One Small Step for Women’s Coaches | The Boneyard

One Small Step for Women’s Coaches

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Former Wisconsin & WNBA WBB player Tamara Moore has become the first woman to be named a HC of a MBB program. Moore will take over as the HC at Mesabi Range College in Virginia, MN.
Not to disparage the achievement but who/what is that school and what context is there-is this a new program? Has it been a good program? Was is a terrible program? Why did the last coach leave? Is this a logical "success" opportunity or a "Hail Mary" pass that there's nothing to lose...

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not to disparage the achievement but who/what is that school and what context is there-is this a new program? Has it been a good program? Was is a terrible program? Why did the last coach leave? Is this a logical "success" opportunity or a "Hail Mary" pass that there's nothing to lose...
It’s a small, accredited JC in Northeastern MN that’s been around for a number of years. Their mascot is a Norseman. Obviously, they are not a big time MBB program, but you have to start somewhere.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Thanks OD, so instead of asking you all these questions, I just did some digging myself and it wasn't pretty. This team has not updated it's website at all. The Athletic Director lists himself as the HC and the roster is not a tall as most P5 WCBB programs. Their record this past year was 6-19 so to me, this is a "hey, what to we have to lose by hiring a local WNBA celebrity and garnering press". Which, if the school wanted to create "buzz" why isn't their website updated? I am not sure she is being supported to be successful but that's also a separate issue.

Seems like Frank Robinson with the 1970's Indians, nice start to finally have but a terrible team and situation but as you note, you have to start somewhere.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Former Wisconsin & WNBA WBB player Tamara Moore has become the first woman to be named a HC of a MBB program.

Not quite.

"Moore isn’t the first woman to coach a basketball team. In the 1990s, Kerri-Ann McTiernan became the first woman in the country to be the head coach of a men’s college basketball team at Kingsborough Community College in New York."

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not quite.

"Moore isn’t the first woman to coach a basketball team. In the 1990s, Kerri-Ann McTiernan became the first woman in the country to be the head coach of a men’s college basketball team at Kingsborough Community College in New York."
I stand corrected.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom