One Name I'd Take More Seriously | The Boneyard

One Name I'd Take More Seriously

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Look, I hated the guy as coach of our rival as much as anyone, but Greg Schiano ought to be one name that we are seriously looking at. A number of reasons:

1. We aren't going to be turned around overnight just by X's and O's. We need a rebuild. Like Edsall did here, but like Schiano did at Rutgers. You need a good staff, you need to be able to recruit better players, and then better players, then them, again and again. And you need loyalty to the institution because this is going to take time. Check.

2. As any times as we called Schiano a snake oil salesman -- and not without reason -- players loved playing for him. For all his flaws, that is what HCBD has going for him for 2 2/3 years, until the team quit on him at the end of last year. We will need this to get through the hard times. Check

3. The * show that is Rutgers will mean that Schiano will have ties in New Jersey stronger than RU will have for years. That doesn't mean we will compete with Michigan and Penn State for 4 and 5 star kids, but it means that we can compete with Rutgers for the 3 star guys they build on. Check.

4. We are not in a high school football area, and we need a coach who an evaluate talent and determine who is going to develope into a football players four and five years out. Like Edsall did, but Schiano did too, especially at the beginning.

5. Finally, if you think a name will help, we are talking about a guy who coached in the NFL.

This is a job Schiano would take and stay at. I would be looking at this option seriously, especially if Moorehead isn't interested. It doesn't feel right because of how I hated him at Rutgers but it makes logical sense.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I want an offensive minded coach. Schiano wouldn't make my top 4. Any coach must be under 45 years old.

Reaction Score
Look, I hated the guy as coach of our rival as much as anyone, but Greg Schiano ought to be one name that we are seriously looking at. A number of reasons:

1. We aren't going to be turned around overnight just by X's and O's. We need a rebuild. Like Edsall did here, but like Schiano did at Rutgers. You need a good staff, you need to be able to recruit better players, and then better players, then them, again and again. And you need loyalty to the institution because this is going to take time. Check.

2. As any times as we called Schiano a snake oil salesman -- and not without reason -- players loved playing for him. For all his flaws, that is what HCBD has going for him for 2 2/3 years, until the team quit on him at the end of last year. We will need this to get through the hard times. Check

3. The * show that is Rutgers will mean that Schiano will have ties in New Jersey stronger than RU will have for years. That doesn't mean we will compete with Michigan and Penn State for 4 and 5 star kids, but it means that we can compete with Rutgers for the 3 star guys they build on. Check.

4. We are not in a high school football area, and we need a coach who an evaluate talent and determine who is going to develope into a football players four and five years out. Like Edsall did, but Schiano did too, especially at the beginning.

5. Finally, if you think a name will help, we are talking about a guy who coached in the NFL.

This is a job Schiano would take and stay at. I would be looking at this option seriously, especially if Moorehead isn't interested. It doesn't feel right because of how I hated him at Rutgers but it makes logical sense.
As much as I would be disappointed with this hire you make some good points BL.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I think his name has been mentioned by almost all the pundits as "Top X" candidates.

I think he will be reached out to for interest.

Is that serious enough?

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I'm not so sure if GS would stay at UConn if he replicated his Rutgers record here or improved on it. But I trust DB's judgement to make that call. And if any coach were to pull a Herman (double digit wins and bail) let's face it, that's considered success for any AAC school.

Reaction Score
I said this before Diaco got the job and got laughed at. He had just been fired in Tampa.

Schiano and Edsall are very similar imo.

I would still seek out an offensive minded Coach 1st and foremost and listening to Benedict, I think he understands that FB today means you have to score points.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I hate to agree with this because his game management skills were close to BD's blockhead level, but his teams played hard and he would easily be the best recruiter we have seen.

I remember game management issues...and wasn't he the guy who botched the whole Tom Savage thing? Benched him and then he transferred. I get the logic...and it wouldn't be a total fail, but I think UConn needs something different.

Reaction Score
I would trust Schiano could bring in a strong OC and run a modern offense

Also key is QB coach, the UConn QB play has been awful during these last 6 seasons

I said this before Diaco got the job and got laughed at. He had just been fired in Tampa.

Schiano and Edsall are very similar imo.

I would still seek out an offensive minded Coach 1st and foremost and listening to Benedict, I think he understands that FB today means you have to score points.

Reaction Score

He is a chimp, but if he wants to talk, then we should listen.

Reaction Score
Getting insulted by a loser Mets fan is awesome

JSM1970 likes the Schiano Idea. I submit this as the ultimate proof that Schiano is a tool and would be a disaster here.

Reaction Score
He has serious game management issues. But on the other hand, he is not just a good recruiter. He gets a team ready, solid gameplanning, fundamentals. I guess that counts as Xs and Os, but game management was always a concern.

Reaction Score
I remember game management issues...and wasn't he the guy who botched the whole Tom Savage thing? Benched him and then he transferred. I get the logic...and it wouldn't be a total fail, but I think UConn needs something different.

Savage got beaten out. Potential NFLers get outplayed from time to time by kids without NFL potential. That happened in Piscataway. How is that a bad reflection on Schiano?

Reaction Score
You can slam Schiano's Record, but where he started at Rutgers was far far worse than where Uconn is at now. Rutgers was a dumpster fire burning at a million degrees. It had * facilities, a beyond apathetic fan base that accepted being terrible, and decades of losing to overcome. Uconn has nice facilities, a fan base that expects winning and responds to it, and a recent past of success to point to. I'm not saying he would be a grand slam, but with the right staff he could definitely win in The AAC.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
You can slam Schiano's Record, but where he started at Rutgers was far far worse than where Uconn is at now. Rutgers was a dumpster fire burning at a million degrees. It had * facilities, a beyond apathetic fan base that accepted being terrible, and decades of losing to overcome. Uconn has nice facilities, a fan base that expects winning and responds to it, and a recent past of success to point to. I'm not saying he would be a grand slam, but with the right staff he could definitely win in The AAC.

All well and good. Still don't care. Still don't want him.

Reaction Score
I really don't want Shiano. However, BL, I respect you and your opinion on the Boneyard and would be willing to give him a shot because you make an excellent argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom