Oregon St. @ Washington St. | The Boneyard

Oregon St. @ Washington St.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Cougs leading 17-7 after 1Q. Beavs are 3-17 from the floor. That is not a misprint. I don't know how that's even possible. They have had about 8 shots rim out. Missed a bunch of bunnies as well as jump shots. Generally playing fairly badly. 5 turnovers already. WSU is doubling Gulich every time she touches the ball and nobody else can do anything. Yikes. Cougs are 3-4 behind the arc.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
This might be the worst game I've ever seen. 20-9 Wazzu, OSU is 4-23 from the floor w/ 9 turnovers. 4 minutes til halftime.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
24-13 at halftime. This is putrid. OSU 5-28 from the floor (17.9%) and 1-11 behind the arc (9.1%). 11 turnovers, 9 steals by Wazzu. OSU has 11 O boards but it doesn't matter because they can't even hit from point blank range. Cougs pretty much only scored on 3's or converting turnovers. Man, I like OSU, but this is beyond pathetic.

Reaction Score
This might be the worst game I've ever seen. 20-9 Wazzu, OSU is 4-23 from the floor w/ 9 turnovers. 4 minutes til halftime.
Apparently you didn’t see the. Illinois State vs Southern Illinois score line. 39-36 FINAL brutal.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
sad_beaver_by_nordtimmy-d4y2ahq.jpg

what the heck is going on in Pullman

Reaction Score
The worst 1st & 2nd quarter in the Scott Rueck era. The Beavers were pathetic. Before this game, WSU suspended for the rest of the season, 3 players, including 2 starters. That is how embarrassing this game is for the OSU Beavers. The turnovers are back. 1st possession, Pivec throws it away, followed by, guessing, 13-15 turnovers in the half. On top of that, Beavers missed at least 7 x 1 foot shots, and, missed nearly every other shot. 23-11 WSU after 1st half. Yes, you are reading that correctly.

Reaction Score
OSU is giving me a heart attack. OSU runs an out of bounds play with 2.2 seconds and scores to put in overtime.

Reaction Score
Pathetic performance by OSU. Escaped with a win, but not a confidence building game. Kat Tudor missed every single shot she took, and then wouldn't shoot when she had an open look. Had it not been for OSU's freshman point guard, who stepped up big, this would have been an awful loss for OSU. As it is, it was an awful win, if there is such a thing. We'll see what OSU team shows up in Seattle on Sunday.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
It happens. Every good team lays an egg at some point. The eggs are sometimes relative, of course.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I left at halftime so I missed the rest of the game. Just looking at box score, at least OSU started hitting some shots and quit turning the ball over.

Also saw a quick highlight package, looks like McWilliams picked her spots dramatically! Didn't shoot very well but got the bucket to force OT and then hit the pair of FTs to win it.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Apparently you didn’t see the. Illinois State vs Southern Illinois score line. 39-36 FINAL brutal.

Thankfully I did not see that game.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Saw a replay of the 2nd half and OT. OSU was in control most of that time frame, but didn't score for the last 3 1/2 minutes of regulation until they got the game tying bucket w/ about a second left. Then they were up 6 w/ 30 seconds left in OT and got outscored 7-1, missing 3 of 4 FTs. I thought the foul w/ 1 second left looked questionable in real time, but the replay showed the WSU defender definitely hit the hand of the shooter. Kind of lucky to escape w/ the W. OSU did not close out the 4th quarter or OT well at all. Goodman and Gulich played well after halftime.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Saw a replay of the 2nd half and OT. OSU was in control most of that time frame, but didn't score for the last 3 1/2 minutes of regulation until they got the game tying bucket w/ about a second left. Then they were up 6 w/ 30 seconds left in OT and got outscored 7-1, missing 3 of 4 FTs. I thought the foul w/ 1 second left looked questionable in real time, but the replay showed the WSU defender definitely hit the hand of the shooter. Kind of lucky to escape w/ the W. OSU did not close out the 4th quarter or OT well at all. Goodman and Gulich played well after halftime.
So, why did 4 players get suspended and is the suspension permanent?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score

Don't know the answer to either question. It was announced during the broadcast, no details other than breaking team rules. It was listed as "indefinite" which leaves A LOT of wiggle room! For a Duke men's basketball player an indefinite suspension means 1 game (see Grayson Allen aka The Tripper last season).

Reaction Score
At beginning of game, one of the game announcers said the suspension was for remainder of season.

Reaction Score
Pathetic performance by OSU. Escaped with a win, but not a confidence building game. Kat Tudor missed every single shot she took, and then wouldn't shoot when she had an open look. Had it not been for OSU's freshman point guard, who stepped up big, this would have been an awful loss for OSU. As it is, it was an awful win, if there is such a thing. We'll see what OSU team shows up in Seattle on Sunday.
Passing up that open look was actually the right thing to do. When your shot isn't dropping you automatically become the last option in that sort of circumstance. This goes along with what I stated in my last post about the team learning to get the ball to the hot hand. The incident you spoke of happened in the final minutes when every offensive possession was critical. There was time on the shot clock and having a cold shooter take the shot was very low percentage. They did end up scoring on that possession. The idea is to work for the highest percentage shot and that is what Oregon St. often does not do. That is the problem with some of the Oregon St. players- they take high risk shots with plenty of time left on the shot clock. That sort of thing should be done when the clock is running down. Goodwin was the hot hand and I am glad she got plenty of shots. That is what the team needs to do more of. Some players just don't seem to get that concept and seem to constantly make stupid decisions. You don't always just shoot the ball just because you can. That is also a major part of BB IQ. They also often focus too much on one half of the floor. To get open looks it is important to swing the ball from side to side without hesitation. If you do not have a shot get rid of it quickly and don't hold it, Know where you are going before the ball gets into your hands. Of course this requires good court vision.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Passing up that open look was actually the right thing to do. When your shot isn't dropping you automatically become the last option in that sort of circumstance. This goes along with what I stated in my last post about the team learning to get the ball to the hot hand. The incident you spoke of happened in the final minutes when every offensive possession was critical. There was time on the shot clock and having a cold shooter take the shot was very low percentage. They did end up scoring on that possession. The idea is to work for the highest percentage shot and that is what Oregon St. often does not do. That is the problem with some of the Oregon St. players- they take high risk shots with plenty of time left on the shot clock. That sort of thing should be done when the clock is running down. Goodwin was the hot hand and I am glad she got plenty of shots. That is what the team needs to do more of. Some players just don't seem to get that concept and seem to constantly make stupid decisions. You don't always just shoot the ball just because you can. That is also a major part of BB IQ. They also often focus too much on one half of the floor. To get open looks it is important to swing the ball from side to side without hesitation. If you do not have a shot get rid of it quickly and don't hold it, Know where you are going before the ball gets into your hands. Of course this requires good court vision.
Goodman is one of these OSU players that can shoot the 3, and unlike Kat Tudor, can create her own shot. My concern is Kat Tudor's confidence. She is a player that loses confidence quickly. Beavers need her to remain a confident shooter. Otherwise, she becomes a liability on the floor (she is not a stellar defensive player). We need OSU coaches to work smarter to get Kat open looks where she has time to set her feet. Most of her shots in WSU game, she did not have her feet set. You point out, and you are correct, that the hot hand was Goodman, and that was great news for the Beavers. I hope (not quite pray) that Goodman becomes our point guard for rest of season. I don't know how many times Beavers have started the game with their 1st possession being a turnover from the point guard position. Aleah Goodman is a true point guard, can run the team, and can score when required. The last second shot by Katie McWilliams to put the game in overtime, was a double win for OSU--Katie McWilliams stepping up again for the Beavers, and the GREAT inbound pass by Goodman to McWilliams. I am hopeful the coaches also recognized Aleah's great clutch play, and reward her with the point guard position.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom