Oral History of 1999 Championship Team (Courant Article) | The Boneyard

Oral History of 1999 Championship Team (Courant Article)

Reaction Score
The oral history of the 1999 NCAA Championship-winning UConn men’s basketball team 20 years later

Great article. Some quotes:
"Calhoun: During my time at UConn, 26 years as the head coach, we had eight McDonald's All-Americans. Just to give you an idea, last year Kentucky had eight, Duke had eight — one team. Same as we had over 26 years. That doesn't mean good, bad or indifferent. What it does mean though... is that the pieces sometimes are more important than just pure talent."
"Freeman: The toughest game (Gonzaga) I've ever played in. It was the pressure. We never felt pressure as a group. There was so much pressure for that game, because you kept hearing about Coach Calhoun not being able to get to the Final Four, not getting over the hump. UConn can't get over the hump."
"Calhoun: Tom's up at the chalkboard going over the Duke team. About halfway through it, I walk up and say, 'hold it, hold it. Apparently our assistant, the way he's talking, thinks Duke's better than us. I'll tell you what — they aren't.' "
"Jones: They looked scared. I'm gonna say it. They looked scared. I'm looking in Shane Battier's eyes. I'm looking in Elton Brand's eyes.I played high school against him. So looking in their eyes, they had that deer-in-the-headlights look. Like, 'oh my God, is this gonna happen to us? We're the favorites.' Once we see that look, it's like a hyena. When he smells blood, he gets antsy and he wants more. That's how we were. "
"Freeman: Khalid and Rip would have these free throw competitions in practice, and they would go free throw for free throw for about 40 minutes. And it'd be a battle. Both guys talking. They didn't want to lose. It carried over into those last few moments. Khalid wasn't gonna miss those free throws. "

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Calhoun: During my time at UConn, 26 years as the head coach, we had eight McDonald's All-Americans. Just to give you an idea, last year Kentucky had eight, Duke had eight — one team. Same as we had over 26 years. That doesn't mean good, bad or indifferent. What it does mean though... is that the pieces sometimes are more important than just pure talent.

Reaction Score
Calhoun: During my time at UConn, 26 years as the head coach, we had eight McDonald's All-Americans. Just to give you an idea, last year Kentucky had eight, Duke had eight — one team. Same as we had over 26 years. That doesn't mean good, bad or indifferent. What it does mean though... is that the pieces sometimes are more important than just pure talent.

What it means is that Calhoun could do more with less than Ratface or any other contemporary on a college bench. It is a covincing argument that the tough Irish SOB was the greatest of all time.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Great listen ! Thanks.

Reaction Score
I honestly think the viewers at home (and in the stands) were more nervous than El-Amin when he hit those two free throws to go up 77-74.

Lets find ourself another pudgy sub 6-feet guard with a heart of steel, ice-water in his veins, somewhat cocky (but in a good way) who can lead the Huskies to 5.

BTW, I think other than a 9-2 start from Duke, no team lead by more than 5 if I recall. Uconn followed that 9-2 deficit with a 10-2 run of their own to go up 12-11 and from there no team led by more than 5 and even than, only once did each team lead by 5 (I think). Amazing game.

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
So looking in their eyes, they had that deer-in-the-headlights look. Like, 'oh my God, is this gonna happen to us? We're the favorites.' Once we see that look, it's like a hyena. When he smells blood, he gets antsy and he wants more. That's how we were. "

LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
That whole season was just so memorable. I remember various details about the games and how they relate to life around me at the time - what I was doing/location/personal life/work at various points. I also discovered the Boneyard (in its text version form) during that season.

Reaction Score
What it means is that Calhoun could do more with less than Ratface or any other contemporary on a college bench. It is a covincing argument that the tough Irish SOB was the greatest of all time.

I think it was Jay Bilas or Boeheim (maybe others too) who said what Calhoun did at UConn was the greatest coaching job in the history of the NCAA.

He took a Yankee Conference team and brought it to national prominence and yet his success and that of UConn never really got the acclaim other schools got and still get to this day. Look at the ESPN Requiem for the Big East special in which they gave Syracuse great credit for the feat of "winning four games in four days". They did not mention UConn in 2011 and that is just one example of how other teams have been given exalted status for lesser accomplishments.

Reaction Score
That whole season was just so memorable. I remember various details about the games and how they relate to life around me at the time - what I was doing/location/personal life/work at various points. I also discovered the Boneyard (in its text version form) during that season.
Ditto. I was in tenth grade and postponed, rightfully so, a huge project that was due the next day in an advanced Civilizations (history) class. I looked like a dingus in front of all my history buff classmates and is probably what dropped me from Level 1 to Level 2 (intermediate) history the next year. Oh well, I got to see Uconn beat the Zags in one of the most heart attack inducing games up until that moment in Uconn history and is perhaps topped only by Uconn/Duke 1999 and 2004, Uconn/Zona and the missed 3, Uconn/St. Joes and maybe a few others..

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Calhoun said that all of the players who came and went before were responsible for helping to pull that sled across the finish line. Hurley did not have to start from scratch but, he does need some sled Huskies to get it going.

Reaction Score
Ditto. I was in tenth grade and postponed, rightfully so, a huge project that was due the next day in an advanced Civilizations (history) class. I looked like a dingus in front of all my history buff classmates and is probably what dropped me from Level 1 to Level 2 (intermediate) history the next year. Oh well, I got to see Uconn beat the Zags in one of the most heart attack inducing games up until that moment in Uconn history and is perhaps topped only by Uconn/Duke 1999 and 2004, Uconn/Zona and the missed 3, Uconn/St. Joes and maybe a few others..

I remember watching the Gonzaga game in the bar of a hotel in NJ because my family and I went to the games there. I watched the Ohio state game on a small tv in the lobby of a veterinary office I worked at and the finals, nervously by myself as my parents went to the game . We still have a blown up picture of the opening tip and you can faintly see my parents In the background. Shane battier was so annoying

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom