Oregon/Stanford Game | The Boneyard

Oregon/Stanford Game

Reaction Score
Williams shot poorly and Bielbi was negated by Oregon's size in the middle. Lexie Hull didn't do much. When you play tough defense you can slow down most teams. UCLA stayed close with its defense. There is no dominant team this year anyone of 8 teams could win it as of now.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Lexie Hull didn't do much.
Yes, it's difficult to do much when you're sitting out the game due to covid protocols. Given that our team was down three players due to covid, hasn't had a home game or home practice since Thanksgiving, and is playing "home" games on the road, I'll take the win. Survive and advance.

Reaction Score
I don't think Stanford missing their players was as impactful as Oregon missing Prince. Of course we don't know when or if ever she will return this season. Actually sometimes we cannot tell what an impact a missing player would have had. Often their replacement ends up doing a better job than they would have. In the case of Oregon it would have been to their advantage if Mikesell had been missing this game. It is not really about how many players are missing but if they play critical positions that the team can not replace. Both Stanford and Oregon have enough depth that they usually have players who can step in with little loss. In the Case of Oregon Prince's loss is felt if Sabally has a subpar game and she has had two in a row.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Does anyone know for sure if all the PAC12 games are posted on YouTube after the games are played. I was just able to watch the Stanford/Oregon game and the UCLA/Oregon game that was played late in Dec.

Reaction Score
I watched the Stanford-Oregon game. Second Stanford game I’ve seen. I thought I try to make a projection of how we match up with them.

They are a good team with potential to be very good once their bigs settle in a bit more and gel. They have a terrific amount of talent with their bigs with Jones, Belibi, Brink and Prechtel. I think they will get even better here as the season continues. They may be capable of taking over games offensively with their great length, mid-range and of course the skills of Belibi and Jones. Defensively, they have good length and can bother a lot of shots, but they can be a step slow and naïve in playing with their eyes/feet. Length = more rebounds and harder to score on them, especially as the game wears on.

Their guards are very average. They don’t scare anybody and they aren’t great passers or creators. They may be able hit the open 3 within the flow of the offense. Williams and Wilson can get to the rim but have trouble finishing. I really like Gytenbeek and think she will get more playing time as the season goes on. She is the only one of the guards that scare me at this point.

The Hull sisters are very average and don’t scare anybody. Second Hull sister didn't play in this game.

Offensively there are a work in progress but with their bigs, they can be very good here. Except for Belibi, their bigs can also hit the mid-range which makes them difficult to defend. Brink is going to get better and may be a force later this year. Same with Belibi. Those two haven’t put it all together yet, but they could. This could be a serious problem down the road for us. Jones can take over when all else fails. She can get her shot on her own and is a pure scorer.

Our guards can dominate their guards and, if we can hit the 3, the dominance will be even more so. They don’t have anybody that can stop or slow down PB or CW.

The problem for us will be who will guard Jones, because we will have a hard time matching up with her? At this point I would say EW but she will need to improve greatly on the defensive end or Jones goes for 20 easy. EW really doesn't have the size or defensive skills to guard Jones, so this is a worry.

Then who guards Belibi? That coudl be AE and I think she can do an effective job. Of course we can use Liv here too on Belibi but she will need to be coached to be very careful going for the block because Belibi has a nice arsenal of moves which can get Liv into foul trouble. When Anna is in, she will need to guard Hull. When Hull is not in the game, Anna may not be in the game either unless we are in zone.

I think a zone defense would be very good against Stanford or possibly a box and 1 on Jones. I think zone because I am willing to take my chances on the Stanford guards missing open 3s and they simply are not good passers or creators, which you need to break down a zone.

We will need good games from Liv and/or AE I think to beat them. Stanford isn’t a great team and if we have at least one big to have a consistent game and hit some outside shots, we win as well.

But at this point, those are big Ifs.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I watched the Stanford-Oregon game. Second Stanford game I’ve seen. I thought I try to make a projection of how we match up with them.

They are a good team with potential to be very good once their bigs settle in a bit more and gel. They have a terrific amount of talent with their bigs with Jones, Belibi, Brink and Prechtel. I think they will get even better here as the season continues. They may be capable of taking over games offensively with their great length, mid-range and of course the skills of Belibi and Jones. Defensively, they have good length and can bother a lot of shots, but they can be a step slow and naïve in playing with their eyes/feet. Length = more rebounds and harder to score on them, especially as the game wears on.

Their guards are very average. They don’t scare anybody and they aren’t great passers or creators. They may be able hit the open 3 within the flow of the offense. Williams and Wilson can get to the rim but have trouble finishing. I really like Gytenbeek and think she will get more playing time as the season goes on. She is the only one of the guards that scare me at this point.

The Hull sisters are very average and don’t scare anybody. Second Hull sister didn't play in this game.

Offensively there are a work in progress but with their bigs, they can be very good here. Except for Belibi, their bigs can also hit the mid-range which makes them difficult to defend. Brink is going to get better and may be a force later this year. Same with Belibi. Those two haven’t put it all together yet, but they could. This could be a serious problem down the road for us. Jones can take over when all else fails. She can get her shot on her own and is a pure scorer.

Our guards can dominate their guards and, if we can hit the 3, the dominance will be even more so. They don’t have anybody that can stop or slow down PB or CW.

The problem for us will be who will guard Jones, because we will have a hard time matching up with her? At this point I would say EW but she will need to improve greatly on the defensive end or Jones goes for 20 easy. EW really doesn't have the size or defensive skills to guard Jones, so this is a worry.

Then who guards Belibi? That coudl be AE and I think she can do an effective job. Of course we can use Liv here too on Belibi but she will need to be coached to be very careful going for the block because Belibi has a nice arsenal of moves which can get Liv into foul trouble. When Anna is in, she will need to guard Hull. When Hull is not in the game, Anna may not be in the game either unless we are in zone.

I think a zone defense would be very good against Stanford or possibly a box and 1 on Jones. I think zone because I am willing to take my chances on the Stanford guards missing open 3s and they simply are not good passers or creators, which you need to break down a zone.

We will need good games from Liv and/or AE I think to beat them. Stanford isn’t a great team and if we have at least one big to have a consistent game and hit some outside shots, we win as well.

Williams had a particularly bad game yesterday and has struggled to start the year but is very capable of lighting teams up. And Robinson isn't flashy but she's quite effective and plays stellar defense. She slowed down Pao Pao big time yesterday and her quickness may impact Bueckers should they meet in the tournament. Stanford isn't a team with a slew of high scorers but everyone knows their role and plays within themselves which makes them a potent team. Lots of depth and a ton of size on the wings and inside. I think they're the best team in the country right now and the toughest match-up for UCONN come March.

Reaction Score

Good analysis jazz.

Reaction Score
Williams had a particularly bad game yesterday and has struggled to start the year but is very capable of lighting teams up. And Robinson isn't flashy but she's quite effective and plays stellar defense. She slowed down Pao Pao big time yesterday and her quickness may impact Bueckers should they meet in the tournament. Stanford isn't a team with a slew of high scorers but everyone knows their role and plays within themselves which makes them a potent team. Lots of depth and a ton of size on the wings and inside. I think they're the best team in the country right now and the toughest match-up for UCONN come March.
They will be a tough matchup, no doubt. I agree with what you say.

I don't think their guards match up well with ours however. I don't see their guards creating anything with the pass. Their guards do not create easy opportunities for others. I've only seen two games but I think good passing skills would have shown itself . As a result, scoring can be a struggle at times for Stanford. Everything looks difficult for them on offense. Not much is easy.

Take away the last two minutes of the 3rd quarter where Stanford pushed a 4 pt lead to a 13 pt lead (outscoring Oregon by 9 in those 2 minutes), and Oregon probably wins. Of course, you can't take away those 2 minutes, but Oregon was right there or even the better team for most of the game.

Reaction Score

What was your take on Oregon for having 5 freshmen and two redshirt freshmen. Talent is there but experience is not.

Reaction Score
What was your take on Oregon for having 5 freshmen and two redshirt freshmen. Talent is there but experience is not.
I thought Oregon let one get away with a very poor 2-minute stretch where they lost 9 net points to Stanford and a below average game for Sabally. Sabally looked like she lost her wind and focus at times on defense. Maybe she isn’t in the best of shape. She missed some shots and didn’t get involved as much on offense. She also turned the ball over a bit too much. I wouldn’t be happy with her effort and focus, even though she had a double double.

Parrish and Paopao are very good players. Both are scappy and have high energy. They didn’t play like freshmen. Parrish can stroke it. She didn’t play enough in this game and I think will play more as the season goes on. I thought Paopao had a very good game as well, outside of a few turnovers.

Good team and will get better as the freshman grow and Sabally gets in better shape.

Reaction Score
They will be a tough matchup, no doubt. I agree with what you say.

I don't think their guards match up well with ours however. I don't see their guards creating anything with the pass. Their guards do not create easy opportunities for others. I've only seen two games but I think good passing skills would have shown itself . As a result, scoring can be a struggle at times for Stanford. Everything looks difficult for them on offense. Not much is easy.

Take away the last two minutes of the 3rd quarter where Stanford pushed a 4 pt lead to a 13 pt lead (outscoring Oregon by 9 in those 2 minutes), and Oregon probably wins. Of course, you can't take away those 2 minutes, but Oregon was right there or even the better team for most of the game.
I actually think those two minutes are more indicative as to how Stanford typically plays. They do typically pass well. Kiana and Lacie Hull had particularly poor games. Lexie is much better than Lacie but was out due to Covid protocol. Lexie generally starts and Lacie gets limited mins (though does play primarily for her defense.) Jana did show some skills yesterday and I think she is actually the most natural of the point guards for Stanford. I think she will see more minutes as the season progresses. Overall though, having watched all their games, they played pretty poorly yesterday. In fact, they looked a bit lost for a good chunk of it. Half the time they didn't even know who was going to throw the pass inbounds, as I think that is primarily Lexie on out of bounds plays and she was out. But I don't think yesterday was very indicative of their typical offense. They also rebounded poorly. Again, they just seemed lost. Fortunately, they had enough talent to pull it out, and credit is certainly due to Oregon -- they are a solid team. But overall, Stanford did not look like their normal selves yesterday.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Williams is no time a focus of the offense this year and has “gone off” on exactly 1 game this year. Here is her game log for 2020-21
I have watched 7 Full Stanford games and the simple explanation is Anna Wilson has stepped up and into the starting lineup and is the primary ball handler vs. what Kiana did last year.
I am an absolute UConn fan but having watched this team so much I don’t really agree with Jazz’s analysis. Yesterday’s game against Oregon was atypical as the Cardinal had been phenomenal on their assist to turnover ratio and yesterday’s was abysmal 8 to 17 while their season average was 20-12 prior to this game. I also disagree with @willtalk as Prince is NOT at any physical playing level to have made a difference (yet). Heck, she’s not even a starter at this point where as Lexie Hull who was out is.
Their guards are solid and the freshman Van Gytenbeck played the most minutes of the season due to the better Hull being absent. The ability to rotate 3 very, very good front court players in Belibi, Prectal and the star freshman Brink, is impressive. They also have a Senior Jerome who played significant minutes prior to all these 3 developing so quickly. The big problem is Jones who has shown she is a stud. UConn is younger than this team and would be challenged at this point in the season if they played. However Geno and Cd are renowned for evolving teams to be ready for the NCAAT so if they do meet, I believe it would be a great game with the edge to Stanford as they have better outside shooting at this point.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
And Robinson isn't flashy but she's quite effective and plays stellar defense. She slowed down Pao Pao big time yesterday and her quickness may impact Bueckers should they meet in the tournament.
I think you mean Wilson. In recent games she has hounded Osborne from UCLA and McDonald from Arizona into terrible shooting performances.

Reaction Score
I actually think those two minutes are more indicative as to how Stanford typically plays. They do typically pass well. Kiana and Lacie Hull had particularly poor games. Lexie is much better than Lacie but was out due to Covid protocol. Lexie generally starts and Lacie gets limited mins (though does play primarily for her defense.) Jana did show some skills yesterday and I think she is actually the most natural of the point guards for Stanford. I think she will see more minutes as the season progresses. Overall though, having watched all their games, they played pretty poorly yesterday. In fact, they looked a bit lost for a good chunk of it. Half the time they didn't even know who was going to throw the pass inbounds, as I think that is primarily Lexie on out of bounds plays and she was out. But I don't think yesterday was very indicative of their typical offense. They also rebounded poorly. Again, they just seemed lost. Fortunately, they had enough talent to pull it out, and credit is certainly due to Oregon -- they are a solid team. But overall, Stanford did not look like their normal selves yesterday.
I've only seen two games, so I can only speak of what I saw in both of these games. The other one was washington. In both, I was not impressed with either Hull sister. They can be liabilities on defense. The hustle and want to is there, but they are slow, but do have size and length which helps.

The Stanford guards are not good passers. Yes they can make the easy pass that any player should make, but they do not make the really good passes that make other players better and create easy buckets. Actually, it is hard for them to get easy buckets.

I really like the freshman Van Gytenbeck going forward. She can shoot and play defense and hustle. She looks a bit small so maybe will struggle with size matchups.

Stanford needs to run their offense well to get points or they need to rely on Jones to bail them out. Jones is a terrific player and can create all by herself and often has to when the offense breaks down. She can carry them for long stretches if they can't get their offense going and then Belibi can get the rebounds if she misses.

Belibi is an enigma for me..she is obviously talented but she just doesn't seem to get enough done and misses too many shots....I have a feeling she is going to break out soon...if she hasn't already in other games.

Brink can be a real force but she plays defense like a freshman...doesn't move well at times and looks for the block. But her great length makes up for a lot of shortcomings. She can grab rebounds and putbacks and I have a feeling based on the couple of misses she had from outside (she looked good and comfortable - just missed the shots), that she can shoot it too...just didn't see it thus far.

They have a formidable front court that could be get a lot better as the year goes along with the maturation of Brink and increased consistency of Belibi. Pretchel is good and underrated as well. She can hit the mid-range which helps.

I think this team, especially their bigs can gel a bit, they will get a lot better as the year goes on.

The equalizer for Uconn will be their guards. I think the UCONN guards can really torch them.......but they have to hit the outside shot!

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
They can be liabilities on defense.
I don't think you saw what you thought you saw. They are everywhere on defense, especially Lacie. Lexie can light it up, but like Kiana Williams her shot has been off most of the season so far.

Reaction Score
Williams is no time a focus of the offense this year and has “gone off” on exactly 1 game this year. Here is her game log for 2020-21
I have watched 7 Full Stanford games and the simple explanation is Anna Wilson has stepped up and into the starting lineup and is the primary ball handler vs. what Kiana did last year.
I am an absolute UConn fan but having watched this team so much I don’t really agree with Jazz’s analysis. Yesterday’s game against Oregon was atypical as the Cardinal had been phenomenal on their assist to turnover ratio and yesterday’s was abysmal 8 to 17 while their season average was 20-12 prior to this game. I also disagree with @willtalk as Prince is NOT at any physical playing level to have made a difference (yet). Heck, she’s not even a starter at this point where as Lexie Hull who was out is.
Their guards are solid and the freshman Van Gytenbeck played the most minutes of the season due to the better Hull being absent. The ability to rotate 3 very, very good front court players in Belibi, Prectal and the star freshman Brink, is impressive. They also have a Senior Jerome who played significant minutes prior to all these 3 developing so quickly. The big problem is Jones who has shown she is a stud. UConn is younger than this team and would be challenged at this point in the season if they played. However Geno and Cd are renowned for evolving teams to be ready for the NCAAT so if they do meet, I believe it would be a great game with the edge to Stanford as they have better outside shooting at this point.
Well you might not agreed with me, but I agree with much of what you said. In the two games I have seen, I would call the Stanford guards very average and not very good at making things easy for their teammates with stellar passing. They don't get many easy buckets. But, I have only seen 2 games...

I definitely like the Van Gytenbeck kid and the front line of Stanford, which I think will get better as the year goes on. Then there is Jones, who can create by herself and bail out the team while Belibi hunts down offensive rebounds....sounds scary to me...Then throw in Prechtal and Brink...well this will be hard to deal with, despite the lack of what I would call good guard play.

Reaction Score
Well you might not agreed with me, but I agree with much of what you said. In the two games I have seen, I would call the Stanford guards very average and not very good at making things easy for their teammates with stellar passing. They don't get many easy buckets. But, I have only seen 2 games...

I definitely like the Van Gytenbeck kid and the front line of Stanford, which I think will get better as the year goes on. Then there is Jones, who can create by herself and bail out the team while Belibi hunts down offensive rebounds....sounds scary to me...Then throw in Prechtal and Brink...well this will be hard to deal with, despite the lack of what I would call good guard play.

Reaction Score
I don't think you saw what you thought you saw. They are everywhere on defense, especially Lacie. Lexie can light it up, but like Kiana Williams her shot has been off most of the season so far.
Yes they tend to hustle all over the place, but I don't think they have the foot speed to keep up with EW or CW. I only speak of the 2 games I have seen.

Reaction Score
Here is a question I would like to have answered by fans that don’t have a dog in the fight ( Oregon or Stanford fans) If the Oregon team of last year with Ionescu. Sabally and Hebard played this years Stanford team what would be the result playing 5 games against one another. I want an unbiased opinion.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom