ONO using Americup to Grow and Develop | The Boneyard

ONO using Americup to Grow and Develop

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
“It's been a great experience so far, just being able to learn from the best players, best pros,” said ONO. Playing on a team with the likes of Olympic gold medalists Tina Charles and Sylvia Fowles and being coached by Hall of Famer Dawn Staley,

“ At times, a lot of the older players are able to help me to do things I have trouble with or don't understand,” she said. “They've been doing a really good job at that.” Liv said she has been paying close attention to Charles, Fowles and Stefanie Dolson to pick up new moves.

“This summer I've been trying to incorporate more post stuff,” she said. “Coming with that is strength and physicality. I think that was the biggest thing working this summer. Now I've just been trying to observe and learn from the post players and how they play and what they do.”

In addition to watching the post players, she said the biggest adjustment had been adapting to the speed of the game. Fowles, for one, has taken notice of what ONO has done.

“She's a sponge,” Fowles said. “She is soaking up a lot of information out there. She's going out there and putting it all together on the court. To see that happen at her age is very impressive.”

Anyone here think this experience won't benefit her? This experience should accelerate her growth and development far more than she ever could have had she stayed on campus. It’s one thing to be told what to do. It’s another thing to watch and observe what to do.

She’s being tutored by Fowles, Dolson, Charles and Elizabeth Williams. Four of the best post players in the WNBA. She’ll take away something from each one of them. How can she not return to campus a better, smarter and more confident player?

She’s had to adjust to “the speed of the game” twice in the last 12 months. From high school to college, and now from college to international play. Obviously ONO has already made that sophomore leap as has Christyn. Last year (being fresh out of HS) you could say she played on a bit of a slope. This year she’ll play on a level surface with everyone else. Imagine for a moment how good she’s going to be this time next year with 2 years still to play. :rolleyes:

We should see a totally different Olivia Ododa-Nelson in November, when the team cuts the ribbon on the 2019-2020 season with their exhibition opener against Div ll Thomas Jefferson University (Philadelphia) on Sunday November 3.

Jefferson finished 29-3 last year. They lost 4 seniors from that team. Their tallest returning player is 6'1".

Last edited:

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
ONO USA.jpg

Olivia's stats at FIBA tournament:

1. Points - 25 total on 9-17 shooting (52%).
2. Rebounds = 19 (4th on the team)
3. Assists = 6 with 0 turnovers
4. Free throws = 7-10 or 70%
5. Upper body strength increase = significant :cool:

Go ONO..!!

Reaction Score
“It's been a great experience so far, just being able to learn from the best players, best pros,” said ONO. Playing on a team with the likes of Olympic gold medalists Tina Charles and Sylvia Fowles and being coached by Hall of Famer Dawn Staley,

“Definitely at times, but a lot of the older players are able to help me to do things I have trouble with or don't understand,” she said. “They've been doing a really good job at that.” Nelson-Ododa said she has been paying close attention to Charles, Fowles and Stefanie Dolson to pick up new moves.

“This summer I've been trying to incorporate more post stuff,” she said. “Coming with that is strength and physicality. I think that was the biggest thing working this summer. Now I've just been trying to observe and learn from the post players and how they play and what they do.”

In addition to watching the post players, Nelson-Ododa said the biggest adjustment had been adapting to the speed of the game. Fowles, for one, has taken notice of what Nelson-Ododa has done.

“She's a sponge,” Fowles said. “She is soaking up a lot of information out there. She's going out there and putting it all together on the court. To see that happen at her age is very impressive.”

Anyone think this experience won't benefit her? This experience should accelerate her growth and development more than she ever could have staying on campus. We should see a totally different ONO in November when the team cuts the ribbon on the season with their exhibition game against Div ll Thomas Jefferson University (Philadelphia) on November 3. Jefferson finished 29-3 last year. Their tallest returning player is 6'1".
JMO, I think she’ll be much improved but possibly be a little anxious or hyper to start the season but by January she’s going to be a load.

Reaction Score
I think she’ll be reminded of who she played against this summer in practice before every game... as in, no worries, you got this.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
View attachment 46711

Olivia's stats at FIBA tournament:

1. Points - 25 total on 9-17 shooting (52%).
2. Rebounds = 19 (4th on the team)
3. Assists = 6 with 0 turnovers
4. Free throws = 7-10 or 70%
5. Upper body strength increase = significant :cool:

Go ONO..!!
I can't get over how much more mature she looks.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
JMO, I think she’ll be much improved but possibly be a little anxious or hyper to start the season but by January she’s going to be a load.

And that's when she's going to "hone" her chops, at the expense of the AAC, as UConn takes its "fair well" tour around the league. :D She'll get to showcase her skill set at that time as the Huskies host Baylor and Oregon in January and February respectively. She'll be going up against two potential All-Americans in Cox and Hebard. Two match-ups we're all waiting to see. I don't think she'll disappoint.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

“ At times, a lot of the older players are able to help me to do things I have trouble with or don't understand,” she said. “They've been doing a really good job at that.” Liv said she has been paying close attention to Charles, Fowles and Stefanie Dolson to pick up new moves.

In addition to watching the post players, she said the biggest adjustment had been adapting to the speed of the game. Fowles, for one, has taken notice of what ONO has done.

Anyone here think this experience won't benefit her? This experience should accelerate her growth and development far more than she ever could have had she stayed on campus. It’s one thing to be told what to do. It’s another thing to watch and observe what to do.

She’s being tutored by Fowles, Dolson, Charles and Elizabeth Williams. Four of the best post players in the WNBA. She’ll take away something from each one of them. How can she not return to campus a better, smarter and more confident player?

She’s had to adjust to “the speed of the game” twice in the last 12 months. From high school to college, and now from college to international play. Obviously ONO has already made that sophomore leap as has Christyn. Last year (being fresh out of HS) you could say she played on a bit of a slope. This year she’ll play on a level surface with everyone else. Imagine for a moment how good she’s going to be this time next year with 2 years still to play. :rolleyes:

We should see a totally different Olivia Ododa-Nelson in November, when the team cuts the ribbon on the 2019-2020 season with their exhibition opener against Div ll Thomas Jefferson University (Philadelphia) on Sunday November 3.

Jefferson finished 29-3 last year. They lost 4 seniors from last year’s team. Their tallest returning player is 6'1".
I usually like most of what you post. This I really liked. We are on the same page about ONO/Olivia/ . You could see, as Fowles indicated, that she is a sponge it was apparent in March certainly in April. Her progress was meteoric and continues in that trajectory with the WNBA ladies. She, at least to me, is the key for how far Uconn may go this year. If Westbrook is allowed to play, that too will be a significant factor. If (I'm full of If's) Ania fulfills my expectation or for that matter Aubrey Griffin, that could be big.
Still with all my IF's I'm very very high on the potential of this team. FF is not out of the question, regardless of where the pundits label Uconn nor is the NC if all the circumstances arrive at the proper point in April.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom