.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Nice ending. I'm sure the TV people were unhappy with Reed's happy but calm demeanor. If he keeps putting like that more hardware is headed his way.

Reed showed good resolve at the end but Speith is my guy. An average sized guy who does not need to smash the ball and wind with precision and incredible putting. Also feel pretty bad for Ricky Fowler. So close so many times without a Major win.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Reed showed good resolve at the end but Speith is my guy. An average sized guy who does not need to smash the ball and wind with precision and incredible putting. Also feel pretty bad for Ricky Fowler. So close so many times without a Major win.

If Ricky would just lose those neon outfits! But, yeah, for all his talent it is a mystery ....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom