OSU or Bama? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OSU or Bama?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I would buy the crash excuse a little better if they came out flat but they blew a 17 point 2nd half lead.
Show me a quality win from Alabama. Don't try the ridiculously overrated Arkansas or 5th place Penn State.

Reaction Score
Show me a quality win from Alabama. Don't try the ridiculously overrated Arkansas or 5th place Penn State.
While I agree with you that it should be OSU, it does seem not seem fair to discount, out of hand, Arkansas or Penn State.

Arkansas is a fine win (if overrated--South Carolina being their only worthwhile win).

Penn State could have been a better win if not for the Paterno incident.

Reaction Score
Bama has three wins over teams with a winning record, OSU has 7. The "but we're from the SEC" argument holds no weight here. Too bad it won't matter. ESPN/BCS have spoken.

Reaction Score
Bama has three wins over teams with a winning record, OSU has 7. The "but we're from the SEC" argument holds no weight here. Too bad it won't matter. ESPN/BCS have spoken.
The Harris poll has yet to come out, right?

Alabama stayed ahead in both the Coaches and AP. But in the AP (ESPN didn't have the points for the coaches available), OSU gained significantly. VTech losing helped them a lot.

If they jump them in the Harris (a big if) we may get a title game I will watch. Otherwise we'll have one of the biggest shams (and I'll stand by that even if Alabama beats LSU).

Reaction Score
The Harris poll has yet to come out, right?

Alabama stayed ahead in both the Coaches and AP. But in the AP (ESPN didn't have the points for the coaches available), OSU gained significantly. VTech losing helped them a lot.

If they jump them in the Harris (a big if) we may get a title game I will watch. Otherwise we'll have one of the biggest shams (and I'll stand by that even if Alabama beats LSU).
multiple reliable twitter sources are saying it's a done deal.

Reaction Score
Sorry, I was wrong.

Total Points in the Coaches Poll:

Last Week: Alabama, 1411; OSU, 1245
This Week: Alabama 1399; OSU, 1367

If a similar surge goes on in the Harris Poll, they may jump over UA, and I may watch.

Reaction Score
Well, if that is the case, I hope it is a ratings disaster. I will have no interest in it (but I'm a casual fan of college football only).
Whether it is or isn't, ESPN will tell you it's the biggest thing that ever happened.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I want OSU. I want the team that lost to a team that UConn would have beat if HCRE was still the coach (according to many Boneyard experts.)

Reaction Score
Well, ESPN and the SEC got what they wanted. A re-match.

Boring. I won't be tuning in this year. It's just another example of why the BCS is BS.

I hope that the BXII now gets on board with a tournament. They just got screwed.

Reaction Score

Boring. I won't be tuning in this year. It's just another example of why the BCS is BS.

I hope that the BXII now gets on board with a tournament. They just got screwed.
I'm sure they're crushed.

This was such an easy decision - the B12 didn't get screwed one bit.

Reaction Score
I'm sure they're crushed.

This was such an easy decision - the B12 didn't get screwed one bit.
Yes. When you play two teams worth a damn (and even Arkansas only beat 1 team--SC), and lose to the #1 team on your home field, you deserve a re-match.

Alabama may be the second best team (hell, they may be the best). But they played LSU and lost. We can compare stats and all that with Alabama and OSU, but the fact remains that you don't know.

If you can't win your conference or win at home, you shouldn't be playing in the national championship game.

This SEC love has gotten out of control.

Reaction Score
That was such a stupid decision. 70% of the public, including LSU fans, wanted OSU. If Oklahoma State destroys Stanford, Oklahoma State will probably make mythological championship rings. Some organization might reward Oklahoma State a share of title at least, too. Auburn made mythological championship rings in 2004. But they don't look so mythological anymore since USC had to vacate their title that year. I think I'd rather watch the Fiesta Bowl. Heck with the SEC Bowl.

Reaction Score
If you can't win your conference or win at home, you shouldn't be playing in the national championship game.
Exactly. Iowa State had a good year, even at 6-6. It's a shame people don't percieve Iowa State as having a good year.

Reaction Score
That was such a stupid decision. 70% of the public, including LSU fans, wanted OSU. If Oklahoma State destroys Stanford, Oklahoma State will probably make mythological championship rings. Some organization might reward Oklahoma State a share of title at least, too. Auburn made mythological championship rings in 2004. But they don't look so mythological anymore since USC had to vacate their title that year. I think I'd rather watch the Fiesta Bowl. Heck with the SEC Bowl.
I think you're right. But the point stands even if they lose to Stanford.

Reaction Score
Fluke plays can happen in tourneys, too.

Of course. That wasn't my point. In a tourney, the best team doesn't always win. Was Seattle better than New Orleans last year? For 60 minutes they were, but not over the body of work. But nobody argues that the Packers didn't win the title. And at least in a tourney, the fluke plays happen "in" the tourney, not weeks earlier under possibly irrelevant circumstances.

I'm not saying that the system should be scrapped, it should just be more honest about what it is: a 1 game playoff in which the participants are selected by reasonable methods that are prone to errors and the judgement of imperfect and possibly biased human beings.

Reaction Score
Further, the reason that I don't like the matchup now is that the LSU fans can STILL say that they beat Bama at home if they lose at a "neutral" site...so the game proves nothing.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score

The Longhorn Network screwed them. I know UT fans give a grand total of zero F&cks, but a conference championship game probably would have gotten OSU in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom