OSU-Oregon Magnifies UConn's Futility And Distance From Top (Jacobs) | The Boneyard

OSU-Oregon Magnifies UConn's Futility And Distance From Top (Jacobs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Why? Why write this now? We all know we've been royally in this CR shtstorm. We know the season sucked. The horse has been beaten to near death. Is he trying to be the final blow? Why give people on the fence that much more reason to bail?

Reaction Score
His job is to stir the pot. Diaco and Warde's jobs are to give him nothing to stir. 6000 through the turnstiles is a major problem though. Program is bleeding season ticket holders. Next year is critical

Reaction Score
I can't believe how much this sucks. I thought the article was insightful and basically summed up the boneyard sentiment. FML!!!

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
LOL, JJ is on ignore.

He doesn't write without his agenda, and it seems funny that the state's largest paper would hire someone who hates the state's largest university.

Reaction Score
Why? Why write this now? We all know we've been royally in this CR shtstorm. We know the season sucked. The horse has been beaten to near death. Is he trying to be the final blow? Why give people on the fence that much more reason to bail?

I prefer using the phrase "stop kicking the dog, its already dead"

Reaction Score
what cracks me up about the people who want to drop football to save basketball don't realize is that over time your basketball program will fall into the abyss as well. The money football provides contributes to new and better facilities for all sports, it contributes to better buildings on campus and better student life in general. If you don't have the great venue,, the great practice facilities, you wont be getting great recruits anymore. Don't think the P5 haven't figured this out already. They delivered the death blows to the schools who don't have the Olympic sport pedigree that UConn and a few other schools have. The death for us will come much much slower, but it will happen to basketball as well.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
what cracks me up about the people who want to drop football to save basketball don't realize is that over time your basketball program will fall into the abyss as well. The money football provides contributes to new and better facilities for all sports, it contributes to better buildings on campus and better student life in general. If you don't have the great venue,, the great practice facilities, you wont be getting great recruits anymore. Don't think the P5 haven't figured this out already. They delivered the death blows to the schools who don't have the Olympic sport pedigree that UConn and a few other schools have. The death for us will come much much slower, but it will happen to basketball as well.

It's funny when its a few message board lunatics. It's going to become unfunny in the future.

Reaction Score
That is such a stupid thing to write. The people that actually pay attention to what he wrote in that article are all basically here and they know what is at stake. Warde put his eggs in the Bob Diaco basket he better be right or it will likely be his job and lord knows what it means for us and UConn athletics.

Diaco better not think for one second that a loss to Villanova is in any way acceptable or to be expected or part of his process. I don't care how good they are in FCS. He better have his guys ready and start earning his life changing paycheck. 5300 through the turnstyles is unimaginable, but what do you expect with sheetshow Coach Diaco out last year. A winless team, with a coaching staff with nothing on the line, came in on the last day of the season, and put on a coaching clinic in the second half against us. Those that stayed home knew what was coming.

Reaction Score
Sad thing is even with those abysmal attendance numbers for SMU, you can hardly blame people. The team was near unwatchable in almost every game this year. SMU came in winless. Our team is a train wreck. Lousy cold weather day in December. All under the dark cloud of post CR apocalype constantly looming for the near future. Recipe for attendance disaster.

God help us if next year doesn't get better.

Reaction Score
I tried to sign up for the free access to read online, but I got to window that says "Account Info" and no other instructions. So duck it. No business from me Hartford rag.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I tried to sign up for the free access to read online, but I got to window that says "Account Info" and no other instructions. So duck it. No business from me Hartford rag.

I used to love the Courant online, looking past their obvious biases to get free local news. Now this? Screw them. I don't need to read Jacobs.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Forgive me if I lapse into Pudge mode here a bit, but the GOAL was never to be ALABAMA... or OHIO STATE... In the Big East, the goal wass to have a PROGRAM that rubs shoulders with your Iowas, your UVAs, not a perrenial Top Ten perhaps but a top 40... Edsall had us on an approach trajectory until, perhaps, his last couple of seasons when clashing with Hathaway (Damn you, Hathaway!!!) the trajectory plateaued and was about to take a dive. AFter FHCRE took the midnight plane to College Park, PPGDL took the yoke and put the whole thing in a tail spin. Can we get out of that tail spin and start gaining altitude again?

When the squad has experience and some depth built up, maybe we can. Will it be too late? It might be - if it takes 4 years, and I don't think Jacobs is wrong to point this out. What is a little bit wrong, is using the occasion of the national championship "Blue Bloods" to make the point, as if that level of football is the goal and anything less than it is a DEATH SENTENCE. We don't need to climb that peak (ooops, switching metaphors). We have to get to something where most non-CT folk can at least say the program is resuscitated and respectable.

Reaction Score
Forgive me if I lapse into Pudge mode here a bit, but the GOAL was never to be ALABAMA... or OHIO STATE... In the Big East, the goal wass to have a PROGRAM that rubs shoulders with your Iowas, your UVAs, not a perrenial Top Ten perhaps but a top 40... Edsall had us on an approach trajectory until, perhaps, his last couple of seasons when clashing with Hathaway (Damn you, Hathaway!!!) the trajectory plateaued and was about to take a dive. AFter FHCRE took the midnight plane to College Park, PPGDL took the yoke and put the whole thing in a tail spin. Can we get out of that tail spin and start gaining altitude again?

When the squad has experience and some depth built up, maybe we can. Will it be too late? It might be - if it takes 4 years, and I don't think Jacobs is wrong to point this out. What is a little bit wrong, is using the occasion of the national championship "Blue Bloods" to make the point, as if that level of football is the goal and anything less than it is a DEATH SENTENCE. We don't need to climb that peak (ooops, switching metaphors). We have to get to something where most non-CT folk can at least say the program is resuscitated and respectable.
More than anything the games need to be fun. Sitting in the stands this past season, for the first time ever, felt like I was fulfilling an obligation. The team was bad okay, but it was a chore to watch such an unimaginative and hapless product. Even the first two P years weren't nearly as bad to sit through. Everyone at UConn needs to get on the same page, and make the games fun again. They're fun when you feel you have a chance to win. That was gone last year.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Look on the bright side...UConn is ranked better than 4 teams..it could be worse...now that's an UGH!!
Unfortunately that seems hard to believe the team that came to our stadium and won can be worse than us...

So I would say 3 - but I think Tulsa would have beat us as well...

Reaction Score
Worst mistake Warde ever made was giving Pasqualoni a third year. A mistake he acknowledged when he canned him after 4 games. It basically postponed any improvement for at least a year.

The program took 10+ years to get competitive and that buildup was squandered in less than 3. Nobody wants to spend the big money on top coaches. But they are quick to sign up for less costly options that cost more in the long run as the program declines.

UConn Football will always have to work harder to attract talent. The only way you can counter that is by hiring the best coaches that we can possibly afford. I don't think we have done that.

And I will say it again until I turn blue in the face. Hiring unproven and less expensive coaches will cost us more in the long run.

What few fans that remain can only handle stomping out of the Rent after bad losses for so long.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Worst mistake Warde ever made was giving Pasqualoni a third year. A mistake he acknowledged when he canned him after 4 games. It basically postponed any improvement for at least a year.

The program took 10+ years to get competitive and that buildup was squandered in less than 3. Nobody wants to spend the big money on top coaches. But they are quick to sign up for less costly options that cost more in the long run as the program declines.

UConn Football will always have to work harder to attract talent. The only way you can counter that is by hiring the best coaches that we can possibly afford. I don't think we have done that.

And I will say it again until I turn blue in the face. Hiring unproven and less expensive coaches will cost us more in the long run.

What few fans that remain can only handle stomping out of the Rent after bad losses for so long.

A better solution than buying dial up modems in 2015 which would be about equal to trying to build a top flight athletic department without a football program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom