Oregon large | The Boneyard

Oregon large

Reaction Score
After watching the Oregon game and some others, it was so obvious to me how big some other top teams are. I watch and root for Uconn girls and they appear so so small this year. We are really good and quick, but lack the bulk. I hope we don't get pushed around........only Geno has a shot at making a run at the final 4 this year. I will not give up on Anna....they should be able to fix her.....Is she really that slow?? Her passing and court knowledge seems to be there.......she has been a good shooter in Europe, are rims different there? Geno and staff should be working on her head, and they will.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
After watching the Oregon game and some others, it was so obvious to me how big some other top teams are. I watch and root for Uconn girls and they appear so so small this year. We are really good and quick, but lack the bulk. I hope we don't get pushed around........only Geno has a shot at making a run at the final 4 this year. I will not give up on Anna....they should be able to fix her.....Is she really that slow?? Her passing and court knowledge seems to be there.......she has been a good shooter in Europe, are rims different there? Geno and staff should be working on her head, and they will.

The Huskies are not that quick or athletic. That should change a bit next season.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This idea that there are all these teams that are bigger, quicker and more athletic than UConn is a fallacy. Let’s take OR, the #1 team in the country right now. Led by their POY candidate, Sabrina Ionescu, the Ducks are very good. But as much as any team in the country, OR pads the height of the players listed on their roster. All you need to do is look at the photo taken during the PanAm games to see that Ruthy Hebard is a good 3” shorter than Liv. Satou Sabally was listed at 6’3” last season. Evidently she’s grown an inch. ND transfer Erin Boley is a great shooter, but she’s not going to run rings around anyone. As for their guards, Ionescu is 5’11” and Minton Moore is 5’8”.

So comparing OR to UConn, the Ducks starters go 6’3”, 6’2”, 6’2”, 5’11”, 5’8” for a total of 30’1”. UConn gores 6’5”, 6’1”, 6’1” (assumes Anna starts), 5’11” & 5’6” for a total of 30’ even. Now OR is clearly a more experienced team starting 3 seniors & a GS, but when it comes to size and athleticism, at least with the starting 5, UConn matches up pretty well.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
So comparing OR to UConn, the Ducks starters go 6’3”, 6’2”, 6’2”, 5’11”, 5’8” for a total of 30’1”. UConn gores 6’5”, 6’1”, 6’1” (assumes Anna starts), 5’11” & 5’6” for a total of 30’ even. Now OR is clearly a more experienced team starting 3 seniors & a GS, but when it comes to size and athleticism, at least with the starting 5, UConn matches up pretty well.

Aren't you assuming the UConn players are all their listed heights here though?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This idea that there are all these teams that are bigger, quicker and more athletic than UConn is a fallacy. Let’s take OR, the #1 team in the country right now. Led by their POY candidate, Sabrina Ionescu, the Ducks are very good. But as much as any team in the country, OR pads the height of the players listed on their roster. All you need to do is look at the photo taken during the PanAm games to see that Ruthy Hebard is a good 3” shorter than Liv. Satou Sabally was listed at 6’3” last season. Evidently she’s grown an inch. ND transfer Erin Boley is a great shooter, but she’s not going to run rings around anyone. As for their guards, Ionescu is 5’11” and Minton Moore is 5’8”.
So are the coaches Poll and AP rankings also a fallacy or did they use a different criteria to predict that there are 3 teams that are either bigger, quicker, more athletic or just plain better teams than UCONN for this season. Very creative to use total height as a stat to determine that two teams are comparable. Don't know if I've ever seen that before-so.... Oregon State should easily win the 2020 championship?

Reaction Score
So are the coaches Poll and AP rankings also a fallacy or did they use a different criteria to predict that there are 3 teams that are either bigger, quicker, more athletic or just plain better teams than UCONN for this season. Very creative to use total height as a stat to determine that two teams are comparable. Don't know if I've ever seen that before-so.... Oregon State should easily win the 2020 championship?

based on that criteria Oregon State might win the NBA championship.............:rolleyes:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Height is a factor. It is not the factor. I’ll take our 1st 4 matched up against any other team’s top 4 players in the country. Beyond that, UConn has to establish a solid 5th player and some depth to compete for a championship. I’ll put my money on Geno and his staff to get it done to at least to make it back to a 13th straight FF.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Where did I say UConn was better than Oregon? In fact, I mention Oregon’s experience and talent as factors. My discussion dealt with the tired argument that UConn does not have enough size, and the new argument that we are not athletic enough. Beyond that, I still believe UConn will spring an upset when the Ducks pay a visit to CT, and time will tell whether Baylor and Stanford are better than UConn.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Aren't you assuming the UConn players are all their listed heights here though?
Having used the Bria Hartley measuring scale, I’m fairly confident with the heights listed for UConn’s starters.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score

Some comments from Eugene. First, I don't view Oregon as a particularly "big" team; that title does belong, however, to the team 40 miles to the north in Corvallis. And Graves has not used more than one "big" inside for the past two seasons. How "big" that big is is apparently a burning question, so here's my take. First, S. Sabally has always been listed at 6'4"--at UO and elsewhere (Hoopgurlz, various European FIBA rosters)--and no one has, as far as I know, questioned that. Visual "evidence" from this end, especially lineups for the National Anthem and team photos, suggest that Hebard (who was also listed at 6'4" before she arrived in Eugene--e.g. Hoopgurlz, Alaskan sources) is about the same height, although maybe a bit shorter. And of course it's also possible that Olivia is taller than 6'5" (she certainly seems so to me). If Nyara Sabally (having gone from 6'4" to 6'5" since she arrived in Eugene) hadn't been injured for two years straight, or if Prince (listed at 6'7" everywhere as far as I can tell) gets at waiver and is healthy enough to play this year, things may change, but for now Oregon starts two players around 6'4", another around 6'2", and two between 5'8" and 5'11"--assuming that all of these numbers aren't inflated. There is some additional size on the bench, with some signs that it may make a difference but it's too early in the season to tell.

Reaction Score
...And of course it's also possible that Olivia is taller than 6'5" (she certainly seems so to me). If Nyara Sabally (having gone from 6'4" to 6'5" since she arrived in Eugene) hadn't been injured for two years straight, or if Prince (listed at 6'7" everywhere as far as I can tell) gets at waiver and is healthy enough to play this year, things may change, but for now Oregon starts two players around 6'4", another around 6'2", and two between 5'8" and 5'11"--assuming that all of these numbers aren't inflated. There is some additional size on the bench, with some signs that it may make a difference but it's too early in the season to tell.
Olivia says she's 6' 4-1/2" in stocking feet. To me Hebard always seemed about 6'3", but it doesn't matter - she plays big and she plays great.

Reaction Score
Yes. It's also assuming the the listed Oregon heights are correct as well.
He took an inch off of the listed heights of Sabally and two off of Hebard...

Reaction Score

Could you share where Sabally was listed at 6-3?

Reaction Score
C2E94651-7426-45D8-936C-533E0AE41254.jpeg

Reaction Score
Oregon State's underclassmen alone include 6'9", 6'9", 6'7", 6'6", & 6'3" (who is so far the best one).

Oregon is above average but Baylor had a size advantage in their Final 4 matchup, a size advantage that definitely impacted the game (especially with Hebard who had one of her more modest outings in memory and seemed timid).

Of course you'd expect more rebounds and more regular production of points from Boley given her ranking out of HS but she is still such a looming X factor that could put away any team in the country with a flurry of three's.

I really think she's got the best stroke since KML. I think of Louisville's Antonita Slaughter from the Schimmel era, another tall 6'1"-6'2" who could easily knock down 5 or 6 three's and put a close game out of reach in a short span of time.

Reaction Score
While she may not be fleet of foot, Anna makes up for it by knowing where to go, thus getting there in time. There’s more than one way to play the game.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
3 of Oregon St.'s tall players are currently injured/unable to play. In reality they don't have nearly as much height as perusing their roster would suggest. (Aquino, Mitrovic and Corosdale are the unavailable players)

Reaction Score
I'm looking forward to when UConn plays against Oregon at home. Any team can look All-World when playing cupcakes and as we saw, they didn't exactly dominate Syracuse. People are hanging their hats on an exhibition game in which the USA Team didn't even have their best players and other teams gave the USA squad a go as well. The Ducks remind me of the 2004-05 LSU team..can they match the hype..

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Oregon State's underclassmen alone include 6'9", 6'9", 6'7", 6'6", & 6'3" (who is so far the best one).

Oregon is above average but Baylor had a size advantage in their Final 4 matchup, a size advantage that definitely impacted the game (especially with Hebard who had one of her more modest outings in memory and seemed timid).

Of course you'd expect more rebounds and more regular production of points from Boley given her ranking out of HS but she is still such a looming X factor that could put away any team in the country with a flurry of three's.

I really think she's got the best stroke since KML. I think of Louisville's Antonita Slaughter from the Schimmel era, another tall 6'1"-6'2" who could easily knock down 5 or 6 three's and put a close game out of reach in a short span of time.

Hebard had been dealing with a knee injury since the game at Corvallis, and was generally considered to be at best about 80% of her pre-injury self (lateral quickness, jumping ability, endurance, etc.). Given that, imo she actually did ok against Brown et al. I didn't notice any timidity, but--if so--I suspect she'd been told she had to stay on the court as much as possible given Baylor's towers up front. If Boley comes close to the impact KML had her final two seasons, Duck fans will be ecstatic.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom