ONO Helping Kara Wolters at Kids Camp | The Boneyard

ONO Helping Kara Wolters at Kids Camp

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
On the 11 PM news (the local CBS version in Hartford) in the last couple of days, there was a segment on the basketball camp that Kara Wolters runs every summer for girls aged 5-10. One fact in the story which surprised me a little bit is that Olivia Nelson-Ododa is serving as a de facto "camp counselor" (at least this week) in Kara's camp.

I assume that this is unpaid service, since as far as I know paid outside employment is not permitted by the NCAA for scholarship athletes.

Actually, I am slightly surprised that ONO is even in Connecticut at this time. I thought the normal practice was for players to attend the first summer session on campus and then either take a home break during the second summer session or participate in outside tournaments sponsored by USA basketball.

Anyway, glad to see this "community service" being done willingly by ONO to help bring basketball to the girls of north central Connecticut.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
On the 11 PM news (the local CBS version in Hartford) in the last couple of days, there was a segment on the basketball camp that Kara Wolters runs every summer for girls aged 5-10. One fact in the story which surprised me a little bit is that Olivia Nelson-Ododa is serving as a de facto "camp counselor" (at least this week) in Kara's camp.

I assume that this is unpaid service, since as far as I know paid outside employment is not permitted by the NCAA for scholarship athletes.

Actually, I am slightly surprised that ONO is even in Connecticut at this time. I thought the normal practice was for players to attend the first summer session on campus and then either take a home break during the second summer session or participate in outside tournaments sponsored by USA basketball.

Anyway, glad to see this "community service" being done willingly by ONO to help bring basketball to the girls of north central Connecticut.

and I am sure ONO is picking Kara's brains about being a post at UConn. :D

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Olivia is currently in Colorado Springs with Christyn preparing for the PanAm games.

UConn players work Kara’s camp every year it seems.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Scholarship athletes can be paid for a range of jobs including working at camps, summer internships, etc. The NCAA stipulates that they must perform “useful work” and be reimbursed at the “regular rate paid for such duties.” Basically, they cannot be paid extravagant amounts for “no show” jobs.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
And hopefully about staying out of Casa de Bow Wow. :D

BINGO!!! ;) Kara was a resident there off and on over the course of her stay at UConn. Funny thing about the Bow Wow. Despite the horrible living conditions (no maid service, the beds are hard and lumpy, no food service is available and the rooms are dark, dingy and they smell), no reservations are ever needed. The welcome mat is always out, the "in" door is always open, and there's ALWAYS plenty of rooms available. :cool:

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score

Other posters have reported that ONO is staying on campus this summer to attend summer school, and work everyday with the trainers on a daily regimen of weight training and conditioning. No doubt she's also putting in time in the gym working on parts of her game that need work. I expect to see a total metamorphosis in ONO come October. Olivia is currently in Colorado Springs with Christyn preparing for the PanAm games.

Not only physically, but in her approach (understanding of the system) to the game as well. Last year she was learning as she went along. This year she knows what she's doing and what to expect. She enters this season with 533 minutes under her belt, and experience she didn't have this time last year.

It's always been my opinion that ONO will be a starter the next 3 years. She's putting in work now that will payoff during the season and the rest of her time here. She's getting stronger and putting on some weight.

Megan Walker put on several pounds (muscle) over the summer after her freshman year. It was very noticeable at first night last year. Remember the transformation Crystal Dangerfield achieved after her first summer on campus? She picked up the moniker of "Guns" from a BY poster because of how cut and muscular she had become through a vigorous weight training and conditioning program.

The trainers at UConn get results!! I think we'll be pleased when we see the new and improved Olivia Ododa-Nelson 2.0 in uniform at first night in October. :) Can't wait.

I know it's getting late in the summer, but I'm still holding out for that last minute (11th hour) addition to this year's roster.

Classes resume on Monday August 26 (5 weeks). If another player is forth coming, we'll know by then. I have nothing to lose by holding on to that towel just a little longer before I throw it in. ;)

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Scholarship athletes can be paid for a range of jobs including working at camps, summer internships, etc. The NCAA stipulates that they must perform “useful work” and be reimbursed at the “regular rate paid for such duties.” Basically, they cannot be paid extravagant amounts for “no show” jobs.

We saw Didi Richards (Baylor) working at the NBA Summer League in Las Vegas as one of the hospitality team members that performed different duties such as going on tho the floor during timeouts and throw "give-a-ways to the fans in the stands, helping with games and contests for selected fans from the stands during timeouts and half time, working concierge booths in the concourse throughout the arena, etc.

I would have missed her except for the fact that she was wearing her very distinguishable Minnie Mouse (two puffs) hairdo. She was very animated and appeared to be enjoying herself whenever we saw her.

The Las Vegas Summer League hires about 20 college age students each year to help them with various ancillary functions and odd jobs during the games. They fly them in from all over the country the day before the games begin, and put them up at a local hotel. This year it was the Palms Hotel which also was the hotel of choice for the Croatian National team. Each worker received cash up front for breakfast for the 12 days they were there. Along with casual and fine dinning restaurants, the Palms also has a very nice food court in the lobby, including a McDonalds.

Lunch and dinner is provided for them daily in a "green room" underneath the stands because they can't leave the arena once they arrive. My granddaughter (a recent UNLV graduate) was lucky enough to work with/for the summer league the last 4 years as a team leader. She enjoyed it. She said the days were long, but the financial compensation was more than worth it. She got to chat briefly with a player (and his parents) she went to high school with that was there playing for the Timberwolves. :)

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom