Open practice for students 2:30-3:30pm today | The Boneyard

Open practice for students 2:30-3:30pm today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Any of you current students going? Looks like there are some good giveaways.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
no one live-tweeting or anything?! COME ON STUDENTS!!

Reaction Score
Some little things from today:
-KO is very particular about some things. Wasn't afraid to ride on guys like Gibbs, Dham and others in front of all the students for laziness and other little screw ups
-Emphasized to the team more than once how they want to run this year
-More than half of the hour practice was focusing on a secondary fastbreak and the transition D that comes with that
-Worked on help defense as well. Every one was talking and it was intense. Only player who struggled a bit with the help was Enoch who was a little slow on his rotations once or twice. KO let him know but his teammates were talking him up

Player/other notes:
- In the minimal 5-5 on play that there was DHam got buckets at will.
-Enoch and Brimah had nice chemistry together
-Enoch will play. Plain and simple. Kid is BIG and athletic as hell
-Facey looked good. If he embraces his role off the bench he should be a big help
-Gibbs team was a bit undermanned (him, Nolan, Cassell, Larrier, Calhoun, Miller) so he didn't get anything too easy
-Brimah was the vocal leader but the team still needs a little work in the leadership department. People still figuring it out
-Purv was playing above the rim most of the practice and knocked down a 3 from an extra pass in the 5-5
-Adams was explosive but made a few mistakes. He'll be okay come November. I'm not worried
-Miller...the buzz is real. Absolute glue guy. Does a little of everything. Better scorer and much more athletic than I anticipated

Kind of all over the place with this post. Just got back to the apartment so some of the stuff is gone from the memory bank already. Overall the team looked very solid. Everyone went real hard. KO called me out after for skipping class to attend but ah well. Cya in Houston.

Reaction Score
I thought compared to last year's student practice, KO was really laying it on the players. At one point Amida took a deep two that wasn't really in the flow of the offense and KO immediately called him out on it, Gample got very quiet. Told him not to take contested shots and asked him "How many close games did we lose last year?", basically letting him know we can't have those kinds of mistakes. Larrier also had a pretty sweet move under the rim to score. As already mentioned, Miller's the real deal, took a fadeaway-like shot with a hand in his face and sank it no problem. I think KO really expects greatness this year, should be exciting!

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
-KO is very particular about some things. Wasn't afraid to ride on guys like Gibbs, Dham and others in front of all the students for laziness and other little screw ups
-More than half of the hour practice was focusing on a secondary fastbreak and the transition D that comes with that
-Worked on help defense as well. Every one was talking and it was intense. Only player who struggled a bit with the help was Enoch who was a little slow on his rotations once or twice. KO let him know but his teammates were talking him up

Player/other notes:
-Facey looked good. If he embraces his role off the bench he should be a big help
-Gibbs team was a bit undermanned (him, Nolan, Cassell, Larrier, Calhoun, Miller) so he didn't get anything too easy
-Brimah was the vocal leader but the team still needs a little work in the leadership department. People still figuring it out
-Purv was playing above the rim most of the practice and knocked down a 3 from an extra pass in the 5-5
-Adams was explosive but made a few mistakes. He'll be okay come November. I'm not worried
-Miller...the buzz is real. Absolute glue guy. Does a little of everything. Better scorer and much more athletic than I anticipated

Kind of all over the place with this post. Just got back to the apartment so some of the stuff is gone from the memory bank already. Overall the team looked very solid. Everyone went real hard. KO called me out after for skipping class to attend but ah well. Cya in Houston.

lange10 is "The Man" for today. Nice job, feel free to elaborate -- as well as others who were there.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

How did he know you were skipping class?

Reaction Score
Sorry if I double posted. I thought compared to last year's student practice, KO was really laying it on the players. At one point Amida took a deep two that wasn't really in the flow of the offense and KO immediately called him out on it, Gample got very quiet. Told him not to take contested shots and asked him "How many close games did we lose last year?", basically letting him know we can't have those kinds of mistakes. Larrier also had a pretty sweet move under the rim to score. As already mentioned, Miller's the real deal, took a fadeaway-like shot with a hand in his face and sank it no problem. I think KO really expects greatness this year, should be exciting!

To answer the above question, he asked all the students how many skipped class for the practice, then told us we shouldn't have haha

Reaction Score
Sorry if I double posted. I thought compared to last year's student practice, KO was really laying it on the players. At one point Amida took a deep two that wasn't really in the flow of the offense and KO immediately called him out on it, Gample got very quiet. Told him not to take contested shots and asked him "How many close games did we lose last year?", basically letting him know we can't have those kinds of mistakes. Larrier also had a pretty sweet move under the rim to score. As already mentioned, Miller's the real deal, took a fadeaway-like shot with a hand in his face and sank it no problem. I think KO really expects greatness this year, should be exciting!

To answer the above question, he asked all the students how many skipped class for the practice, then told us we shouldn't have haha

Player/other notes:

Any insight into Brimah's rebounding? Fouling? Was he getting knocked around?

Also, thanks a ton for the information. I enjoyed reading both your posts. I even like the duplicate. It was just as good the 2nd time.

Reaction Score
Sounds like leadership is the only potential hangup.

It would be nice if Hamilton would emerge as a leader, but I think his personality is too quiet and reserved.

Purvis is a great ambassador off the court, but on the court struggles with consistency.

Gibbs is a natural candidate, but he's only been here a few months -- would guys buy into his leadership? Would he seek it?

Maybe Miller? But he's in the same boat as Gibbs.

Does Adams have a Khalid streak in him?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Sounds like leadership is the only potential hangup.

It would be nice if Hamilton would emerge as a leader, but I think his personality is too quiet and reserved.

Purvis is a great ambassador off the court, but on the court struggles with consistency.

Gibbs is a natural candidate, but he's only been here a few months -- would guys buy into his leadership? Would he seek it?

Maybe Miller? But he's in the same boat as Gibbs.

Does Adams have a Khalid streak in him?

We have time. Obviously I don't want this team to go without a vocal leader for too long, but sometimes it takes a couple of games for guys to really find their voice as leaders. This is what I'll be looking for during those first three games, it's really the only thing one can extrapolate from them.

Reaction Score
How did he know you were skipping class?
So, the practice ended and KO came to address the students and it went as follows,
KO: "We here at uconn pride ourselves on honesty and I want yall to be honest with me. Did anyone skip class to be here?"
I promptly decided to be the one of the few kids to tell the truth and raise their hand. KO then looked at me (or so I thought) and stated "oh no no, dont do that. The AD is gonna get mad at me"
Any insight into Brimah's rebounding? Fouling? Was he getting knocked around?

Also, thanks a ton for the information. I enjoyed reading both your posts. I even like the duplicate. It was just as good the 2nd time.
In the transition drill and other defensive drills Brimah ended up on the perimeter quite a bit. Looked pretty solid to be honest. Contained the defender well. From what I remember I don't remember Brimah committing a foul. However, I don't believe he blocked any shots either. Wasn't too much post game stuff today, lots of up and down basketball.

As for rebounding, in the rebounding drills they did where they caught the ball off the glass and either finished it back with a layup or dunk, he looked to be boxing amount the big Amilo pretty well. Had a few solid rebounds in the transition 5-5 stuff as well. Overall I'd say today he looked a bit smarter on the defensive end and slightly improved offensively. Obviously was a small sample though, so take that with a grain of salt but it's easy to see his basketball IQ has grown.
We have time. Obviously I don't want this team to go without a vocal leader for too long, but sometimes it takes a couple of games for guys to really find their voice as leaders. This is what I'll be looking for during those first three games, it's really the only thing one can extrapolate from them.
This. I didn't mean to make it sound as if the guys today didn't show that they had the ability to step up and be that guy. Plenty of guys said a thing or two when necessary but there isn't the one guy always leading the pack. I believe that'll change. They're figuring out their roles. Time will tell who that man may be. In my eyes it'll be Rodney "The Ambassador" Purvis.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Great job, thanks. Only a 1 hour practice but we have been starved for info so far. Wish they would do a blue-white at the XL as in days past.

Reaction Score
Great job, thanks. Only a 1 hour practice but we have been starved for info so far. Wish they would do a blue-white at the XL as in days past.
I remember the Blue and White games in Hartford very well. Id like to know the reason why they stopped doing them.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
I love hearing that lange and Rothstein were both impressed by Enoch this week. Corey Evans also said he would contribute as a freshman earlier this year.

Can anyone speak to his ability to protect the rim? I haven't heard much about his shot blocking, but considering his combination of height, size and athleticism I would think he has upside at least in the shot blocking and rebounding realm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom