Oscars | The Boneyard

Oscars

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Nominations are out:

https://oscar.go.com/nominees

I haven't seen The Favourite, If Beale Street Could Talk, The Wife, At Eternity's Gate or Bohemian Rhapsody, but I have seen most of the others nominated in the top categories. Really disappointed in the nominations for Best Documentary. Of those nominated I've only seen RBG, and although I enjoyed it, I thought both Three Identical Strangers and Won't You Be My Neighbor? were better.

Here are my calls for the top awards:

Best Picture: Green Book
Best Actor in a Leading Role: Christian Bale, Vice
Best Actress in a Leading Role: Yalitza Aparico, Roma
Best Actor in a Supporting Role: Richard E. Grant, Can You Ever Forgive Me?
Best Actress in a Supporting Role: Amy Adams, Vice

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Black Panther nominated for best picture. Really?

Disappointed that Leave No Trace got nothing. Probably the best movie I saw this year.

Reaction Score
And here I was half-dreading the multiple post Oscar Nom thread that I was going to do, like last years. Thank you for saving me from that 8.

I haven’t had time to see many of the nominees this year, I generally get to them late and we also welcomed our 2nd into the world this year, but at first blush I’m pretty underwhelmed by the noms.

Reaction Score
Black Panther nominated for best picture. Really?

Disappointed that Leave No Trace got nothing. Probably the best movie I saw this year.

I haven't seen it, but Leave No Trace got great reviews. Thing is, movies that come out before Autumn and don't do big box office or big notice often get forgotten come Oscar time.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I saw probably about half of last year's noms for best picture and was underwhelmed by almost all of them. This year I'm not even really tempted by most of the Oscar bait. I do want to see Green Book. I saw Black Panther but would not have expected it to be nominated at the time. To me Avengers: Infinity War was a much better film, but doesn't carry as much cultural significance as BP.

edited--I'll check out A Star is Born also.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
As I’ve posted elsewhere, I thought Three Identical Strangers was the best movie I saw in 2018, and that wasn’t even nominated for Best Documentary. Of the non-documentaries I saw, I think I liked Green Book the best. I liked most of the movies I saw, including the ones that are Oscar-nominated, but nothing blew me away. I was also surprised to see Black Panther nominated, but I think BlacKkKlansman is at least as deserving as the others I’ve seen. There were plenty of great individual performances in lots of the movies. The lead actress in Roma is probably the most deserving of the ones I’ve seen.

I still need to see Bohemian Rhapsody and If Beale Street Could Talk.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Roma's director Alfonso Cuaron also directed an incredible movie a decade ago called Children of Men. I bring it up now because I just noticed it's leaving Netflix at the end of the month.

Reaction Score
I really want to see Roma.

The only reason Black Panther is nominated for best picture is the pull Disney has and race. It might have been an important movie but it’s not a great movie at all.

Reaction Score
Nominations are out:

https://oscar.go.com/nominees

I haven't seen The Favourite, If Beale Street Could Talk, The Wife, At Eternity's Gate or Bohemian Rhapsody, but I have seen most of the others nominated in the top categories. Really disappointed in the nominations for Best Documentary. Of those nominated I've only seen RBG, and although I enjoyed it, I thought both Three Identical Strangers and Won't You Be My Neighbor? were better.

Here are my calls for the top awards:

Best Picture: Green Book
Best Actor in a Leading Role: Christian Bale, Vice
Best Actress in a Leading Role: Yalitza Aparico, Roma
Best Actor in a Supporting Role: Richard E. Grant, Can You Ever Forgive Me?
Best Actress in a Supporting Role: Amy Adams, Vice

Was Vice any good?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Was Vice any good?
It's worth watching for the acting performances alone; Bale, obviously, but also Adams, Rockwell and Carell are all excellent. I think you will enjoy it, but likely be annoyed at the heavy-handed technique and obvious political leaning.

Reaction Score
It's worth watching for the acting performances alone; Bale, obviously, but also Adams, Rockwell and Carell are all excellent. I think you will enjoy it, but likely be annoyed at the heavy-handed technique and obvious political leaning.

Cheney is a hero. But I still want to see it.

Reaction Score
I really want to see Roma.

The only reason Black Panther is nominated for best picture is the pull Disney has and race. It might have been an important movie but it’s not a great movie at all.

The world is slowly becoming an Onion parody. A super hero movie gets an Oscar nom ? Come on.

I saw it. Sure, it's a quality action movie, but absolutely nothing about it justifies an Oscar nomination.

Reaction Score
Didn’t even realize they were on tonight until my wife wanted to watch the red carpet stuff. Why on earth is that interesting?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Didn’t even realize they were on tonight until my wife wanted to watch the red carpet stuff. Why on earth is that interesting?
Mrs. 8893 is obsessed with it and the awards shows in general. I love making parody of it. Like when they showed the guy in the tuxedo gown a few minutes ago and she asked who that was, I said Jussie Smollett. I did get a good laugh out of her for that one.

Reaction Score
I can’t wait until Vice gets its rock concert intro.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
TV has blown by movies as the medium for thoughtful entertainment for adults.

Reaction Score
The world is slowly becoming an Onion parody. A super hero movie gets an Oscar nom ? Come on.

I saw it. Sure, it's a quality action movie, but absolutely nothing about it justifies an Oscar nomination.
You know, the really hysterical part is, someone would probably try and tell me how Black Panther really deserved the Oscars it won - Costumes, sound, and score.

Yeah, ok. And of the previous 20 Marvel Cinematic Universe movies, THIS one they finally decided - what ? - they'd get it right and hire quality people to do the sound, the costumes, and the score ?

Laughably stupid.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
TV has blown by movies as the medium for thoughtful entertainment for adults.

You nailed it. The last 3-4 years of garbage they have ‘honored’ at the Oscars has made clear how much better ‘television’ is.

I mean a mute and fish man? Total garbage.

Reaction Score

I think more than half of the idiots in that room think that Wakanda is a real place.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom