OT: Online streaming services | The Boneyard

OT: Online streaming services

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
what are some good services that are streamable Other than Netflix that offers the same if not better content?

Reaction Score
like cable? or similar to netflix?

Hulu is pretty good for a little cheaper for having commercials. Commercial free option is more than Netflix.

Amazon is decent, but I feel only a benefit if you have Prime because its included.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
like cable? or similar to netflix?

Hulu is pretty good for a little cheaper for having commercials. Commercial free option is more than Netflix.

Amazon is decent, but I feel only a benefit if you have Prime because its included.
Anything online that reasonably cheap and has great to good content(shows,movies,documentaries). Hulu and hbo go people keep mentioning

BaZZnBOAT

ONIONS!
Reaction Score
Depends on what you like. I think each streaming service corners a market (to an extent)

Netflix is low on quality films, but have great shows and make their own content. Their library is dwindling though. HBO GO is great... If you like HBO. Hulu is Netflix but with ads. They had Criterion films on there for a while but I don't think that's a thing anymore. A lot of Viacom properties (Comedy Central, Cartoon Network) are on Hulu. Amazon Prime is a more filled out Netflix but less original content.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Depends on what you like. I think each streaming service corners a market (to an extent)

Netflix is low on quality films, but have great shows and make their own content. Their library is dwindling though. HBO GO is great... If you like HBO. Hulu is Netflix but with ads. They had Criterion films on there for a while but I don't think that's a thing anymore. A lot of Viacom properties (Comedy Central, Cartoon Network) are on Hulu. Amazon Prime is a more filled out Netflix but less original content.

This is mostly the answer. Hulu is a consortium of the major broadcast networks, minus CBS, so if you like shows from ABC, NBC, Fox and Turner, it will deliver all of those.

Amazon Prime has movies and some TV shows, and original content. It's similar to Netflix in that regard, with the differences being in which movies and TV shows it has, and the individual content obviously. The original content has grown rapidly and has probably caught Netflix at this point. HBO GO is whatever movies are running or have recently run on HBO, plus their unique content (Game of Thrones etc.). Starz is the same as HBO, with less of both. But I added Starz to Amazon Prime to stream it.

The simply reality is that there is no one thing that can replace cable cheaply. You need to decide what you can do without. Original content will always be unique and they try to keep movies they have off the other streaming services. There is some overlap between Netflix and Amazon, but not as much as you'd think.

Reaction Score
I use Watch Series to stream every show that I like and the subreddits r/nbastreams, r/nflstreams and r/cfbstreams to stream all the hi-def live sports I want.

Reaction Score
I wish there was a way to get the local channels (antenna doesn't work) , the important sports (UCONN, Yankees, Giants) and get rid of cable or dish but it doesn't yet exist. Maybe in a couple years.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I wish there was a way to get the local channels (antenna doesn't work) , the important sports (UConn, Yankees, Giants) and get rid of cable or dish but it doesn't yet exist. Maybe in a couple years.

Same here.

I think the new Hulu service will get me closest to being able to cutting the cord, but it's not there yet. I had high hopes for the YouTube service, but I tried the free trial and having to 'cast' everything to the television is a world-class pain in the ass and completely unnecessary.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I was able to get a lifetime Plex membership for $100 a couple years back, and have a few friends we can stream from.

It is pretty easily the best streaming service I've used, with the obvious caveats.

Reaction Score
Same here.

I think the new Hulu service will get me closest to being able to cutting the cord, but it's not there yet. I had high hopes for the YouTube service, but I tried the free trial and having to 'cast' everything to the television is a world-class pain in the ass and completely unnecessary.

I have directvNow which is like the HULU service or the youtube service you mention. it casts from my phone also, but could be used on an apply tv or amazon fire stickor other devices. I have every tv in the house equipped with a chromecast so casting isn't that bad.

The hulu i believe is available on a roku also which many people have. no need for casting.

Reaction Score
I have Netflix Amazon & Sling TV on two Roku's

Unfortunately I don't watch too much TV, or fortunately.

I find myself on Sling the most

Reaction Score
I know there was a thread a couple of years back about this, but I was wondering if SNY is carried on any of these other services yet?

Reaction Score
As others have mentioned, side-loading Kodi onto an Amazon Fire Stick and then downloading the Exodus program will give you free access to damn near anything. There are step-by-step how-to guides online which any reasonably tech savvy person can follow (it's really not that complicated).

For anyone into classic, indie, arthouse, and cult movies: FilmStruck is amazing. It's a streaming service by Turner Classic Movies and the Criterion Collection. Essentially a Netflix for film snobs.

FilmStruck: Classic Movies For Film Lovers, By Film Lovers

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
As others have mentioned, side-loading Kodi onto an Amazon Fire Stick and then downloading the Exodus program will give you free access to damn near anything. There are step-by-step how-to guides online which any reasonably tech savvy person can follow (it's really not that complicated).

For anyone into classic, indie, arthouse, and cult movies: FilmStruck is amazing. It's a streaming service by Turner Classic Movies and the Criterion Collection. Essentially a Netflix for film snobs.

FilmStruck: Classic Movies For Film Lovers, By Film Lovers
Would, for example, FilmStruck be available via Kodi/Exodus on Fire Stick?

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
I know there was a thread a couple of years back about this, but I was wondering if SNY is carried on any of these other services yet?
SNY streams off NBCSports app on my Apple4, but you need a log-in from a subscriber, it's still not offered stand-alone

Reaction Score
I've been happy with PlayStation Vue. I get virtually all the sports channels except CBS Sports. The 35/month package is pretty reasonable. Built-in On Demand, DVR, etc. works on Roku. The menu is very responsive.

For me, the important thing is getting a bunch of sports channels (ESPN, NBC Sports, BeIN, Fox Sports), AMC, FX, BBC America (Planet Earth II!), etc.

No local Fox/ABC but you get CBS/NBC which isn't too bad.

Here's the channel lineups.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom