One...two...three...Together! | The Boneyard

One...two...three...Together!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
As I watched the wonderful young ladies that comprise the UConn WBB team over the past few days at Webster Bank Arena, I couldn’t help but think about what it is that motivates them to play so incredibly hard: sprint the court time after time, dive on the floor for loose balls and high five each other until their hands must hurt.

Geno, the Master Motivator, and his coaches have something to do with getting every last ounce of effort out of his team, but when asked how he motivates his team to play so hard, Geno will tell you that you start by recruiting, “Really motivated players.” Yes, it’s true. This is a team of really motivated players that compete at virtually everything they do: academics, CD’s trivia games, cooking competitions, hand-clap videos and most importantly, championship WBB.

But there are lots of really competitive players who work very hard to succeed. IMO there is still something more to the UConn Huskies team that accounts for their incredible effort and motivation. I believe that as much as any team I’ve ever seen, THIS TEAM PLAYS FOR EACH OTHER. I can imagine that the worse possible outcome for each and every member of the team would not be losing. It would be letting down their teammates.

While I cannot say with certainty that this team will bring back their 12th championship banner from Dallas this coming weekend, what I can say with absolute certainty is that each member of this team will do everything humanly possible to help their team achieve that goal.

One…two…three…TOGETHER!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
When I think about UConn WBB, I invariably compare them to the Marines. Semper Fi (always faithful) seems to characterize the way the Huskies approach challenges as a team.

Reaction Score
Andy Landers made a comment based on Geno saying the team didn't have an identity, that each game the identity was different. Andy said the identity of this team is that they are a team more than any other team he has seen. If one part fails, they pick that player up. They are in it together.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
As I watched the wonderful young ladies that comprise the UConn WBB team over the past few days at Webster Bank Arena, I couldn’t help but think about what it is that motivates them to play so incredibly hard: sprint the court time after time, dive on the floor for loose balls and high five each other until their hands must hurt.

Geno, the Master Motivator, and his coaches have something to do with getting every last ounce of effort out of his team, but when asked how he motivates his team to play so hard, Geno will tell you that you start by recruiting, “Really motivated players.” Yes, it’s true. This is a team of really motivated players that compete at virtually everything they do: academics, CD’s trivia games, cooking competitions, hand-clap videos and most importantly, championship WBB.

But there are lots of really competitive players who work very hard to succeed. IMO there is still something more to the UConn Huskies team that accounts for their incredible effort and motivation. I believe that as much as any team I’ve ever seen, THIS TEAM PLAYS FOR EACH OTHER. I can imagine that the worse possible outcome for each and every member of the team would not be losing. It would be letting down their teammates.

While I cannot say with certainty that this team will bring back their 12th championship banner from Dallas this coming weekend, what I can say with absolute certainty is that each member of this team will do everything humanly possible to help their team achieve that goal.

One…two…three…TOGETHER!
Two things:
Those chairs next to Geno aren't particularly comfortable! :eek::cool:
and:
If you wanted to be just like everybody else, why did you come to Uconn! :)

That last was something he said in one of the press conferences, and he said it is almost a daily refrain of his in practice. It was new to me as an emphasis. (He has also said this year that is part of his recruiting pitch - if you want to be just like everyone else, choose another school, if you want to be something special and challenged to be more than you thought you could be, come to Uconn.)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Andy Landers made a comment based on Geno saying the team didn't have an identity, that each game the identity was different. Andy said the identity of this team is that they are a team more than any other team he has seen. If one part fails, they pick that player up. They are in it together.
I also note that in the most recent episode of "March to Madness" the HBO folks have started to pick up on the theme of "Together" and how it is the foundation of UConn's success.

Reaction Score
Havent seen the HBO series yet, but from about halfway through the season, when I would hear that this team doesnt have an identity, I thought, Yes, they do: "Together!" That defines this team, it is their identity. Period.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom