OSU or Bama? | The Boneyard

OSU or Bama?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know OSU's loss was worse than Bama's (although OSU lost on the road and Bama at home).

But OSU has a 5-2 edge over Alabama in wins against the current Top 25 and a 7-3 edge in wins over bowl-bound teams. Think should speak to the weakness of Alabama's overall schedule (even if it did play LSU and Arkansas, which were better than any team OSU played, Bama had them both at home and split).

Reaction Score
I guess the problem is, we won't know unless we put in OSU.

In 2006, everyone thought the second best team was Michigan, and that they were much better than Florida. Then Florida destroyed OSU.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
I was thinking definitely Bama until last night and then someone pointed out the ISU loss was the same day of the plane crash so the players heads weren't 100% in the game. Give OSU the shot.

Reaction Score
I know OSU's loss was worse than Bama's (although OSU lost on the road and Bama at home).

But OSU has a 5-2 edge over Alabama in wins against the current Top 25 and a 7-3 edge in wins over bowl-bound teams. Think should speak to the weakness of Alabama's overall schedule (even if it did play LSU and Arkansas, which were better than any team OSU played, Bama had them both at home and split).

Alabama may be 2nd best but they lost to the best at home. Ok St lost a day after some of their school officials were killed in a plane crash and I believe this was a factor. They hammered a pretty damn good football team yesterday and proved to deserve a shot at LSU.

OSU

Reaction Score

Are you sure about those numbers? I count Bama as having 5 wins over bowl-eligible teams, with OSU having 8. Assuming Texas falls out of the rankings this week, wouldn't Okie St have 3 wins against the current top 25, with Bama having 2 wins?

Reaction Score
8 teams and play'em down

This stuff drives me crazy. Until they get on the field and play you just do not know. It's the pompous asses of the world like the former PSU President that preserve this antique to protect their turf. Has nothing to do with fair competition and everything to do preserving power and advantage where it already exists.

If it's Bama I might watch if I have nothing better to do.

Reaction Score
I was thinking definitely Bama until last night and then someone pointed out the ISU loss was the same day of the plane crash so the players heads weren't 100% in the game. Give OSU the shot.
Eh, that's just not a very good argument.

LSU is the best team in the country by a pretty wide margin, and Alabama is the only team they didn't get the **** kicked out of by them. Oklahoma State's loss isn't just worse...it's about a thousand times as bad.

Has to be Bama-LSU for the ship.

Reaction Score
Want Ok St, but it will be bama. bama may be better but tired of the Sec hype when league is very avg besides the 2-3 elite teams, which are basically same every yet except a year when a team buys a player (I.e., Auburn last year).

Just a +1 works 99% of time. This year would be LSU vs. Oregon, Bama vs. OK St. Play e
2 semi games in 4 BCS and rotate annually and then use the current BCS game for final.

Other argument is play quarterfinal games week before Christmas at top 4 seed sites and then do the above if u want 8 team playoff and not 4.

8 teams and play'em down

This stuff drives me crazy. Until they get on the field and play you just do not know. It's the pompous asses of the world like the former PSU President that preserve this antique to protect their turf. Has nothing to do with fair competition and everything to do preserving power and advantage where it already exists.

If it's Bama I might watch if I have nothing better to do.

Reaction Score
Alabama may be 2nd best but they lost to the best at home. Ok St lost a day after some of their school officials were killed in a plane crash and I believe this was a factor. They hammered a pretty damn good football team yesterday and proved to deserve a shot at LSU.

OSU
Not to take anything away from OSU, but Bama outplayed LSU in that game. LSU was lucky to have won that game. This crap happens every year, gotta have a 16 team playoff, it's the only way to settle things. Also think both Wisconsin and MichSt are much better than their rankings and BCS points indicate.

Reaction Score
Eh, that's just not a very good argument.

LSU is the best team in the country by a pretty wide margin, and Alabama is the only team they didn't get the **** kicked out of by them. Oklahoma State's loss isn't just worse...it's about a thousand times as bad.

Has to be Bama-LSU for the ship.

The problem with the system is that we just don't know. These are all the same arguments for a OSU-Michigan rematch in 2006. OSU killed everyone except Michigan. And then they played Florida and lost.

Alabama had a chance, and lost on their home field. Sorry. They should be out. If there was a tournament, they could be in. In that case, if Alabama and LSU had a rematch for the title, I would be excited. But given the scenario, there should be no way two teams from the same conference should play each other for the BCS (especially since they already played each other).

Reaction Score
Are you sure about those numbers? I count Bama as having 5 wins over bowl-eligible teams, with OSU having 8. Assuming Texas falls out of the rankings this week, wouldn't Okie St have 3 wins against the current top 25, with Bama having 2 wins?
Am I sure about those numbers? No. Those are the numbers OSU released in an effort to pursuade the voters and I lazily assumed they wouldn't misrepresent things (you know, because they're not biased or anything).

Probably should have checked them.

Still. Alabama beat Penn State and Arkansas. No one else impressive. They gave LSU a game.

OSU beat KState, Baylor, and OU.

Reaction Score
The Big 12 is soo overrated. They have 1 win over Top 25 teams out of conference (Baylor beating TCU). 1 that is it.

Ok States top 25 wins are against inflated Big 12 teams, Texas? A&M? K State? Give me a break. Those teams are not sniffing 7 wins in the SEC.

Are there even 10 defensive players in the entire Big 12 who will be drafted? There is about 18 that will be drafted between Bama and LSU alone.

The system sucks, but if you want the two best teams its Bama and LSU.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It should be OSU, ainec. The end goal is to find the best team, not the best two teams. We know bama isn't the best team because LSU is better, they proved it on the field and won the conference title. The SEC says LSU is better. Could bama beat LSU in the BCS? Of course they could, so could OSU, Oregon, Stanford, Wisconsin, and a host of other teams. With the unbalance scheduling, a 13 game sample, and 120 FBS teams, it is a logical error to put bama in there. Let's find out something we don't know. The best 1-loss conference champ is OSU.

To put bama in the game, shows the BCS is just a popularity contest and has nothing to do with the body of work achieved on the field. OSU has more top wins and a tougher schedule. There were FOUR SEC team with 1 or fewer regular season conference losses and they mostly all lost to each other. That tells me that the other 8 teams aren't that good that one of them could have pulled an upset. LSU and Bama are legit teams, but only one should play for the title.

Reaction Score

+1

Exactly my sentiments all along. The vast majority of those players are probaly not confortable with flying let alone to have their mortality take a hit on the same day of the ISU game.

By nature, I'm certain players, coaches and related staff members were more concerened about the flight back to Stillwater that night than playing the Cyclones. And in spite of the tragedy they put up a gallant effort and lost in overtime.

If bama was playing at tennessee in a similar tragic situation, I'm inclined to believe they would suffer the same results.

In fact, I remember the first weekend of games played after 9/11 included Auburn at 'Cuse. Cuse won the game handedly and after the game, Tubberville and players alike said the anxiety of air travel affected the outcome of game more than turnovers, missed assignments and Syracuse did.

OSU can't openly cite the crash as a compelling reason for the lost, but it shouldn't have to. But a fair and just cadre of coaches with no regionalism agenda should have the moral fiber to to the right thing on their behalf.

Let's Go Pokes!!

Reaction Score
I would buy the crash excuse a little better if they came out flat but they blew a 17 point 2nd half lead.

Reaction Score
If I had a vote, it would be OSU voted #2 and Bama #3. If it's close between what the #s 2 and 3 accomplished (and I lean to OSU anyway), for me the fact that one of them already lost to #1, at home, makes it an easier call to me.

On a related note, if I had a vote I'd be voting Cincy ahead of WVU to send them to the Orange. Cincy has the better OOC win (NC State versus who -- Maryland?), and while they tied in conference that only happened because Cincy lost its QB.

Reaction Score
If I had a vote, it would be OSU voted #2 and Bama #3. If it's close between what the #s 2 and 3 accomplished (and I lean to OSU anyway), for me the fact that one of them already lost to #1, at home, makes it an easier call to me.

On a related note, if I had a vote I'd be voting Cincy ahead of WVU to send them to the Orange. Cincy has the better OOC win (NC State versus who -- Maryland?), and while they tied in conference that only happened because Cincy lost its QB.

Can you really blame WVU that the Terps got Edsalled™?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom