One opinion on B12 expansion from OK | The Boneyard

One opinion on B12 expansion from OK

Status
Not open for further replies.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Bob Bowlsby made a bunch of nonspecific comments about whether the B12 plans on expanding or not. A columnist from Oklahoma (maybe a Blaudschun of the Plains?) looked at the tea leaves and interpreted the vague commissioner-speak into english:

The Big 12 needs to make sure, he said, that “if we ever add anybody, that they are of the ilk of the 10 schools and have helped all boats rise. We spend a lot of time talking about conference composition.”
What does that mean? It means the Big 12 is being selective. If a Florida State/Clemson duo becomes available, yes, expansion works for the Big 12. But Connecticut/Cincinnati or BYU/Boise State? No.

Reaction Score
Bob Bowlsby made a bunch of nonspecific comments about whether the B12 plans on expanding or not. A columnist from Oklahoma (maybe a Blaudschun of the Plains?) looked at the tea leaves and interpreted the vague commissioner-speak into english:

Uh, no need to include us there, especially since the person used the words: "the ilk of the teams in the conference."

There are a lot of teams in that conference not named Texas.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Look at the Big 12 footprint. Look at the teams in the conference. The Longhorns ARE the conference. Seriously, the old Big East that we knew and loved could have been a better conference than that. Easily.

Reaction Score
On the bright side, we were mentioned in the same breath as FSU, Clemson and BYU. Schools with national championships in football. We'll go to a "power conference" in a matter of time. Anyone notice ESPN showing an angle with the video screen advertising UConn football while DeAndre Daniels was shooting free throws in OT? ESPN loves us.

Limbo Land

Pounding Down the Doors!
Reaction Score
This is a non issues since we never would have been part of the big 12 and nor should we.

Reaction Score
If the Big 12 takes in Pittsburgh and/or Syracuse then we will be considered by the Big 12. Open your eyes.

Limbo Land

Pounding Down the Doors!
Reaction Score
If the Big 12 takes in Pittsburgh and/or Syracuse then we will be considered by the Big 12. Open your eyes.

No chance... If the Big 12 makes it through expansion without losing teams to the Pac 12 I would be shocked. If they have to come to us then they will be really in bad shape. Sorry Fl State and Clemson are their choices and they don't want us in the ACC they sure don't want us in the Big 12.

Reaction Score
You really cannot see the obvious trends. Continue on in your misery.

Limbo Land

Pounding Down the Doors!
Reaction Score
There is no misery just objectivity. There is no obvious trends for us going to the Big 12. None, nada... ACC yes, B1G slight possibility but us going to play with those schools in Big12 you have to be clearer with what you mean by trends. Not once has Uconn even been mentioned by anyone with any credibility as a target to play out in the midwest. The few that come through are solely lonely people sitting in their basements throwing something against the wall hoping that they can later say they were the first to say it was going to happen. You provide me with one piece of evidence that Uconn could possibly been in the mix or even mentioned by a reliable source I will bow down to your superiority.

Limbo Land

Pounding Down the Doors!
Reaction Score
By the way I live between Big 12 and Big 10 country. I am pretty well versed in what is going on.

Reaction Score
You provide me with one piece of evidence that Uconn could possibly been in the mix or even mentioned by a reliable source I will bow down to your superiority.
No need for bowing, but we are being insanely mentioned (as in number of times) as a realignment candidate.

Limbo Land

Pounding Down the Doors!
Reaction Score
As we have been since this has all started... and each time someone fairly or unfairly blocks us. There are not many (if any schools like Uconn) left that even fits the bill for realignment. Of course we will be mentioned... but not for the Big 12

Reaction Score
I am sorry I even drag this out but we've just been mentioned by someone who interviewed the commissioner of the Big 12. He was speaking of package deals.

Cincinnati/Connecticut might be more valuable for the Big 12 than BYU/Boise State anyway. They want to expand east more.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
No need for bowing, but we are being insanely mentioned (as in number of times) as a realignment candidate.

UConn is to realignment what the Newtown kids are to gun control.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Big12 leadership aren't fools. They're well aware that the conference footprint is the smallest of any major conference. They have 5 states. Only one is in the top 50% of states by population, and #2 (Oklahoma) is the same size as .....yeah, CT. Things may be fine now with a newly inked TV deal and a GOR, but they're well aware that long term health on the national stage is going to require exposure in more media markets.

I don't think they look northeast - they want to expand southeast. But they have some decisions to make.

Reaction Score
The B12 goes to 16 by adding Pitt, UCONN, Cuse, FSU, Clemson and Louisville. At first it seems crazy, but the more you think about it, it might be a brilliant move.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Big12 leadership aren't fools. They're well aware that the conference footprint is the smallest of any major conference. They have 5 states. Only one is in the top 50% of states by population, and #2 (Oklahoma) is the same size as .....yeah, CT. Things may be fine now with a newly inked TV deal and a GOR, but they're well aware that long term health on the national stage is going to require exposure in more media markets.

I don't think they look northeast - they want to expand southeast. But they have some decisions to make.

The problem with the GOR is that is an extension of the TV deal. If the TV deal gets reopened for negotiation it is possible that the current GOR becomes null and void until a new one is negotiated.

Expansion will be tough. I think the Big 12 will look to survive by an alliance with either the Pac 12 or the ACC. With Texas they have a big bargaining chip.

Reaction Score
I live in Big 12 country. UConn is a nonentity here. So is Iowa State frankly, but they are just lucky I guess.

Reaction Score
The B12 goes to 16 by adding Pitt, UCONN, Cuse, FSU, Clemson and Louisville. At first it seems crazy, but the more you think about it, it might be a brilliant move.
That move would be insanely brilliant. Imagine all the championships the Big 12 would add. All are championship-caliber athletic departments.

Reaction Score
I don't know how many teams the B12 will add, and I don't know the timing, but I think it is going to be unavoidable that they add at least 2 and it will probably happen in the next couple of years. I simply can't see the Big 10, PAC and SEC all putting their champ at risk in a conference title game while the Big 12 champ takes a pass and gets healthy to boot. To say nothing of the pressure they'll get from the tv folks.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
That move would be insanely brilliant. Imagine all the championships the Big 12 would add. All are championship-caliber athletic departments.
Um... what? We're talking about adding Pitt, Clemson, Cuse... adding to the likes of Texas Tech and Iowa State and they're all championship caliber? Since when? FSU has regressed to the point of irrelevance too. At least UConn has a bunch of basketball trophies but our BE football championship doesn't carry much weight outside of Connecticut, I'm afraid.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I am sorry I even drag this out but we've just been mentioned by someone who interviewed the commissioner of the Big 12. He was speaking of package deals.

Cincinnati/Connecticut might be more valuable for the Big 12 than BYU/Boise State anyway. They want to expand east more.

I seriously doubt that they want to expand east, unless you count getting Missouri and Arkansas back. I suspect that they'd jetison WVU in a heartbeat if they had a replacement. However, they may have no choice. But I strongly suspect that they prefer "midwestern" schools. Louisville and Pitt could be a fit, or the best football schools they can poach, which would be FSU and Clemson.

Ironically, if not for the lousy ACC contract and the B12 GOR, the ACC would be in much better shape than the Big 12.

Reaction Score
I seriously doubt that they want to expand east, unless you count getting Missouri and Arkansas back. I suspect that they'd jetison WVU in a heartbeat if they had a replacement. However, they may have no choice. But I strongly suspect that they prefer "midwestern" schools. Louisville and Pitt could be a fit, or the best football schools they can poach, which would be FSU and Clemson.

Ironically, if not for the lousy ACC contract and the B12 GOR, the ACC would be in much better shape than the Big 12.

Exactly. It is incredibly doubtful that a football centric conference is going to want to expand further into a zone where college football isn't as popular.

UConn currently is a dead end in that regard. The recruiting territory doesn't have much to offer comparitively, and with Coach Blue at the helm, the program is a big fat down arrow.

This doesn't apply to Cincy. They are in a good territory and they are definitely not down arrow for the time being.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom