Opening Weekend Series v. #4/#8 Louisville in Lakeland Florida (Fri. 2/15 @6p, Sat. 2/16 @3p & Sun. 2/17 @ *12:30p*) | The Boneyard

Opening Weekend Series v. #4/#8 Louisville in Lakeland Florida (Fri. 2/15 @6p, Sat. 2/16 @3p & Sun. 2/17 @ *12:30p*)

Reaction Score
My best guess for a Sunday starter would be either Kenny Haus or Joe Simeone, although it will probably turn into something of a staff day. Somehow I doubt that a freshman pitcher will get a start on this opening weekend.

Reaction Score
Weekend Insider: Opening Week | D1Baseball

From Kendall Rogers:

>3. UConn aims to make early statement

The top of the American Athletic Conference is wide open entering the season outside of East Carolina. The Pirates are the clear front-runner, but the race after the Pirates is intriguing with the Huskies, Houston and UCF leading the charge. UConn has a chance to make a huge statement against Louisville this weekend.

The Huskies have a wealth of depth on the mound. Lefty Mason Feole was previously expected to start the series opener, but will miss at least two weeks after suffering a shoulder strain back in January. Jeff Kersten and Colby Dunlop have experience, though, while all eyes will be on closer Jacob Wallace. Wallace raised eyebrows this past summer with his electric arm, and it’ll be intriguing to see how he fares against one of the nation’s more talented lineups. As for Feole’s replacement, it’s up in the air at the moment.

This series will take place in Florida, so you can throw home-field advantage out the door. UConn taking a series of this magnitude would certainly be good for its reputation and resume, while also being a huge benefit to the conference.<

Reaction Score
My best guess for a Sunday starter would be either Kenny Haus or Joe Simeone, although it will probably turn into something of a staff day. Somehow I doubt that a freshman pitcher will get a start on this opening weekend.

Another possibility for the Sunday starter could be Chase Gardner, assuming he isn't used in relief in the first two games. I'm assuming Gardner will be one of the main guys out of the bullpen this season, and if UConn has close games that they can win in the first two games, than Gardner would come out of the bullpen and see some mound action in those games, precluding him from starting on Sunday. If he isn't used in those games, then he would be a logical candidate to start the Sunday game based on his experience.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I've been at Pirates spring training 3 of the last 5 years, but opted to not go this year. Wish I'd given that some thought now. Would've enjoyed seeing these games.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
Are the games free admission, planning to go on Sunday.

Reaction Score
It really sucks that there's no way to watch this series. If we had played at Louisville, I imagine it'd be on the ACCN/ESPN3.

Reaction Score
Christian Fedko surrounded by Winkel's!

Last season Jeff Kersten struggled against stronger lineups. Let's hope for some improvement there.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Woody is walked, then stranded.

Going to the bottom of the 1st...0-0

Reaction Score
Have a feeling that won't be the first time Winkel gets someone

Reaction Score
Unrelated note anyone know what ever happened to Michael Yarin? Last thing I remember he was having second second thoughts about playing baseball instead of football (instead of baseball).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom