OT: Orlando Vacation Questions | The Boneyard

OT: Orlando Vacation Questions

Reaction Score
Sorry for asking, but wife and I are headed down to Orlando for a week this Friday. Nothing special just a time share exchange getaway. I haven't been down there in over 10 years and I don't recall us going down without our kids.

Been down there about a dozen times, but its easier to plan activities with kids. Been to all the theme parks.

I'm okay with a lazy week just chillin and spontaneous movements. Was thinking about getting Magic tix but I don't recognize any of the players and they play Portland without Shabazz. May play golf if courses rent clubs.

I'll even do something adventurous for adrenaline boost. Willing to drive to get someplace worth going to, hell I'm renting a Jag because rentals are cheap there. My wife always says she just wants to relax, but that statement only lasts 1-2 days until she's bored and bugging me to do something.

Any suggestions on something worthwhile to see?

Weird question for someone who's been there so many times, but what the hell do grown folks do on vacation in Orlando?

Last edited:

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I am going to Orlando this year with my grad school reunion buddies. We normally go to Sanibel except for my year to organize when they all wanted Vegas. We are staying in a new Encore resort and right now looking at 't three days of golf at Championsgate which some of the guys have played and liked it. I don't know you or your likes and dislikes but there are plenty of adults from honeymooners to seniors who look at Disney as a popular destination this time of year since kids are in school!

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Sorry for asking, but wife and I are headed down to Orlando for a week this Friday. Nothing special just a time share exchange getaway. I haven't been down there in over 10 years and I don't recall us going down without our kids.

Been down there about a dozen times, but its easier to plan activities with kids. Been to all the theme parks.

I'm okay with a lazy week just chillin and spontaneous movements. Was thinking about getting Magic tix but I don't recognize any of the players and they play Portland without Shabazz. May play golf if courses rent clubs.

I'll even do something adventurous for adrenaline boost. Willing to drive to get someplace worth going to, hell I'm renting a Jag because rentals are cheap there. My wife always says she just wants to relax, but that statement only lasts 1-2 days until she's bored and bugging me to do something.

Any suggestions on something worthwhile to see?

Weird question for someone who's been there so many times, but what the hell do grown folks do on vacation n Orlando?
Kennedy Space Center is about an hour away and IMO very cool. If you like wildlife (especially birds), there are a bunch of sanctuaries in that area. There is really good fishing on that coast as well - banana river area. Don't forget to get Gator & Grits for dinner.

Reaction Score
Go to trip advisor. Orlando only exists for vacations and conventions. Drive to Tampa.
I always check Trip Advisor but I get better suggestions here whenever and wherever I travel and do stuff. Like minds perhaps?

After I posted I was looking into Bucs tix for Browns game Sunday. My wife doesn't know a field goal from a kickoff, but I love the game. Best tix about 250 each (wasted tix for my wife), or $90 each nose bleed.

If not the game then I was thinking the zoo on a weekday. May spend the night in Tampa if I see there's stuff we like to do. Been all around Florida but never been to Tampa.

Reaction Score
Kennedy Space Center is about an hour away and IMO very cool. If you like wildlife (especially birds), there are a bunch of sanctuaries in that area. There is really good fishing on that coast as well - banana river area. Don't forget to get Gator & Grits for dinner.
Kennedy Center looks great, we may see First Man before and then visit the next day or so.

Reaction Score
Airboat the Everglades around Vero Beach area a little west.
Look for a condo to buy for wintering in your retirement years.
Agree on space center.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Kennedy Center looks great, we may see First Man before and then visit the next day or so.

If you go to the Kennedy Space Center, make sure you also see the Saturn V museum. It’s part of the Kennedy Space Center complex, but it’s in a separate building a mile or two from where all the other museums are bunched together.

The Saturn V is just unbelievable — totally awe inspiring and worth the extra stop.

Reaction Score
Discovery Cove is cool and very non kid friendly. Do a dolphin swim.

Go to EPCOT and drink around the world.

Disney Springs is revamped (was Downtown Disney), has tons of new stuff.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Ill be at LegoLand. Maybe trade some minifigs?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I highly recommend Discovery Cove.

I’m pretty sure you need to make reservations in advance as they only sell so many tickets per day.

There are zero crowds. It’s great. Very relaxing.

Get the resort ticket with the dolphin swim. If you want, add the drink package and a cabana. It won’t be cheap, but I promise you’ll have a great time.

I’ll also endorse a trip to the Space Center. Depending on the day, you can hit Port Canaveral on the way home, have dinner and drinks at Fish Lips and watch the cruise ships leave.

Also....not sure if you’ve heard of it, but Disney has a couple of parks down there. No sense avoiding it - go to Epcot and Animal Kingdom and if you’re brave enough, the Magic Kingdom. When in Rome...

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Pretty sure the thing to do when in Florida is smoke meth—that’s a pro tip you won’t find on Trip Advisor. Turn yourself into Florida Man for the week.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I always check Trip Advisor but I get better suggestions here whenever and wherever I travel and do stuff. Like minds perhaps?

After I posted I was looking into Bucs tix for Browns game Sunday. My wife doesn't know a field goal from a kickoff, but I love the game. Best tix about 250 each (wasted tix for my wife), or $90 each nose bleed.

If not the game then I was thinking the zoo on a weekday. May spend the night in Tampa if I see there's stuff we like to do. Been all around Florida but never been to Tampa.
I live in Clearwater and Tampa is happening but I spend little time there. If you like hockey if the Bolts are at Amelie Arena that would be a better bet than the Bucs. Great hockey town! If you do go see the Bucs make sure you sit facing away from the sun. St. Pete is fun. We go Saturday mornings a lot for the Farmer's Market, lunch, check out Dali Museum, Chihuly Museum then finish with Gin and Tonics on the Vinoy Hotel front porch.

Reaction Score
If you make the trip to Tampa, Bern's Steak House is worth a visit. Also Streamsong golf resort is about an hour and a half from Orlando and has stunning courses/resort.

Reaction Score
Just moved to Lakeland in April. I’ll second what a lot of the others have said, Kennedy is pretty cool, the bolts are always a good time. If you want to get out of the touristy-Orlando area, Tampa/Clearwater/St. Pete are always a good time and not TOO far away. I think there is actually a launch this weekend, idk if you can see it from the city, but if you get into the countryside a little bit you may be able to see from a far.
Disney Springs is pretty cool, you just pay Disney tax on food/beverages. Parking is free though and there isn’t any admission costs. Really good wine & tapas spot there.
If you have more specific interests/things you’re looking for PM & i’ll Try my best to point you in the direction of some things.

Reaction Score
I highly recommend Discovery Cove.

I’m pretty sure you need to make reservations in advance as they only sell so many tickets per day.

There are zero crowds. It’s great. Very relaxing.

Get the resort ticket with the dolphin swim. If you want, add the drink package and a cabana. It won’t be cheap, but I promise you’ll have a great time.

I’ll also endorse a trip to the Space Center. Depending on the day, you can hit Port Canaveral on the way home, have dinner and drinks at Fish Lips and watch the cruise ships leave.

Also....not sure if you’ve heard of it, but Disney has a couple of parks down there. No sense avoiding it - go to Epcot and Animal Kingdom and if you’re brave enough, the Magic Kingdom. When in Rome...
I second the Discovery Cove recommendation but with kids not without. The snorkeling is great for young kids, two different varieties and lots of fish to see. The Dolphin experience definitely cool as well, animals are expertly trained and they put on a nice meet and greet. Something about 'all you can eat' really appealed to the kids, they were running around hoarding rice krispy bars at the end of the day & thought it was the greatest thing since Halloween.

Reaction Score
I was at the cigar bar today and while smoking with a stranger he said he was in Orlando last year (before I even told him my plans starting tomorrow) and he raved about Epcot's F&W Festival he and his wife went to last year. I told him I was leaving tomorrow and like you he strongly recommended it. Thanks to @huskyniner its on the agenda.

He also said he and his wife went alone for the first time and they did the full Disney thing (rides, park exhibits, etc.) for 7 days, affirming @Fishy suggestion.

My wife said she was interested in going to the Kennedy Space Center while we are down there. Again before I told her about everyone's excellent suggestions here, which by the way has changed my attitude and perception. Before this thread, I was really acting like this was just another Orlando trip. You guys work Husky magic in non basketball ways, speaking of which I just remembered to pack my Husky shirt.

The trip apparently has an element of destiny and we're only going to Florida for about the 20th time! I'm now excited and feeling young again. LOL

Reaction Score
Lots of good options. Food and Wine would be a must, especially without the kids. Discovery Cove would be great as well. You mentioned doing something for the adrenaline boost. I would recommend Forever Florida. I did the zip line adventure and it was awesome. They also have other options like horseback riding and trail riding. Enjoy your time whatever you decide.

Reaction Score
If you make the trip to Tampa, Bern's Steak House is worth a visit. Also Streamsong golf resort is about an hour and a half from Orlando and has stunning courses/resort.

Our neighbors went to Bern's a few weeks ago....weren't overly impressed....just an FYI

Also, St. Pete has a great stretch of restaurants & bars along the water

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom