Orlando Sentinel: Gators AD Scott Stricklin: Canceling football ‘would shake financial foundation of college athletics’ | The Boneyard

Orlando Sentinel: Gators AD Scott Stricklin: Canceling football ‘would shake financial foundation of college athletics’

Reaction Score
>>True leaders hope for the best but prepare for the worst, and right now athletics directors like the University of Florida’s Scott Stricklin and UCF’s Danny White are at least contemplating how their programs could endure the financial calamity if somehow the 2020 college football season is canceled.

“For right now, it’s all manageable,” Stricklin says of the coronavirus pandemic that has shut down sports, “but the question your mind goes to really quickly is if this lasts into another school year. From a financial standpoint, if we’re not playing football games in the fall, it will shake the foundation of college athletics. As everyone knows, football pays for the enterprise to go forward.”<<

>>...Believe it or not, right now college athletic departments are actually saving money with non-revenue sports baseball, softball, golf and tennis shutting down. However, that would quickly shift if this shutdown affected football.

“That would be a game-changer,” says Stricklin, who estimates that football accounts for about 85% of UF’s sports income. “… It’s not just ticket revenue; it’s the donations that go along with that. It’s the sponsorship money that goes along with the idea that games are going to be played. And then there’s the TV money. If there aren’t games that are being broadcast, we probably aren’t going to get TV money.”<<

>>So let’s do what must be done:

Let’s navigate these dire straits, stay home and beat the living hell out of this virus so we can get back to where we belong.

Back to the cheers and the beers and the music-to-our-ears in stadiums, arenas and ballparks across the nation.

As we’re starting to see now during this medical and financial crisis, our sports teams need us as much as we need them.<<

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
If it takes monetary greed to get people to stay inside or self isolate in their yards/take walks and such, then I'm all for it. Whatever is going to end all of this garbage quicker is fine by me. We all need to be aware and respect what we need to do. The sooner we do that, the quicker this starts to slow down.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Personally, I think by the Fall and start of the next academic season this virus will have calmed down enough for people to gather and games to be played.
The problem I see is the health of the players, especially in college. The summer conditioning, weight lifting, medical monitoring of the players by the schools and then the fall camps in Jul/Aug will have to be delayed, cancelled or truncated and I don't think it's a stretch to say it will cause injuries. Even more worried about HS football for the same reasons.
Pros have better access to one on one training, private doctors, a union, etc to protect them from complete exploitation but college kids are at the mercy of the schools, conferences and NCAA.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
This just in - B10 redirects the collective research power of their conference members towards saving football and by that, they mean- fixing the COVid19 crisis. Expect a cure by June given the stakes for football.;)

To accelerate research into a cure, and solidify their conference in the COVID-19 era, the B1G is inviting the University of Connecticut to join in all sports.

Reaction Score
Canceling football ‘would shake financial foundation of college athletics’? Good

Ding, ding, ding... you get the coveted Golden Husky.

F861CC94-4925-42C0-83A2-513D2FF65859.jpeg

Reaction Score
Personally, I think by the Fall and start of the next academic season this virus will have calmed down enough for people to gather and games to be played.
The problem I see is the health of the players, especially in college. The summer conditioning, weight lifting, medical monitoring of the players by the schools and then the fall camps in Jul/Aug will have to be delayed, cancelled or truncated and I don't think it's a stretch to say it will cause injuries. Even more worried about HS football for the same reasons.
Pros have better access to one on one training, private doctors, a union, etc to protect them from complete exploitation but college kids are at the mercy of the schools, conferences and NCAA.

There's some indication the outbreak in the state of Washington may be flattening and, since they were the initial area hit because of all the Chinese travel and business there, that may offer a clue as to how long it takes for mass infections to run their course. Let us pray.

Reaction Score
Canceling football ‘would shake financial foundation of college athletics’? Good
indeed. might re-level the playing field. We've been eating overhead forever.

Reaction Score
Boneyard Commentary: Cancelling our society will shake the financial foundation of our society

Put another way

"Sincerely Self-Important Random College AD

Pipe down, you are so low on the priority list that you literally do not exist to us. I know you are used to feeling like a big shot in a normal world, but Sports, Football, College athletics are such a non-factor right now that for all we care you could be shot to the moon and no one would know otherwise.

In short, go away. Once we save everyone's lives, then maybe you can re-take your perch of primary non-necessary entertainment for the stupidest people in our country.

But not until everyone is saved first.

Best,

America"

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I am all in for seeing the fall of college football in the fall. Where do I signup?
FIFY

Agree though, if it causes a reduction of media revenue of the P-5, I won't be crying over that.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I want college football, period. I don't like the set up and how UConn got screwed by the ACC, ESPN and the old Big East.

You can't cut off your nose to spite your face

Reaction Score

In my opinion this is the right move. It’s responsible for ADs to look into. I think it’s a possibility for sure.This would be a big blow for UConn football amid financial issues.

Reaction Score
With America's cavalier approach to covid and rapid spread, I think we're above 50/50 chance that the above becomes the right choice

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Yes and I don’t even need to read the story. The apex is behind us for this sport. It’s not dying - but it’s not growing - particularly in the revenue side. Revenue growth has to be plateauing.

Reaction Score
The coronavirus crisis may accelerate the superconference theory many have predicted, especially in football. AFC/NFC style conferences made up of the top 5-6 from the current P5. No reason Rutgers, BC, Wake, Vandy, Cuse deserve to make the same as Ohio State, Bama, Clemson, Texas, USC, etc.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom