Opportunity knockin' | The Boneyard

Opportunity knockin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Okay. So here it is, Friday night for me, roughly 30 hours 'til kick off and I'm trying to temper my excitement. This is one of those games where the team has a chance to show that they've turned a corner. I call them opportunity games. We've had many of them over the years, some for bigger stakes, and probably lost as many as we've won (why does W.Va. come to mind). But the feeling is very similar. In this case, it's not even necessarily the chance for a W although that would be a great exclamation point. It's the chance to demonstrate, if only to those of us paying attention, that the dark days are done. Based on what I've already seen, it won't be a catastrophe if we lay an egg -- it'll just be a missed opportunity.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
First road game of the season. Notoriously hostile environment. Facing a top 25 ranked team that is dinged (rookie WRs, #1 RB injured & day to day & not predicted to play). Opposing QB who is highly thought of. Yeah, I'd say that this game is an opportunity to show the Huskies mettle.

Reaction Score
I'm starting to get that feeling back. That " the game just ended, but is it next Saturday yet" feeling. I haven't had it in a long time. Win or lose this is the most excited I've been for a game since Michigan and before that probably go back to 2010/11

Reaction Score
Many interesting things about this game...
Measuring stick for the program (how good or bad is our program right now)
Predictor of the rest of the season
How do our players and coaches stack up against good SEC.
National exposure (ESPN game, top 25 teams covered by National press) double edged sword. No hiding here.
Return game at home in 2017. Huge getting an SEC team to travel to CT.
Good timing for us (not first game like BYU last year).

Can't wait to see the good and the not so good tomorrow.

Reaction Score
i took today off from work because the anticipation for tomorrow is killing me
I remember those days.

I won't be disappointed no matter the outcome. Hoping to be pleasantly surprise. Really want to see how our DLine holds up vs their Oline. I think we have some real players there, but this game should be a real indicator.

I've seen enough the 1st two games to believe things are looking up and that last year was rock bottom. Hope I'm right.

Reaction Score
I'm starting to get that feeling back. That " the game just ended, but is it next Saturday yet" feeling. I haven't had it in a long time. Win or lose this is the most excited I've been for a game since Michigan and before that probably go back to 2010/11

Yeah I don't think there was a single instance I walked out of a game last year with anything less than depression. Beating UCF was great, but no part of me thought, "Wow, we're a really good team" after that game. It was more like, "Wow, there was nobody in that stadium, sitting on the 50 yard line was cool I guess."

Reaction Score
I think the key will be our offensive line. If we give Shirreffs some time and a some running holes for Johnson and Newsome then just maybe we steal a low scoring game!!! I think our defense will have a good game.

I DVR'd the edited replay Mizzou/Ark St game yesterday... This will be the most physical game we've played so far this year. Mizzou brings it.. Their LBs are extremely talented. and their DL is stout... and their OL has some big boys too... On offense they appear to be pretty methodical. If our LBs play sound defense, fill the gaps like their supposed to, and tackle soundly... that, to me is the most important part. On offense, or OL CANNOT play half as bad as they did last year. Not one iota... We'll be in some serious trouble if that happens. Shirreffs would be running for his life the entire time... I just hope we can continue what we've pretty much been doing up from at OL, which is getting better ever game...we do that we could/will surprise some folks tomorrow afternoon.

Reaction Score
I think the key will be our offensive line. If we give Shirreffs some time and a some running holes for Johnson and Newsome then just maybe we steal a low scoring game!!! I think our defense will have a good game.

We have to keep Brothers out of the backfield. I think we need shirreffs to be able to throw for us to win. Lots of 3 step drops and look for a tight end. Pass first to hopefully open up some running room. Our online will be tested.

Reaction Score
I am taking my girlfriend out of town for her birthday this weekend. Going to take some ninja-like maneuvering to get in front of a TV for this game, but I've done more with less.

I am so freakin excited for this game.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I'm expecting to get out-physicaled, though I don't think the gap is as big as most may think. Play good fundamental football, be aggressive, hopefully we get a turnover or two... Let's make some noise!

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
CTMike said:
I'm expecting to get out-physicaled, though I don't think the gap is as big as most may think. Play good fundamental football, be aggressive, hopefully we get a turnover or two... Let's make some noise!

Their DT's are huge and presumably Brothers is pretty quick. Both sound bad for us. I think you can scheme TE/RB chips to neutralize Brothers a bit, but how do you keep a 345 pound NT and his 300 DT friend from blowing up Samra, Vechery and Hopkins? I think that's the game right there. Hold up and we could be in it. If not, I worry for the health of Shirreffs.

Reaction Score
Their offense is questionable enough that I feel UConn's D can keep down the scoring. A couple turnovers, maybe a pic-6 and who knows..maybe the Huskies are still in it going into the fourth quarter. Offensively, we can't ask for miracles. The O-line is getting better but they haven't seen this size(Mizzou's D-line) so monumental task for them Saturday. Can Verducci come up with something that will work against these guys? The ball is in his court now. Work your magic!

I just want to see them make it a game going into the second half vs a decent SEC team. That's not too much to ask.

Last edited:

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
I am thinking it may come down to special teams... we both have great defenses... where we may end up short is our ST. We have not seen an investment in the return game as I perceive it.

Reaction Score
I am taking my girlfriend out of town for her birthday this weekend. Going to take some ninja-like maneuvering to get in front of a TV for this game, but I've done more with less.

THIS IS HER BIG TEST....GET A NEW GIRLFRIEND if she gives you any poop.... if she loves the game and doesn't want to leave your room- she's a KEEPER!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
THIS IS HER BIG TEST....GET A NEW GIRLFRIEND if she gives you any poop.... if she loves the game and doesn't want to leave your room- she's a KEEPER!!!!!!!!

Haha don't think that hasn't crossed my mind.

Reaction Score

Buy her a day of beauty/spa treatment from noon til 3:30. A nice massage, facial, some weird sea foam mud bath, mani/pedi.... Then find the closest bar or use the WatchESPN app on your phone/tablet. Everybody wins.
And don't laugh...I've done this for my wife, my ulterior motives unbeknownst to her.... and everyone (but UConn) did win!

Reaction Score
Buy her a day of beauty/spa treatment from noon til 3:30. A nice massage, facial, some weird sea foam mud bath, mani/pedi.... Then find the closest bar or use the WatchESPN app on your phone/tablet. Everybody wins.
And don't laugh...I've done this for my wife, my ulterior motives unbeknownst to her.... and everyone (but UConn) did win!

Dude you're a freakin genius.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'm hoping for a repeat of 'The Bakery is closed'. If we can protect the ball and maintain our discipline on defense, we should be able to remain in the game throughout. Missouri may have so much that at some point the will overtake us but this could be step one in a march towards relevance.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
Facial. Giggity.

Reaction Score
Their DT's are huge and presumably Brothers is pretty quick. Both sound bad for us. I think you can scheme TE/RB chips to neutralize Brothers a bit, but how do you keep a 345 pound NT and his 300 DT friend from blowing up Samra, Vechery and Hopkins? I think that's the game right there. Hold up and we could be in it. If not, I worry for the health of Shirreffs.

This is where things get dicey... in the trenches... HUGE test......Let's see how Balis has gotten us prepared up front with a full year of strength and conditioning now under his/our belt.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Last time they met didn't Misery kick Caan's ass for 3/4 until Caan rallied for the win?

I say we have a great chance to do the same tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom