OSU vs Cards - random observations and a rule question | The Boneyard

OSU vs Cards - random observations and a rule question

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
1. At the game with my wife - her first time seeing UConn live. Her first observation - where was the fluidity in either the Buckeye or Cardinals offense?

2. I think Louisville will practice inbounding and breaking a press defense a lot in the coming weeks.

3. Phooey on the officiating in this game. 44 fouls in 45 minutes. At least they were evenly distributed between the teams. As is often the case, I thought some of them were pretty tacky. One of them on Durr was a ghost call. She clearly didn’t touch the shooter at all.

4. Sure was a fun game to be at, ragged as it was at times.

5. Mitchell scored 26 points and didn’t have a bucket until the final minute of the first half. That was the quietest scoring I’ve observed.

Here’s the question. While a cross court pass was in the air during an OSU possession, McGruff called a time out. The pass was intercepted by Louisville but OSU kept possession and subsequently scored. I was surprised that the timeout was allowed. Any rule maven able to comment on this?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
1. At the game with my wife - her first time seeing UConn live. Her first observation - where was the fluidity in either the Buckeye or Cardinals offense?

2. I think Louisville will practice inbounding and breaking a press defense a lot in the coming weeks.

3. Phooey on the officiating in this game. 44 fouls in 45 minutes. At least they were evenly distributed between the teams. As is often the case, I thought some of them were pretty tacky. One of them on Durr was a ghost call. She clearly didn’t touch the shooter at all.

5. Mitchell scored 26 points and didn’t have a bucket until the final minute of the first half. That was the quietest scoring I’ve observed.

Here’s the question. While a cross court pass was in the air during an OSU possession, McGruff called a time out. The pass was intercepted by Louisville but OSU kept possession and subsequently scored. I was surprised that the timeout was allowed. Any rule maven able to comment on this?
I don't remember the play you mention, but in general his timeout request should only be recognized if his team possesses the ball (i.e., ball in player's hands, not in air).

Sometimes the ref hears a timely request but doesn't react with the whistle until a pass has been made. That would still be okay.

Reaction Score
I don't remember the play you mention, but in general his timeout request should only be recognized if his team possesses the ball (i.e., ball in player's hands, not in air).

Sometimes the ref hears a timely request but doesn't react with the whistle until a pass has been made. That would still be okay.

Yes, judging by the description, I'm sure that's what happened. A timeout occurs when a referee in his/her mind recognizes the request. It doesn't matter if it takes another second to actually blow the whistle - although obviously you'd like the lag time to be as short as possible.

Reaction Score
a ragged but really fun game to watch.........two equally matched teams...........don't think Durr is as consistent a scorer as Mitchell is but she put on quite a show today proving again that when she's on there are few better............

Reaction Score
Was the game that ugly. I wanted to watch it badly but had other things to do. But 44 fouls in 45 minutes is downright awful, isn't it? Almost unwatchable?

cabbie191

Reaction Score
Was the game that ugly. I wanted to watch it badly but had other things to do. But 44 fouls in 45 minutes is downright awful, isn't it? Almost unwatchable?

The officiating was ugly but the game itself wasn't. Some really excellent outside shooting by both teams, and it certainly was excitingly close at the end.

One little thing did bother me about the double header and how OSU organized it. Not only were there no programs, they didn't even bother to print off sheets with the players' names and numbers. When I asked about this with an arena official before the UConn/Stanford game started, she said that they expected fans would print them off at home and bring them to Columbus.

Reaction Score

That is funny your wife at her first UConn game noticing the difference in how fluid UConn's O was compared to OSU and L'ville.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

I'm not 100% sure about the college rule book, but for HS I believe that call would be correct.

OSU technically still had "team control" which is all you need to be able to call a time out.

cabbie191

Reaction Score
That is funny your wife at her first UConn game noticing the difference in how fluid UConn's O was compared to OSU and L'ville.

What can I say? I married a smart woman! :)

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
One little thing did bother me about the double header and how OSU organized it. Not only were there no programs, they didn't even bother to print off sheets with the players' names and numbers. When I asked about this with an arena official before the UConn/Stanford game started, she said that they expected fans would print them off at home and bring them to Columbus.

Lame x 10.

Reaction Score
I'm not 100% sure about the college rule book, but for HS I believe that call would be correct.

OSU technically still had "team control" which is all you need to be able to call a time out.

No. According to NCAA rules, to call timeout, there must be "player control", not just so-called "team control".

Under NCAA rules, "A timeout shall be granted and charged after a visual or oral request is made by a player or head coach in .a through .c . . . : a. When a player of that team is in control of the ball (this includes throwins and free throws) (Exception: Rule 5-15.1.c). b. When the ball is at the disposal of a player of the team entitled to the ball. c. When the ball is dead."

"Player control" is defined as follows. "A player shall be in control when: a.) Holding a live ball; or b.) Dribbling a live ball while inbounds." There is no player control when the ball is being passed, although there is still team control.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
The officiating was ugly but the game itself wasn't. Some really excellent outside shooting by both teams, and it certainly was excitingly close at the end.

Didn't realize OSU organized it. Not doubting you, I just assumed it was an NCAA thing relating to the Final Four being in that arena.

the Q

Reaction Score
No. According to NCAA rules, to call timeout, there must be "player control", not just so-called "team control".

Under NCAA rules, "A timeout shall be granted and charged after a visual or oral request is made by a player or head coach in .a through .c . . . : a. When a player of that team is in control of the ball (this includes throwins and free throws) (Exception: Rule 5-15.1.c). b. When the ball is at the disposal of a player of the team entitled to the ball. c. When the ball is dead."

"Player control" is defined as follows. "A player shall be in control when: a.) Holding a live ball; or b.) Dribbling a live ball while inbounds." There is no player control when the ball is being passed, although there is still team control.

Cool thanks. I know college has some different rules. I know ct hs it’s only team control.

cabbie191

Reaction Score
Didn't realize OSU organized it. Not doubting you, I just assumed it was an NCAA thing relating to the Final Four being in that arena.

Based on the announcements hyping the Final Four and some of the signage around the arena, I think it was a joint effort.

Reaction Score
Cool thanks. I know college has some different rules. I know ct hs it’s only team control.

I don't follow the HS game much, but it seems bizarre that a team can call a legal timeout in the midst of a crosscourt pass that might be intercepted.

Reaction Score

I don't follow the HS game much, but it seems bizarre that a team can call a legal timeout in the midst of a crosscourt pass that might be intercepted.

Looking at the NFHS basketball rules book, it appears that the HS rule is the same as college, i.e. that there must be player control to call timeout.

"Time-out occurs and the clock, if running, shall be stopped when an official , , ,

ART. 3 . . . Grants and signals a player’s/head coach’s oral or visual request for a time-out, such request being granted only when:
a. The ball is at the disposal or in control of a player of his/her team.
b. The ball is dead

And "player control" is defined as "A player is in control of the ball when he/she is holding or dribbling a live ball." "Team control " is defined the same way as in the NCAA rulebook, but timeout may not be taken when there is only team control but not player control.

Reaction Score
High School Basketball in Conn. is the same ruling as college for a timeout.

the Q

Reaction Score

I this case it was probably like the NFL where they blow the whistle like 3 seconds after the snap but the timeout was actually called before the pass was thrown.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom