Optimism | The Boneyard

Optimism

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I must say that this season has been rather disappointing. I feel like I've watched the same game over and over again. Go down, come back...go down, come back...and then lose. Free throws and turnovers have absolutely killed us. We have been great at times, and extremely mediocre/borderline terrible often. It has not been for lack of effort however, as I feel that the team truly wants to win, and is hungry to taste it. And that hunger...that feeling of losing...that feeling of being so close, is actually going to be good thing for us long-term. I know CV is leaving, and it's likely that Gilbert will too, but for the young guys on the team right now, I think this season is setting them up for success.

I recently read a great book by Sam Weinman - "Win at Losing: How Our Biggest Setback Can Lead to Our Greatest Gains." It points out the fact that in order to win, it is good to lose. Healthy even. It makes sense as well. I know that in many instances in my life I have won, or succeeded, just as I have lost and failed. But in those winning moments, what you're doing wrong gets glossed over and forgotten simply because you won. Being strictly result-oriented is not always a good thing, for it is when you lose when you really step back and analyze what you're doing, and how, and why, etc. Losing also lights that fire. When you get that losing feeling, you get sick of it, and work towards being better.

I am optimistic for this team in our run up to the BE. These guys will be hungry next year! Not as hungry as the 2014 team, but almost. They are learning to win through losing.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
giphy.gif

I am of the opinion that they should win games that we play this year.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
giphy.gif

I am of the opinion that they should win games that we play this year.
Same here, but it's not happening. Something good will come out of it though.

Reaction Score
Losing doesn’t turn into winning without the infusion of talent. As far as I can see we need a big man a point guard and 2 guard who can actually shoot.

Reaction Score
From what I have seen in the last 4 games, there is very little optimism here for the rest of the season. The only positive sequence was the 12-0 run made by the you daters in the Tulsa game.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
From what I have seen in the last 4 games, there is very little optimism here for the rest of the season. The only positive sequence was the 12-0 run made by the you daters in the Tulsa game.
My optimism lies not in this season, but in what I believe all of this losing can translate into for the next few years. These guys have felt pain...when that's paired with new players incoming and a year of experience, the team will be battle-tested for sure. These close games will start to go our way. BE here we come!

Reaction Score
I must say that this season has been rather disappointing. I feel like I've watched the same game over and over again. Go down, come back...go down, come back...and then lose. Free throws and turnovers have absolutely killed us. We have been great at times, and extremely mediocre/borderline terrible often. It has not been for lack of effort however, as I feel that the team truly wants to win, and is hungry to taste it. And that hunger...that feeling of losing...that feeling of being so close, is actually going to be good thing for us long-term. I know CV is leaving, and it's likely that Gilbert will too, but for the young guys on the team right now, I think this season is setting them up for success.

I recently read a great book by Sam Weinman - "Win at Losing: How Our Biggest Setback Can Lead to Our Greatest Gains." It points out the fact that in order to win, it is good to lose. Healthy even. It makes sense as well. I know that in many instances in my life I have won, or succeeded, just as I have lost and failed. But in those winning moments, what you're doing wrong gets glossed over and forgotten simply because you won. Being strictly result-oriented is not always a good thing, for it is when you lose when you really step back and analyze what you're doing, and how, and why, etc. Losing also lights that fire. When you get that losing feeling, you get sick of it, and work towards being better.

I am optimistic for this team in our run up to the BE. These guys will be hungry next year! Not as hungry as the 2014 team, but almost. They are learning to win through losing.

How long does one have to lose for to be healthy and start winning?

Reaction Score

Your optimism was rewarded tonight, it was a nice effort.

Reaction Score
20 wins is definitely on the table still. Last 6 games very winnable and a 6 game win streak leads this team into the AAC tourney red hot and with those 6 wins we’re looking at about 9-9 10-8 I think. So around a 5,6 seed. Good enough to rip off a run and secure an NIT spot and possibly the auto bid. Let’s see how the young guys do on the road with after the confidence booster tonight and let’s see how quickly Sid can recover. Hopefully by the Tulsa game so we can steal a win there and roll through Cincy.

Reaction Score
20 wins is definitely on the table still. Last 6 games very winnable and a 6 game win streak leads this team into the AAC tourney red hot and with those 6 wins we’re looking at about 9-9 10-8 I think. So around a 5,6 seed. Good enough to rip off a run and secure an NIT spot and possibly the auto bid. Let’s see how the young guys do on the road with after the confidence booster tonight and let’s see how quickly Sid can recover. Hopefully by the Tulsa game so we can steal a win there and roll through Cincy.
Let's not do this again. We win one game then someone gets overly optimistic and raises expectations unrealistically. This team will win 17, maybe 18 games. 6-5 for the remainder of the season.

Reaction Score
Let's not do this again. We win one game then someone gets overly optimistic and raises expectations unrealistically. This team will win 17, maybe 18 games. 6-5 for the remainder of the season.
You look at our schedule and I expect this team to win 5/6 of its last games. The toss up is Houston at home who we played tight on the road. Momentum and home court helps us win that. Those 6 wins put us at 17 wins. I think a home win over Cincy is possible, 18, and I’m not counting out a home win over Memphis, 19. Memphis has been playing bad down this stretch, a result of no James Wiseman. I think we can expect to win both these home games. Steal 1 road game, maybe win at Tulsa for once, and we’re there

Reaction Score
Your opinion is VERY optimistic (not a bad thing!) Let's hope that what we witnessed last evening becomes the new standard of play. That being said, please note that the Temple players are nowhere near the caliber of the players at Memphis, Tulsa, Houston or WSU.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom