One very errant thought concerning the future of UCONNs conference alignment | The Boneyard

One very errant thought concerning the future of UCONNs conference alignment

Status
Not open for further replies.

connectikev

RIP, Kev (3/4/2018)
Reaction Score
Ok - so it s a very minor point - but has anyone else considered the limits on tailgating at the Rent as something that would have to change if an invite to the ACC or B1G were to happen?

I believe that in most of Big 10 country that the RV's start rolling in mid week for the games - not sure about tailgating in the ACC, but I can't imagine the southern states would limit tailgating to the extent that we see here in East Hartford.

Reaction Score
BC has a really bad rep for "game experience"...although the city is great to visit in the fall.......But who cares?

Tailgating is really for the home crowd when your stadium is more than a days drive from your conference opponents.

The greatest tail gaters now going are the SEC brethren who flock across the south on any fall weekend. Because so many of their conference games are within a days drive.

I doubt that there would be a lot of RVs from Florida, Georgia, Virginia, North Carolina, Louisville tailgating...Just as there are few tailgaters in Tallahassee from other than Miami, Clemson, and GT.

Reaction Score
BC has a really bad rep for "game experience"...although the city is great to visit in the fall..But who cares?

Tailgating is really for the home crowd when your stadium is more than a days drive from your conference opponents.

The greatest tail gaters now going are the SEC brethren who flock across the south on any fall weekend. Because so many of their conference games are within a days drive.

I doubt that there would be a lot of RVs from Florida, Georgia, Virginia, North Carolina, Louisville tailgating...Just as there are few tailgaters in Tallahassee from other than Miami, Clemson, and GT.

BC's rep is well-earned. They simply have no land around the stadium. It's like putting The Rent in West Hartford Center. Their best tailgating spot is an outfield on a Division I baseball stadium, and to tailgate there, you have to drop about $1,200 per year in donations to get one parking pass.

A few schools came to The Rent in tailgating hordes, but not many. West Virginia (an SEC-type school) always tailgated pretty well here, and Navy had a HUGE tailgate in 2006 before they delivered arguably the worst loss in the history of The Rent in 2006. Syracuse, Pitt, etc., all were virtual no-shows, and Rutgers wasn't much better.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I want them to extend tailgating NOW, regardless of conference affiliation. 4 hours is simply not enough time to get set up, cook, and then break down to get into the stadium. I've said a million times that UCONN needs to open a RV lot 24 hours before kickoff and encourage New Englanders/Tri-Staters to drive up from wherever they are. "Regular" lots should open 6 hours before kickoff and stay open 2 hours after the end of the game. Opening earlier would allow fans from all over drive to East Hartford and enjoy the day and game.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Maybe Husky tailgaters could a "fastest tailgate" award, kinda like F1 pit crews. I for one can shovel down the grub at a tremendous pace.

Reaction Score
In the NE it seems only RU(outside PSU)and UConn seem's to have learned the art and Arkansas fan's said they didn't expect it in NJ but were impressed and enjoyed the experience!?! With being in the B1G it'll only get bigger in NJ. Myself I'm not a tailgater but an excellent guest! It seem's the B1G schools are culturally big on school's that elevate and appreciate the event before and after THE EVENT(the game)! Some don't even go inside to watch the game.Temple/BC/Pitt maybe due to location haven't mastered the TG experience? At SU its a minor event again maybe due to location and weather ?

Reaction Score
In the NE it seems only RU(outside PSU)and UConn seem's to have learned the art and Arkansas fan's said they didn't expect it in NJ but were impressed and enjoyed the experience!?! With being in the B1G it'll only get bigger in NJ. Myself I'm not a tailgater but an excellent guest! It seem's the B1G schools are culturally big on school's that elevate and appreciate the event before and after THE EVENT(the game)! Some don't even go inside to watch the game.Temple/BC/Pitt maybe due to location haven't mastered the TG experience? At SU its a minor event again maybe due to location and weather ?

If your only frame of reference is places like RU, SU, Pitt etc, you my friend are in for a real religious experience.
1236622_10200762309167695_1184404744_n.jpg

Reaction Score
I'm sure these would change in a heartbeat if the B1G wanted it to. Not a concern

Reaction Score
If your only frame of reference is places like RU, SU, Pitt etc, you my friend are in for a real religious experience.
1236622_10200762309167695_1184404744_n.jpg
No my friend some like Arkansas fan's were shocked and impressed at RU's TG experience and even the B1G are amateur's(I now thats a stretch) in there eyes! They(SEC) guys know tailgating! SU and the others you mentioned hardly tg and too be honest I only do as a guest as its a fairly new(Schiano era) thing at RU as he changed the culture around there. But like BB said its mostly a home game thing for the most part at RU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom