One thing Diaco is very good at | The Boneyard

One thing Diaco is very good at

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In game defensive adjustments. UVA was killing us with a horizontal passing game on drives 2 and 3 when they scored all ten of their points. I believe he made an adjustment that left us a little exposed to passes over the top, but didn't let UVA complete short passes all day churning out 1st downs.

There are frustrating things about him, but the last 2 games I believe he has made some really good in game adjustments to fix an area where we're getting killed. Against Navy they took away the pass over the top that killed us early.

Reaction Score
As frustrated as i am about this offense, he does have some really good qualities as a coach imo:

- He recruits better than any coach we've ever had (debatable, sure, but the offer sheets are like none we've seen here)

- The kids seem to love him, and they want to play hard for him

- Pretty good as a hype-man. We've never had a coach with a real personality

- Prioritizes strength, conditioning, diet, sleep, etc... "New school" stuff by comparison

Obviously there are negatives (everything about the offensive philosophy), but that's for another thread.

C

Chief00

If we are so conditioned and strong why does our offensive line not drive off the line of scrimmage?

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
If we are so conditioned and strong why does our offensive line not drive off the line of scrimmage?

those two traits do not always translate into success as an offensive linemen. poor technique, hands, feet and leverage will render even the strongest linemen ineffective.

Reaction Score
those two traits do not always translate into success as an offensive linemen. poor technique, hands, feet and leverage will render even the strongest linemen ineffective.

There is something else going on here that i cant quite put my finger on.

Too often we see 6 or 7 of our guys blocking 5 of theirs (well, i might add), 1 or 2 being doubled, and in comes another from somewhere totally unblocked, or barely touched. It almost seems like the calls on the line are missing blitzers, or maybe BS is - i dont know.

We rarely get "out-physicalled" on the line. We just miss that extra guys are coming...or from where.

The other one ive seen is that a OL purposely disengages with his man to go to the second level before BS has let go of the ball. In that case, either BS has to let go of it quicker, or the WR's have to get open downfield. Either way, that's another case of it being mental/scheme rather than physical...imo

Reaction Score
He is superb with clock management. I think he is busy looking in the mirror half the game.

Reaction Score
You know one odd thing I noticed during time outs the team huddles up and he sort of goes to the back almost like he wants to get in but the big kids won't let him. Now I'm sure the other coaches are there giving instruction and all...depending on who is on the sidelines but I've never seen a head coach who isn't in that huddle. Or completely away from it. Just odd.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
There is something else going on here that i cant quite put my finger on.

Too often we see 6 or 7 of our guys blocking 5 of theirs (well, i might add), 1 or 2 being doubled, and in comes another from somewhere totally unblocked, or barely touched. It almost seems like the calls on the line are missing blitzers, or maybe BS is - i dont know.

We rarely get "out-physicalled" on the line. We just miss that extra guys are coming...or from where.

The other one ive seen is that a OL purposely disengages with his man to go to the second level before BS has let go of the ball. In that case, either BS has to let go of it quicker, or the WR's have to get open downfield. Either way, that's another case of it being mental/scheme rather than physical...imo

without knowing who is calling the protection it is difficult to know, sometimes its the center calling signals, the QB or even just the senior/ elected linemen. I really dont have any interest in breaking down our film but im sure we could find the issues if we did.
in regards to the intentional disengagement it may be broken screen plays/ delayed screen plays.

Reaction Score

It gives people like you something to gripe about in a generally positive thread.

Reaction Score
Each game the team's initial defensive plan/execution has been found wanting and required massive changes after the 1st 2/3 possessions by opponent. Rather than call that brilliant adjustments I call it piss poor game planning/strategy when your coaches review game film and opponent and pick a starting defensive scheme that doesn't work. I'd expect a good strategy would work initially, opponent makes adjustments that work better and then UConn adjusts to their adjustments.

C

Chief00

It gives people like you something to gripe about in a generally positive thread.
Quite frankly, it was the head coach who said he wanted a tough running identity not me. The difference between that goal and the reality is stark.

Reaction Score
All coaches have strengths and weaknesses.

Diaco runs a tight ship. He seems have a very firm grasp on how to run an organization.

This is this best behaved group of kids we have seen under any 1A coach. No shooting up traffic signs or road beer runs. That comes from the top down.

His teams almost always perform better in later in the game. He makes the proper adjustments, they are in condition, they don't show any quit.

His style may be odd but he understands the importance of PR. He promotes the programs at every opportunity. Far better than P. or E

C

Chief00

All coaches have strengths and weaknesses.

Diaco runs a tight ship. He seems have a very firm grasp on how to run an organization.

This is this best behaved group of kids we have seen under any 1A coach. No shooting up traffic signs or road beer runs. That comes from the top down.

His teams almost always perform better in later in the game. He makes the proper adjustments, they are in condition, they don't show any quit.

His style may be odd but he understands the importance of PR. He promotes the programs at every opportunity. Far better than P. or E

I am with Calhoun on this - like to have at least a couple of guys on a team ready for a fight in the parking lot afterwards.

Also, I think explosive strength is more important than cross country like conditioning for the OL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom