One Night in CT--pet friendly | The Boneyard

One Night in CT--pet friendly

Reaction Score
Hey folks,

For somebody that is a Uconn fan, I know painfully little about things to do in CT...lol.

This place never fails to amaze with good(?) ideas, so here's your mission

Wife and I are going to a friends house in East Haven on Saturday...Fri is Mrs NJHusky's Birthday...thought it would be nice to spend a day/night in Ct before heading to East Haven Sat afternoon. As mentioned, will have our dog so any hotel needs to be pet friendly

I found the Litchfield Inn which seems like a nice enough place..enough there to keep us busy for a day?

TIA

Reaction Score
Hey folks,

For somebody that is a Uconn fan, I know painfully little about things to do in CT...lol.

Wife and I are going to a friends house in East Haven on Saturday...Fri is Mrs NJHusky's Birthday...thought it would be nice to spend a day/night in Ct before heading to East Haven Sat afternoon. As mentioned, will have our dog so any hotel needs to be pet friendly

I found the Litchfield Inn which seems like a nice enough place..enough there to keep us busy for a day?

TIA
Litchfield is nice.

The inn was totally renovated about 15 years ago, I worked there when I was a kid. Crazily enough, I started the weekend after the old owner offed himself and they were having a memorial for him at the inn. That being said, It's not haunted no matter what anyone tells you, was only built in the 80s.

Great for hiking/walking - you've got the White Memorial Foundation property in Litchfield and Steep Rock Preserve down in Washington.

Town center is nice and has some nice restaurants. Locally you also got Materia and Arethusa al tavolo. If you want pizza before going down to New Haven area, Portnoy gave Sasso's in Torrington an 8.1. There is also an excellent Neapolitan pizza place in Torrington call Pizzeria Marzano.

You've also got several breweries - legitimus in New Hartford, clocktown in Thomaston, lasting brass in Watertown - and wineries/vineyards - Haight Brown and Sunset meadows are closest - in the area if that's your speed. And there is also the Litchfield distillery which gives tours.

Reaction Score
Litchfield is nice.

The inn was totally renovated about 15 years ago, I worked there when I was a kid. Crazily enough, I started the weekend after the old owner offed himself and they were having a memorial for him at the inn. That being said, It's not haunted no matter what anyone tells you, was only built in the 80s.

Great for hiking/walking - you've got the White Memorial Foundation property in Litchfield and Steep Rock Preserve down in Washington.

Town center is nice and has some nice restaurants. Locally you also got Materia and Arethusa al tavolo. If you want pizza before going down to New Haven area, Portnoy gave Sasso's in Torrington an 8.1. There is also an excellent Neapolitan pizza place in Torrington call Pizzeria Marzano.

You've also got several breweries - legitimus in New Hartford, clocktown in Thomaston, lasting brass in Watertown - and wineries/vineyards - Haight Brown and Sunset meadows are closest - in the area if that's your speed. And there is also the Litchfield distillery which gives tours.
Thx for suggestions..I’ll keep the part about the inn to myself. Lol

Reaction Score
Litchfield Inn is fine, but nothing special. The town is very pretty, quaint quintessential New England vibes.

If you're into good food and nice, but small towns Bantam and New Preston is nearby. If you make your way to New Preston, check out Lake Waramaug. The Smithy Cafe at 9 Main is a nice spot for lunch and it's my usual spot to get food prior to heading to Mohawk Mountain.

If you're OK driving a little further, New Milford is nice and you can check the Elephant's Trunk. Kent is pretty too.

Overall, there will be plenty to do in that area and just a fun spot to explore.

Al Czervik

Oh, it looks good on you though.
Reaction Score
Hey folks,

TIA
I grew up in Litchfield and you can find plenty to keep you busy for a day. Haven’t been to the inn for a long time and defer to the other poster.

White memorial is dog friendly and is my favorite place to spend time outdoors in ct (Elliot field is a close second). Download the AllTrails app, punch in white memorial, and you can find plenty of places to enjoy the scenery (Your dog will love it too). The boardwalk is a fan favorite and takes about 45 minutes to complete (easy walk).

The outdoor patio at the marketplace is pretty neat and the inside is super unique as it was an old prison that kept some of the old feel. The village restaurant is the local hub and is solid for the ambiance and the food. Arethusa, materia, and west st grill are your higher end options. Reservations to those three on short notice will be a challenge but well worth it if you are foodies.

You can hit the historical society museum off the town green (free I believe) and walk to the first formal law school in the country from there. Plenty of shops on the green too, or you can chill on a bench there too.

The Litchfield distillery is not far from the inn and you could do a tasting there. The closest breweries are decent but not necessarily worth the drive (i.e., Kent falls or legitimus). Hope this helps, and that you guys have a great time!

Reaction Score
Litchfield is nice.

The Litchfield Inn owner was a man wrapped in mystery, a lot of strange stories about how he made his money.

Haight Vineyard finally closed but there's several other vineyards up there now.

Materia and Arethusa are considered two of the best restaurants in the state but incredibly pricey for not a lot of food.

@NJHusky other restaurants-

@ The Corner in Litchfield- Carlos is a creative and skilled chef

Da Capo in Litchfield- good Italian food with a lot of options.

Tramonti in Thomaston- awesome Italian food. They bring out complimentary family style trays of bruchetta, antipast, and mussels in spicy red sauce even before you order your meals. Huge portions served in wood boats, deep wood bowls, and seafood in pots. It was in small storefront in a little strip mall and would get packed, I think they moved to a larger location nearby recently.

Geppeto's in Torrington- really good Italian food. Homemade pastas with a couple things like rabbit you won't see at most places.

GW Tavern in Washington Depot- country pub food with a pretty location.

Hopkins Inn on Lake Waramaug- Austrian food. They probably haven't changed the menu in 50 years or the decor inside but I like the place. Sitting outside on the deck for lunch gives you a beautiful view of the lake.

Zini's in Bantam which is a section of Litchfield- good Italian food. Doesn't look like much from the outside but it's a nice room inside with nice stonework and nice lighting.

Berkshire Cafe Torrington- local hangout for pizza, salads, sandwiches. Been there forever and it's a cool old building.

White Horse Pub in Marbledale- British pub food- solid with a big menu and really pretty location and cool building. One of the most popular restaurants in the state so call ahead for a reservation.

You're going to want to call ahead at all these places for dinner. Litchfield has become a destination town and a destination restaurant area. They're in the process of opening three boutique hotels in town.

Reaction Score
They're in the process of opening three boutique hotels in town.
The old courthouse, the old rest home, and where? I know Toll Gate reopened(?) Or is reopening. and I've heard the Inn is planning a pool for next year. Exciting to see this tourism growth in the area.

Reaction Score
The old courthouse, the old rest home, and where? I know Toll Gate reopened(?) Or is reopening. and I've heard the Inn is planning a pool for next year. Exciting to see this tourism growth in the area.
The old Toll Gate was what I was talking about for the third one.

In all honesty I have mixed feelings about how much the town has changed. I like how there's so many good food/dining options now and some tourism is good but the overall feel of the town has changed dramatically and it's all much more upscale now. It feels much more like an overcrowded Fairfield County town and it's lost a lot of it's charm IMO. The town simply can't support the traffic it gets now and there will be even more changes on the way. Townspeople are fighting to stop a major housing development next to Westleigh by an old troublemaker who moved up from Arizona and East Litchfield is now zoned for fast food places.

Reaction Score
The old Toll Gate was what I was talking about for the third one.

In all honesty I have mixed feelings about how much the town has changed. I like how there's so many good food/dining options now and some tourism is good but the overall feel of the town has changed dramatically and it's all much more upscale now. It feels much more like an overcrowded Fairfield County town and it's lost a lot of it's charm IMO. The town simply can't support the traffic it gets now and there will be even more changes on the way. Townspeople are fighting to stop a major housing development next to Westleigh by an old troublemaker who moved up from Arizona and East Litchfield is now zoned for fast food places.
Is there another locale you would recommend?

Reaction Score
If you're doing Litchfield, then there is a ton of great hiking in the area. Somebody mentioned some easier walks, but there are also more challenging if you're up for it.

I love the loop in Macedonia State Park. I think it's about 6 miles and you go up and down over three peaks, a half a day trip.

Reaction Score
Traffic is definitely an issue. I avoid the town center when I can on the weekends. Especially coming up from Thomaston, I will take 109/209 instead of 254/118.

Reaction Score
Is there another locale you would recommend?
Not really, Litchfield is definitely worth visiting and I think you'll like it. I'm just speaking as someone who grew up there and has seen how much it's changed.

Reaction Score
So he's eventually going to end of in East Haven, but everywhere is suggesting that he up (from NJ?) to Litchfield before backtracking to go to East Haven...

Any Fairfield County or New Haven area suggestions that meet the original Fri/Sat pet-friendly request?

Reaction Score
So he's eventually going to end of in East Haven, but everywhere is suggesting that he up (from NJ?) to Litchfield before backtracking to go to East Haven...

Any Fairfield County or New Haven area suggestions that meet the original Fri/Sat pet-friendly request?
We’re open. I suggested Litchfield as it seemed quaint. Don’t mind driving past east haven. Thx for all suggestions

Reaction Score

The median of I-95 is lovely this time of year. :)
Oh wait, there’s not even a median on I-95. Or is there?

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
We’re open. I suggested Litchfield as it seemed quaint. Don’t mind driving past east haven. Thx for all suggestions
I have a couple spare rooms and 3.5 acres of dog run heaven in Old Lyme. 25 minutes straight up 95 shoreline from East Haven . Nice area. My office is in Essex a few minutes away if you are looking for a quaint town. Or you can be in mystic 20 minutes from there or RI beaches in about 35. Hit me up if you’re so inclined.

Litchfield county is nice but that is akin to your final destination being Pittsburgh and stopping in Minnesota

Reaction Score
These are the prices for hotel rooms for the two new hotels in Litchfield, the third one that's going to open up will be just as expensive or cost even more. The town has completely changed, it's for the rich now.

Screenshot_20240711_110838_Facebook.jpg

Reaction Score
These are the prices for hotel rooms for the two new hotels in Litchfield, the third one that's going to open up will be just as expensive or cost even more. The town has completely changed, it's for the rich now.

View attachment 102309
I live in Norwalk a mile from a hotel that charges $850/night.

No chance we could afford to own in my neighborhood if we didn’t purchase back in 2016. The value of our home is up at least 35% since then.

Reaction Score
I live in Norwalk a mile from a hotel that charges $850/night.

No chance we could afford to own in my neighborhood if we didn’t purchase back in 2016. The value of our home is up at least 35% since then.
Litchfield always had some people with money but the people living in the big houses on the main streets uptown paid less than you would think for those houses and they always lived in them. Now they're second homes for rich New Yorkers and everyone else is getting priced out. It used to be a mix of people in town and despite the big old colonial houses the majority of the town was middle class. It was changing before the pandemic but since the pandemic it full blown feels like a rich Fairfield County town.

Once upon a time I thought I might move back someday but I find myself now not even wanting to visit like I used to. It's lost what made it so nice.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackruy1

Top Bottom