Orangebloods: Big 12/Notre Dame discussions ongoing, heating uo | The Boneyard

Orangebloods: Big 12/Notre Dame discussions ongoing, heating uo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1283801

"Orangebloods.com was first to report Notre Dame possibly moving its non-football sports to the Big 12 back in August. We were nearly laughed off the internet when we reported it.

But the discussion of ND possibly moving its non-football sports to the Big 12 continues to heat up. The subject is actively being discussed by Big 12 administrators and the Irish."

________

And who chairs the Big East expansion committee?

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
While this seems like 'spin' leaked by Texas and has very little chance of coming to fruition (I thought Notre Dame had to keep their eastern affiliations?).....it makes me wonder how does UConn go about becoming the head of the football expansion/league commision? That seems to be the only way to get out of this hell hole (first BC, then Pitt, now ND).

Reaction Score
.....it makes me wonder how does UConn go about becoming the head of the football expansion/league commision? That seems to be the only way to get out of this hell hole (first BC, then Pitt, now ND).[/quote]

very funny.

Reaction Score
How will this work for ND if, as someone else recently posted, the Big 12 doesn't even have sports such as soccer and lacrosse while ND has nationally ranked teams in those sports? So they are going to move their non football sports to a league that doesn't even play ones ND is very good in?

Reaction Score
It has to be a ploy to get the ACC to offer partial membership. Or, its just false rumor.

Reaction Score
Or Orangebloods has great visibility into ND/Big 12 discussions but no visibility into ND/ACC discussions. A rational person would think they would be having discussions with both, and the B1G if they would entertain such discussions. If I were the Big 10 I probably would have the discussion.

Reaction Score
Someone on another board posted the theory that Texas is pushing this because that's what they want to do---go independent in football. Notre Dame would be setting the precedent for them in the Big 12.

Reaction Score
Big 12 doesn't have men's soccer or men's and women's lacrosse. ND is not a good fit.

Reaction Score
This is all ND spin trying to flesh out if there is any hope of partial membership in the ACC. They are playing chicken. The last time around, they got in the way of BC being added to the ACC right away to see if there was any way to get the deal they wanted. This time there is no other school they can get in front of/obstruct, and the BE option is evaporating in front of them, so they are playing the game of which conference is wiling to give use the best deal when they probably will not get a deal from any of them. Sure, there are 3 ACC schools with strong ND ties and TX may want this for going independent in the future, but ND lacks any real leverage right now. They fall back to their considered opinion that they are "special" despite the NBC TV ratings being average. So they play it out through rumors and blogs and see if they can get 6 more schools in either the ACC or Big 12 to play along. But I am sure they are trying to figure out what Plan B works best for their alumni and donors because I find it hard to believe that Plan A will work in any other conference than the BE.

Reaction Score
This is all ND spin trying to flesh out if there is any hope of partial membership in the ACC. They are playing chicken. The last time around, they got in the way of BC being added to the ACC right away to see if there was any way to get the deal they wanted. This time there is no other school they can get in front of/obstruct, and the BE option is evaporating in front of them, so they are playing the game of which conference is wiling to give use the best deal when they probably will not get a deal from any of them. Sure, there are 3 ACC schools with strong ND ties and TX may want this for going independent in the future, but ND lacks any real leverage right now. They fall back to their considered opinion that they are "special" despite the NBC TV ratings being average. So they play it out through rumors and blogs and see if they can get 6 more schools in either the ACC or Big 12 to play along. But I am sure they are trying to figure out what Plan B works best for their alumni and donors because I find it hard to believe that Plan A will work in any other conference than the BE.

I'd add one more piece to this. Remember the comment on the ACC's media day from one of the coaches (might have been K) to the extent that all members in the ACC have always shared revenue equally? You could easily interpret that comment as the ACC and Notre Dame are having conversations about ND playing football in the ACC but are negotiating terms (which will not be fully equal economically).

This would be consistent with Wojo's piece linked elsewhere earlier. It would also be consistent with Herbst's reaction the first weekend (the theory would be that she was told by a representative of an ACC school that ND would be joining and UConn would be offered with it, but she did not understand the timing of it and that she wasn't helping the ACC's cause by not keeping her mouth shut).

My guess is that Notre Dame is shopping itself to the ACC, Big Ten and Big XII to see what the best terms it can get, both as a non-football and as an all sports, are. Remember, that the Notre Dame administration already decided they needed to be in a conference, but in separate times have let the alumni talk them out of it). They are making less money than tons of schools at the moment, and their ratings are continuing to slip. The growth of conferences will make it harder and harder to schedule well, and thus to stop the slippage in their market share.

I am manic, and am going through periods of depression and optimism over this, but I still hold to the position that before Syracuse and Pitt actually leave we will be committed to a conference with an AQ future.

But if you think for a moment that one of Notre Dame's terms to the ACC (or either of the Bigs for that matter if we're being discussed) does not include that to take us instead of Rutgers the Irish will want our home games against them to be in the Meadowlands or Yankee Stadium, you're nuts. We already know that is how the Irish want to play us, and we have far less leverage today than we did when we didn't jump at the offer a few years ago.

Reaction Score
It has to be a ploy to get the ACC to offer partial membership. Or, its just false rumor.

I agree. This sounds like a leak from the Notre Dame camp, to try to scare the ACC into taking them as a partial member, which Swofford has said they won't do. Notre Dame has no interest in playing Kansas, Okie State, etc. This is a message to the ACC.

But Notre Dame should realize that they don't really bring any cachet to any conference as a partial member any more. I mean, who cares?

Reaction Score
I'd add one more piece to this. Remember the comment on the ACC's media day from one of the coaches (might have been K) to the extent that all members in the ACC have always shared revenue equally? You could easily interpret that comment as the ACC and Notre Dame are having conversations about ND playing football in the ACC but are negotiating terms (which will not be fully equal economically).

This would be consistent with Wojo's piece linked elsewhere earlier. It would also be consistent with Herbst's reaction the first weekend (the theory would be that she was told by a representative of an ACC school that ND would be joining and UConn would be offered with it, but she did not understand the timing of it and that she wasn't helping the ACC's cause by not keeping her mouth shut).

My guess is that Notre Dame is shopping itself to the ACC, Big Ten and Big XII to see what the best terms it can get, both as a non-football and as an all sports, are. Remember, that the Notre Dame administration already decided they needed to be in a conference, but in separate times have let the alumni talk them out of it). They are making less money than tons of schools at the moment, and their ratings are continuing to slip. The growth of conferences will make it harder and harder to schedule well, and thus to stop the slippage in their market share.

I am manic, and am going through periods of depression and optimism over this, but I still hold to the position that before Syracuse and Pitt actually leave we will be committed to a conference with an AQ future.

But if you think for a moment that one of Notre Dame's terms to the ACC (or either of the Bigs for that matter if we're being discussed) does not include that to take us instead of Rutgers the Irish will want our home games against them to be in the Meadowlands or Yankee Stadium, you're nuts. We already know that is how the Irish want to play us, and we have far less leverage today than we did when we didn't jump at the offer a few years ago.

Good post. At this point, if all it takes for UCONN to get into the ACC is by scheduling ND at Yankee stadium or the Meadowlands, then we got no choice but do it..

I wonder had we agreed to a 10 year deal with ND a few years back, would we be in the ACC already?

Reaction Score
Let's say that is the case and we agree to play home games against ND in NY/NJ. What about schools like Duke and Wake who have even smaller stadiums than ours? Will ND play them in their little stadiums?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I agree. This sounds like a leak from the Notre Dame camp, to try to scare the ACC into taking them as a partial member, which Swofford has said they won't do. Notre Dame has no interest in playing Kansas, Okie State, etc. This is a message to the ACC.

But Notre Dame should realize that they don't really bring any cachet to any conference as a partial member any more. I mean, who cares?
The theory is this: ND would have a place to park their medium-revenue sports like basketball, baseball, etc. In football, they would start playing a number of Big XII teams on a regular basis: Texas and OU, perhaps TCU in Jerryworld or Baylor in the Alamodome, etc. The sports they have that aren't Big XII-relevant would be under the umbrella of regionally sports authorities (such as CCHA for hockey).

That is the theory, don't shoot the messenger.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Let's say that is the case and we agree to play home games against ND in NY/NJ. What about schools like Duke and Wake who have even smaller stadiums than ours? Will ND play them in their little stadiums?

No. Current ACC programs have bargaining power right now. UConn has absolutely none. I hope that we only have to agree to the Notre Dame football at the Meadowlands provision and it doesn't expand to also include Duke/UNC basketball at MSG.

Reaction Score

Yes. Because they have leverage. (And because the place that ND needs to play more than any other is in Metro NY>)

Reaction Score
No. Current ACC programs have bargaining power right now. UConn has absolutely none. I hope that we only have to agree to the Notre Dame football at the Meadowlands provision and it doesn't expand to also include Duke/UNC basketball at MSG.

Rutgers did the same exact thing to Notre Dame. This will have nothing to do with whatever Notre Dame does regarding conference affiliation. In the unlikely case it comes down to us getting in the ACC if we play Notre Dame at the Meadowlands, I think we know what our answer would be.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3366349

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
I think Conference Heads talk to ND from time to time over other issues as well and the all sports subject comes up as part of due diligence.

The best B12 rumors remain that there is alot of negotiation to do with Missouri and WVU and the BE to get a schedule and buyouts negotiated. That will take the process well into November and the championhsip games.

Once a framework is agreed upon and the B12 has Missouri for 2012 and WV for 2013 and the BE has cash and future game commitments then its done. At that point I think the B12 rests through the Holiday and starts up again in January with the 10 or 12 question and decides who to approach with Lousivlle.

There's no urgency for UConn and Rutgers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom