OT: 5 entities vying for management of XL & the RENT... | The Boneyard

OT: 5 entities vying for management of XL & the RENT...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Heard on WTIC News that in today's Hartford Business Journal is an article saying that these five companies have submitted bids to manage the XL Center & Rentschler Field starting next year:
1. AEG Management (current manager of the XL)
2. Bushnell Management (Current manager of the RENT)
3 Harbor Management (Manager of Bridgeport's Harbor Yard Complex)
4. Global Spectrum of Philadelphia
5.SMG Management of Philadelphia

Reaction Score
Keep it instate. Tell Bushnell they need to do better. Harbor Management is not a bad idea. They are very good at promoting.

(Cool avatar, coachcap.)

Reaction Score
Keep it instate. Tell Bushnell they need to do better. Harbor Management is not a bad idea. They are very good at promoting.

(Cool avatar, coachcap.)
Glad you like it. Mrs. coachcap & myself were snapped by my son's girlfriend in front of the stadium as we tailgated before the Fiesta Bowl.

Reaction Score
Glad you like it. Mrs. coachcap & myself were snapped by my son's girlfriend in front of the stadium as we tailgated before the Fiesta Bowl.
It has artistic value. We have an athletic department that became elite at the beginning of the space age.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
It has artistic value. We have an athletic department that became elite at the beginning of the space age.

1959?

Reaction Score
Who can get Big Time Soccer into the Rent? That's who I want.

I read that a group of investors were exploring starting a 2nd division (NASL) club in Hartford but the rent at the Rent was totally over the top and the project was a non starter.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I read that a group of investors were exploring starting a 2nd division (NASL) club in Hartford but the rent at the Rent was totally over the top and the project was a non starter.

Yeah, the place for that would be New Britian. I've been to a couple of Rev games there.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Whoever will enclose the scoreboard side of the stadium with 10-20K more seats and a state of the art videoboard. I'm tired of seeing hundreds of socialites standing around and partying over there while paying zero attention to the game itself.

Reaction Score

(Cool avatar, coachcap.)

This is exactly the kind of dinosaur thinking that leads to us to trouble. Instead of just saying "keep it in state" why not go to the group that's the best fit and has the most to offer? Attendance at the Rent sucks and financials are questionable. Ever think that a group from out of state in a major metro area like Philly might have some different innovative ideas on how to improve upon the current scenario? Unreal how small minded people can be.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Whoever will enclose the scoreboard side of the stadium with 10-20K more seats and a state of the art videoboard. I'm tired of seeing hundreds of socialites standing around and partying over there while paying zero attention to the game itself.

No. Keep the scoreboard side of the stadium open. It gives a view of the Hartford skyline- it ain't Manhattan, but it's ours. You add seating on the Uconn bench side of the stadium and wrap it around the student section.

As for the socialites congregating. I like it for a couple of reasons.

First, would you rather them socialize there or while seated in front, behind and next to you. It gives fans a chance to stretch the legs out and mingle without harming the game atmosphere for fans in the seats. Wish they sold separate SRO tickets. We did it a bunch for the AA baseball team that started here in Pensacola last summer. It was great to walk around the concourse and check out different vantage points. Bottom line for me is that fans standing under a scoreboard don't negatively impact the game for anyone in a seat. What's the problem?

Second, if you are paying so much attention to them payinng zero attention to the game, how much time are you spending paying attention to the game? (full smart ass mode on for that comment).

Reaction Score
No. Keep the scoreboard side of the stadium open. It gives a view of the Hartford skyline- it ain't Manhattan, but it's ours. You add seating on the Uconn bench side of the stadium and wrap it around the student section.

First, would you rather them socialize there or while seated in front, behind and next to you. It gives fans a chance to stretch the legs out and mingle without harming the game atmosphere for fans in the seats. Wish they sold separate SRO tickets. We did it a bunch for the AA baseball team that started here in Pensacola last summer. It was great to walk around the concourse and check out different vantage points. Bottom line for me is that fans standing under a scoreboard don't negatively impact the game for anyone in a seat. What's the problem?

Second, if you are paying so much attention to them payinng zero attention to the game, how much time are you spending paying attention to the game? (full smart ass mode on for that comment).

The only problem I have with this is that it adds to the perception of an empty stadium (I know it isn't the only thing adding to the perception). In the past, I had season tix with 7 other people. About 75% of the time I was the only person from my group in my seat. It was the main reason I gave up season tickets (other than living in Germany).

I am, however, not opposed to the idea of making it an SRO area for a lesser cost. If it can be safely and legally set up then it frees up the socialites to do what they want and by limiting the access it hopefully funnels more people to their seats.

That is not our biggest problem, though...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
FWIW, they don't allow standing room between the 35-yerd lines anymore.

Reaction Score
Sorry Chin, the standing patrons should be in their seats to fill the stadium. I would endorse closing in the scoreboard end as well as many of the current side portals. The new HD scoreboard, twice as big, is ready to go. Just needs funding, $1M, lol. I trust the new management will push for the upgrade.

Reaction Score
The original expansion to 50k design involves a third tier to be built above, and I believe overhang - not sure about that - but I know it was a third level to go opposite the tower, and the endzones unchanged. I think we should probably complete the original design, before we start knocking walls down.

it would be nice to have a third tier above the student section as well, with open ended corners and leaving the scoreboard side open. It would essentially model the basic design of Heinz field, which is another field with distinct weather home field advantages.

The wind and weather patterns around Rentschler are a distinct home field advantage, when that wind is blowing in off the runway, it swirls in there worse than the old Giants stadium and when you're going into it, it makes a huge difference. I remember seeing a Zach Collaros throw essentially die in mid-air in the wind and get picked off by one of our DB's - I think Mike Lang, a few years ago.

Don't want to get rid of that for teams coming in.

Reaction Score
The original expansion to 50k design involves a third tier to be built above, and I believe overhang - not sure about that - but I know it was a third level to go opposite the tower, and the endzones unchanged. I think we should probably complete the original design, before we start knocking walls down.

it would be nice to have a third tier above the student section as well, with open ended corners and leaving the scoreboard side open. It would essentially model the basic design of Heinz field, which is another field with distinct weather home field advantages.

The wind and weather patterns around Rentschler are a distinct home field advantage, when that wind is blowing in off the runway, it swirls in there worse than the old Giants stadium and when you're going into it, it makes a huge difference. I remember seeing a Zach Collaros throw essentially die in mid-air in the wind and get picked off by one of our DB's - I think Mike Lang, a few years ago.

Don't want to get rid of that for teams coming in.
I'm wondering when the upgrade is made, what effect the change in structure will have on those same wind patterns if any.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

I always look in that direction to get my Better Bedding 1980s sports bloopers! They're just a gas!

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Why would they add on if they can't fill what they have?

Reaction Score
"The XL Center, pushing 40, needs to be renovated. And that's what makes the Bushnell's joint bid with a group called the Capital Region Sports and Entertainment Group so fascinating."

So small minded, according to some nitwit here. Jacobs is saying an in-state group has the best grasp of the situation. We can use the XL for B1G hockey games. (I'll just keep dreaming.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom