OT: 5.6 Earthquake in No. California | The Boneyard

OT: 5.6 Earthquake in No. California

Status
Not open for further replies.

CompSci87

Stanford fan
Reaction Score
It was way too far north to feel in Palo Alto. Your post was the first I heard of it.

Googled a bit, and the AP story says that it was 240 miles north of San Francisco, near the Oregon border, and was widely felt within a 100 mile radius.

OSU and UO are about 200 miles north of where the quake was, so it wouldn't have been felt there either.

Reaction Score
Well, now, who says that the Stanford posters live exclusively in Palo Alto? Our beloved UConn fans are spread far and wide. Aren't Stanford fans the same? Who is to say that they don't live in a place that DID feel it? :)

Seriously, I do forget how BIG California is. I grew up in Southern California, but haven't been there since I was 11 so I never really had the sense for just how big it is. I am interested in earthquakes, and went through the major San Fernando Valley quake in 1971 as a mere child. I am particularly watching for any in the San Francisco area. My youngest son is doing an internship in Palo Alto this upcoming summer. I hope he gets to experience a minor trembler - certainly not hoping for a major one while he is there. Not that I am hoping for a major one at any time, but it is a fact of life out there - and only a matter of time before "The Big One" hits.

Reaction Score
I live on Oakland/Berkeley border (right on the Hayward fault), but I didn't feel anything

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
It was way too far north to feel in Palo Alto. Your post was the first I heard of it.

Googled a bit, and the AP story says that it was 240 miles north of San Francisco, near the Oregon border, and was widely felt within a 100 mile radius.

OSU and UO are about 200 miles north of where the quake was, so it wouldn't have been felt there either.
It is very common for quakes of 5 and higher to be felt a couple of hundred miles away depending on the geologic structure.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Seriously, I do forget how BIG California is. quote]
A lot of people in the east (particularly NE) don't realize how big the rest of the country is.

CompSci87

Stanford fan
Reaction Score
Well, now, who says that the Stanford posters live exclusively in Palo Alto?

Hee hee -- I didn't mean to suggest that. I mentioned Palo Alto because that's where I was posting from.

It is very common for quakes of 5 and higher to be felt a couple of hundred miles away depending on the geologic structure.

Guess I should just have said that I didn't feel it here.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
You guys may be used to it, too. Last year there was a 5+ quake in VA that was felt throuout PA and up to NYC. That is several hundred miles. It all depends on the geology. You can be 50 miles away and barely feel anything, too.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
The quake was in Eureka about 250 miles away from Sacramento...no aftershocks were felt in Sacramento...

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
If I recall correctly, the worst I have felt was the Northridge quake, that was pretty bad. Been through a lot of 5s but we californians get used to those.

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
You guys may be used to it, too. Last year there was a 5+ quake in VA that was felt throuout PA and up to NYC. That is several hundred miles. It all depends on the geology. You can be 50 miles away and barely feel anything, too.

- Interesting point.
-NewsHour recently posted this, for a new, unique perspective on earthquakes.
- You can skim the article – the video is quick & intuitive.
- Wait until March...
- Hope you find it interesting. Be sure to leave your sound on:
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/2012/02/we-recently-stumbled-on-this.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members