OT: only 4 sticks for 18 holes, what you got? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: only 4 sticks for 18 holes, what you got?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I played for first time this year a couple weeks ago. Took my travel bag. Noticed I had a 2I in it and used it on 2nd hole. Then I muttered to myself, "Why in hell do I still carry this thing?"

Mine is a Tour Edge driving iron. Looks like an iron from the front side, and has the back side of a hybrid. Metal face and metal shaft. I am much more relaxed swinging a metal shaft than a graphite. Haven't carried a driver in over 2 years.

Tour Edge Golf

If I'm playing a longer course I'll throw in a Taylor Made 3-wood. 15 degree loft and I can go out to about 245 with that.

Last edited:

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
"Golf is yardage." if you meant to say 'golf is garbage" as in, a garbage game, full of garbage rules ('but I only hit one shot into the pond!'), played by garbage people, then I agree. but if you meant what you said, then I respectfully disagree. im in the 'golf is hittin it straight' camp. wait, check that, I meant to say 'golf is hot garbage.' gotta luv it. lol.

Reaction Score
In standard 3 club tourneys the putter is a given and not counted as one of the three clubs you get to choose. Atleast that’s how o have always heard it played

Reaction Score
I played in enough 3 club events to know one has to be a putter at least for me .
My other choices would be 3 wood and 9 iron .
Only because I could hit my 3 , 230 off the tee/ deck. Or shorten it to 150 yards.
I could also vary my 9 from 135 to 90 simshortening the club. or even chip with it.
I just moved to a new community with also has a course it suppose to be good .i’ave only hit a few buckets. at the range but I’m getting the itch to give it a go.
With 4 clubs
3,7, PW, putter.
Fills all the blanks and I would probably shoot my average.

Reaction Score
I think using a putter is short sighted.

Driver. Gives you yard advantage off the tee. And you can putt out of the fringe with it.

Hybrid. Variety of uses. Long par 3. In the rough. Chipping.

7 iron. Here’s the rub. I can putt lefty with my 7 iron. No need for a putter.

Pitching wedge. Obvious reasons.

Golf is yardage. And a driver and hybrid eat that up. Wedge and 7 iron manage you 150 in.
For a few years I played in a Thanksgiving morning 9 hole 3 club tournament and the first year didn't bring a putter.
I learned my lesson.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
3 wood, 5 iron, gap wedge (50 deg) and putter. I can do just about anything with my 5 iron. 3 wood is 240 off the tee. That’s enough for most courses.

Reaction Score
If anyone wants to go up against him playing those four clubs on a course he knows? Let’s talk wagers.

We used to hang out on weekends after golf at the club we played, play cards have a few more. For many it was their first few a couple of us we already had a few while playing we're just on a roll. Once a month or so we'd get a crew of guys who's wives were out or away so they'd stay a little longer. Suddenly one of the guys who just started after their round has now had 4-5 and says let's go 3 clubs (putter didn't count) $5 a hole with 6-8 guys with carry overs, greenies, birds etc etc...I'm all in. I was carrying anywhere from 6-9 hcp but I had no change in vision going back out while I know the 1-4 hcp'ers are now at the very best my equal and usually not even that. I'm 10-12 cocktails in (a lot younger than now mind you, well a little bit) they're 4-5 as I said but this is where I want them. And they know it has to be straight up because I now feel as if I have the advantage and I did. Driver-7-GW and man I had some nice paydays.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Mine is a Tour Edge driving iron. Looks like an iron from the front side, and has the back side of a hybrid. Metal face and metal shaft. I am much more relaxed swinging a metal shaft than a graphite. Haven't carried a driver in over 2 years.

Tour Edge Golf

View attachment 44181

If I'm playing a longer course I'll throw in a Taylor Made 3-wood. 15 degree loft and I can go out to about 245 with that.
They look like Browning 440s, circa 1975...

Reaction Score
Driver, 7 iron, PW, putter and pray that I don’t embarrass myself.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
3 wood, 7I, GW, Putter. I used to play in a one club, 9 hole tourney once a year. New guys were always pissed they couldn't use putter. We didn't allow any golf bags on the course. One club and your shoe bag for balls, tees, etc(liquor). I only played a six or seven iron. Some guys played a hybrid. Not something I'd do regularly but once a season it was fun. There is a national one club tourney. I remember reading about in SI faces in the crowd. Some guy shot 66 to win with a 6 iron.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom