Only in the NCAA: UNC benefits from new allegations | The Boneyard

Only in the NCAA: UNC benefits from new allegations

Status
Not open for further replies.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
The highly ranked UNC basketball team will get a stay of execution, probably until after the NCAA tournament this season. UNC is self reporting more violations, this time against their women's basketball team and their men's soccer program. They are throwing those teams under the bus to help out their basketball program (NCAA tournament)and football program (signing day).

Link

Hate this with a passion. UNC needs to burn.

Reaction Score
The highly ranked UNC basketball team will get a stay of execution, probably until after the NCAA tournament this season. UNC is self reporting more violations, this time against their women's basketball team and their men's soccer program. They are throwing those teams under the bus to help out their basketball program (NCAA tournament)and football program (signing day).

Link

Hate this with a passion. UNC needs to burn.
They're too big to fail. They're Citigroup, GM, AIG...

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Unfortunately UNC is one of the schools that receives most favored nation status so they are nearly immune to real punishment. In this case the NCAA twice took a "there's nothing to see here" stance only to have public pressure force them to readdress the issue.

Look for a slap on the wrist to the football and men's hoops programs once all is said and done and major sanctions placed on the programs (men's soccer & women's hoops) who have now been added to the investigations. They are the sacrificial lambs UNC offered up and the NCAA will show they mean business by punishing those two programs severely.

Reaction Score
@Mr. Conehead posted similar thoughts in the basketball forum. Here's what USA Today wrote.

The new developments could delay the conclusion of the process by as much as five months. The NCAA enforcement staff will have 60 days to determine whether the notice of allegations, which was originally delivered to North Carolina in late May, needs to be amended. If so, the university will get 90 additional days to respond, at which point a hearing would be scheduled with the Committee on Infractions.

That would essentially move the timeline to receive penalties from early 2016 until the middle of the year — and spare the men’s basketball team, which will be highly ranked to begin the 2015-16 season, any threat of an immediate postseason ban.

Reaction Score
I remember the late 90's NCAA investigation into the payment of Michigan basketball players by a booster who was laundering money from a gambling operation.

It took maybe five years to investigate and line up all of the payments....Chris Webber was a big deal at the time and it got my attention. I remember Michigan setting its own penalty and withdrawing from tournament consideration in the early-mid 2000's.

I think the program received 3-4 years probation and loss of schollies...but it took a long time to settle out....sometimes these things do.

I suspect that UNC will get hit harder then Michigan did....since UNC had an organized academic fraud going on for a long period while Michigan only had players being paid by a booster for some years..... I do not recall there being any school involvement like at UNC.

Reaction Score
I looked up some past NCAA cases....Michigan basketball did lose a Big Ten Championship..and several final four appearances.

UNC, even if they play this year, could have any championship or tournament appearance wiped clean retroactively by the NCAA....and certainly will for the years of the transgressions.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
UNC will get the same slap on the wrist that Syracheat got. I have absolutely zero faith in the "NCAA" to hand down appropriate penalties anymore.

Reaction Score
"Last month, Meghan Austin, a former player of Hatchell’s and now a coach herself, drew national attention to the differing perceptions of the men’s and women’s programs in acolumn published in The News & Observer. She claimed that UNC is sacrificing Hatchell and her program to the NCAA to spare men’s basketball and football.

“With the NCAA allegations, I am trying to wrap my head around how the women’s basketball team has been made the scapegoat in all of this,” wrote Austin, the women’s basketball coach at Montreat College near Asheville. “Our program was not the only team in the report, yet we are the ones being talked about the most. Roy Williams and his program were in the report, and he got a contract extension. The football program was in the report, and its coaching staff was confident enough to tell recruits that they will not receive any repercussions from the NCAA investigation.”"

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/education/unc-scandal/article31148684.html#storylink=cpy

dayooper

Reaction Score
I remember the late 90's NCAA investigation into the payment of Michigan basketball players by a booster who was laundering money from a gambling operation.

It took maybe five years to investigate and line up all of the payments....Chris Webber was a big deal at the time and it got my attention. I remember Michigan setting its own penalty and withdrawing from tournament consideration in the early-mid 2000's.

I think the program received 3-4 years probation and loss of schollies...but it took a long time to settle out....sometimes these things do.

I suspect that UNC will get hit harder then Michigan did....since UNC had an organized academic fraud going on for a long period while Michigan only had players being paid by a booster for some years..... I do not recall there being any school involvement like at UNC.

One of the big issues was Ed Martin himself. He was under investigation for money laundering. He was using a select few Michigan bball recruits to cover up his illegal gambling operation at the Ford River Rouge plant. He was actually giving money to Webber when he was a middle schooler! It first came to light in 1996 when a Ford Explorer that had a recruit, Mateen Cleaves, flipped over coming home from a party. From then on, Michigan was in on the investigation of Martin.

The investigation included the FBI, IRS, and other agencies. Once they were involved, the NCAA used what it could from the case against Martin and accepted most of Michigan's self sanctions, while doubling their probation and post season ban. It took 6 years for Martin to be dealt with by the Feds and those 6 years were worse than any of the sanctions. The cloud over Michigan was thick and they had a hard time recruiting or even hiring a decent coach. Recruits were afraid that they would be hit hard by sanctions and avoided The Wolverines like the plague. Michigan had an 11 year NCAA tourney drought brought on by the cloud. Michigan State and Tom Izzo took advantage of the void Michigan left and built a great program in East Lansing, winning the NCAA championship in 2001 with Mateen Cleaves as the star player.

The time frame for Michigan was brought on by the investigation of Ed Martin. The NCAA was using their findings and would wait out the long run. That time frame killed Michigan basketball (as it should have). It could have been worse as Ed Martin died in 2003, before he could testify in Webber's trial. Who knows what other findings may have come out, as the Feds offered Webber a plea bargain once Martin passed.

Reaction Score
Dayooper Michigan story about Big Ed Martin is an interesting one..brought to light by Jalen Rose in the ESPN 30 for 30 on the Fab 5. It blows my mind that the NCAA has dropped the hammer on schools like UM, USC, Alabama, OU, I can go on and on....yet schools like UNC and Syracuse will skate. I guess it really is all about what school you are that dictates your punishment.

dayooper

Reaction Score
Dayooper Michigan story about Big Ed Martin is an interesting one..brought to light by Jalen Rose in the ESPN 30 for 30 on the Fab 5. It blows my mind that the NCAA has dropped the hammer on schools like UM, USC, Alabama, OU, I can go on and on....yet schools like UNC and Syracuse will skate. I guess it really is all about what school you are that dictates your punishment.

One of the things Michigan did was cooperate fully. They swept house in '97, firing Steve Fischer and opening their books for the NCAA to pour through. In 2009's stretch gate, Michigan did the same thing. Nothing was found except Michigan exceeded their practice time by 20 minutes a day (their warm-up time). They received probation when it wad found that a grad assistant was, supposedly on his own, watching and coaching during off season workouts. The newspaper story that started the mess claimed that Rich Rod was exceeding the allotted practice time by 2-3 hours. If I remember correctly, USC AD Mike Garret was saying some pretty stupid things, like they are only accusing us because they are jealous of our success.

It seems if they have some way to get solid evidence (or your school opens up and let's you in with a fine tooth comb), they will hammer you. I'm still waiting on what happens to UNC.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
One of the things Michigan did was cooperate fully. They swept house in '97, firing Steve Fischer and opening their books for the NCAA to pour through. In 2009's stretch gate, Michigan did the same thing. Nothing was found except Michigan exceeded their practice time by 20 minutes a day ( their warm-up time)
That's what I don't get about UNC and Cuse..they denied...and in UNC's case blatantly dished blame to other programs. Yet they both come out of this pretty much unscathed..and more importantly off the radar.

dayooper

Reaction Score
That's what I don't get about UNC and Cuse..they denied...and in UNC's case blatantly dished blame to other programs. Yet they both come out of this pretty much unscathed..and more importantly off the radar.

Sorry, there's more. My big fingers and iPad "keyboards" don't go together very well.

Reaction Score
Is the NCAA not capable of dealing with separate sports separately? If there are no "new" MBB or FB "findings" then rule on them while looking into new WBB or water polo or whatever. Did MBB & FB break rules...obviously...pretty grossly...2 year post-season ban, loss of schollies and move on. Why it takes years upon years to complete an NCAA investigation should be investigated.

Reaction Score
Is the NCAA not capable of dealing with separate sports separately? If there are no "new" MBB or FB "findings" then rule on them while looking into new WBB or water polo or whatever. Did MBB & FB break rules...obviously...pretty grossly...2 year post-season ban, loss of schollies and move on. Why it takes years upon years to complete an NCAA investigation should be investigated.

One word - Money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger